PDA

View Full Version : Ph.D.?

doubleanti
06-16-2006, 01:20 AM
I'm not sure if I want to pursue a Ph.D. after my M.S.

On one hand I love research and teaching. But on the other hand, I'm very weary of the E.E. curriculum. I want to do mathematical / behavioral science, but I cannot be sure it will perk my interests. What are some pros / cons of doing a Ph.D.? Anyone here have one that could shed some light? Thanks.

-da

Mario F.
06-17-2006, 03:23 PM
No one really replied to this... maybe because they got confused like I did. But... how should I put this...

What are some pros / cons of doing a Ph.D.?

Cons? Well... I can only think one. You would have a few more years of study ahead. But is that really a con? I don't think so. Especially in your field. And if research and teaching are what you like... what are you waiting for!?

(What's an E.E. Curriculum?)

Sang-drax
06-17-2006, 03:47 PM
But is that really a con?
I'd grasp every opportunity to stay in school. IMO being a student beats working by far.

SlyMaelstrom
06-17-2006, 04:17 PM
I'd grasp every opportunity to stay in school. IMO being a student beats working by far.Yeah, paying money is way cooler than making money!

Anyway. If you want to teach, then a PhD is a good idea. It makes it significantly easier to be hired by top universities.

Perspective
06-17-2006, 04:23 PM
>Yeah, paying money is way cooler than making money!

I don't know where you live, but Grad Students here get paid to study.

I'm just starting my Masters in September and I'm thinking about the same thing. I think I'll end up working a few years before I persue a PhD. Teaching is something i'd like to do later in life when I'm ready for a change of pace. Tough decision

SlyMaelstrom
06-17-2006, 04:27 PM
>Yeah, paying money is way cooler than making money!

Paid to study? Maybe if you work as a teaching assistant. Tuition still cost money. At least where I live.

In any event, you still paid a faction of the amount you could get in real work. And if you're looking to hold a full time job while working for your PhD, expect to have no private life. :) That's the only real con I can think of. It's A LOT of work.

Mario F.
06-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Pursuing a PhD and working at the same time is more than an option. Its a necessity.

SlyMaelstrom
06-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Yes I know it is. Even getting a Masters you need to work a long side of it. Fortunately, many companies will help you pay your tuition. Regardless, it leaves little to no "you" time and if your married, you'd better have a spouse with plenty of tolerance.

Mario F.
06-17-2006, 05:15 PM
and if your married, you'd better have a spouse with plenty of tolerance.

Oh man... You can say that twice. And once more for good measure!

Sang-drax
06-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Here too. Ph.D. students have a quite nice salary. They have to do 20% teaching, or something like that.

Thantos
06-17-2006, 06:09 PM
The Uni near me pays the tution of teaching assistants and research assistance plus they get a salary.

kermi3
06-17-2006, 07:02 PM
>>Paid to study? Maybe if you work as a teaching assistant. Tuition still cost money. At least where I live.

I'm going to be headed to PhD grad school (in psyc not CS) in a couple years, and I'm hoping that schools will may me to come. Research grants, TAing, endowments, etc. will hopefully foot the bill so I can "spread the university name"

For my field, it's a necessity, but I enjoy the learning aspects of it, so I can't really see any cons...except the dissertation, that kinda scares me.

alphaoide
06-17-2006, 07:14 PM
I'd grasp every opportunity to stay in school. IMO being a student beats working by far.

Nothing beats learning by doing. As of now, I'm not even thinking on getting my master degree until I foresee the day that my employer and others value master degree than experience. (Or when I needed a promotion/salary increase that could only be attained by having a master degree.)

webmaster
06-28-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm going to be headed to PhD grad school (in psyc not CS) in a couple years, and I'm hoping that schools will may me to come.

except the dissertation, that kinda scares me.

I'm sure you can find someone to help you proofread.