PDA

View Full Version : I got my free copy of Visual Studio 2005!

Sentral
06-13-2006, 01:31 PM
My copy of Visual Studio 2005 came into today! It was from some thing Microsoft had for ASP.NET, all I had to do was watch some videos and they sent everything to me free of charge. I didn't have to pay for shipping or anything. It came with a huge book on ASP.NET, which I might read since I love Microsoft so much ;) I think the contest is still running so check it out! It was fast shipping too, I only waited a week or so.

SlyMaelstrom
06-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Yes, I got it about a week ago. It took a while to get here, I thought it was a scam. I was very pleased and would suggest anyone to do it.

richdb
06-13-2006, 02:37 PM
and how do we get this....?

Sentral
06-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Go to microsoft.com! Then you have to watch some movies about ASP.NET and then you get your free stuff.

cboard_member
06-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Specific linky plskthxbai.
I can't find it anywhere.

GanglyLamb
06-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Im so lucky to have a msdna account :) You just get all these cool nifty Microsoft programs for free :D
That is if I pay my shool fee , which is around 526 € .

But it's worth it, you can download every microsoft OS , dbms , dev tools etc ...

SlyMaelstrom
06-13-2006, 02:52 PM
The link is:

http://www.learn2asp.net/Campaign.aspx

You have to sign up or whatever. They don't spam you. Then select a category, start downloading three of the videos to the desktop, refresh, it should say they sent you the package and wait a few weeks.

Except you can't do it because it's US and Canada only. :p Hehehehe

I'll register on another computer and send you a copy.

EDIT: Actually they don't send it to Canada anymore, either. hehehehehe
I win twice.

cboard_member
06-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Oh cool! Thanky you :)
EDIT: PM me about it.

axon
06-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Im so lucky to have a msdna account :) You just get all these cool nifty Microsoft programs for free :D
That is if I pay my shool fee , which is around 526 € .

But it's worth it, you can download every microsoft OS , dbms , dev tools etc ...

same here.

Frobozz
06-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Shoot. Figures I find out about this after I ordered a student edition. Oh well. Not like I use it much anyways. :P

richdb
06-13-2006, 07:10 PM
so this is a full version they send? I don't understand why they would do that.

Sentral
06-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Yes, this is the full version Standard edition. It has everything the other Visual Studios have. Such as J#, C#, C++, VB, and a bunch of other crap I wont use. :)

VirtualAce
06-13-2006, 11:01 PM
My copy of VS 2005 standard came from a programmer who went to one of their tech releases meetings/conventions for it. His company didn't use it or want it so he gave it to me.

So I figure since MS gave it to him and he gave it to me, it's all legal.

MS doesn't seem to be so concerned over their tools and technology as much as they used to. Perhaps it's because any joe with a computer can download a top notch Java IDE, docs, and samples for free.

This is good for hobbyists. Also with MS's release of .NET Express 2005 it seems they realize that hobbyists make up a large portion of their users and/or customer base. These are a couple of good changes that have happened at Microsoft.

When you horde information, technology, and tools in the long run you hurt yourself.

SMurf
06-14-2006, 03:14 AM
Considering that it's widely known that MS makes their dough off Office, they should do the same with Windows. Then you have a Linux killer. :cool:

kermit
06-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Considering that it's widely known that MS makes their dough off Office, they should do the same with Windows. Then you have a Linux killer. :cool:

Not necessarily. Money is not the only, nor the strongest reason why I stick with Linux. As just one example, I would be lost without my shell.. And I think there are others like me. :) Sure, you can get a shell under windows, but it is not native to Windows, and it shows.

Mad_guy
06-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Got mine about 3 weeks ago, awesome development environment and the MSDN disks are great too. I've been meaning to get an MSDN account, when I get the money, since it looks quite worth it.

BobMcGee123
06-15-2006, 02:33 PM
I am sticking with visual C++ 6, but I did just receive Mein Kampf and The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich from Amazon.com today. That silly wittle adolpf was such a wascally wabbit!

indigo0086
06-15-2006, 07:07 PM
I just did it, they said they were shipping. Now when I become a real programmer I'll have use for it.

hdragon
06-15-2006, 07:32 PM
So did i. Now i have to watch those videos
Do they send it rightaway or we have to finish watching those video?

SlyMaelstrom
06-15-2006, 09:27 PM
If they said they were shipping, then they're shipping.

It took a while for me, though, so be patient. Like 3 weeks.

valis
06-16-2006, 12:21 AM
It would be linux killer if it was good for anything other than games I can't get running on linux natively or with wine, sucking, and development of applications that can be sold.

CartoonLarry
06-16-2006, 07:49 AM
It has been just over 7 weeks for me and still nothing. :(
Hopefully I will receive it next week. *Patiently waiting* :rolleyes:

Wraithan
06-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Wow, nice tip, didn't know about this deal going through the stuff now.

mrafcho001
06-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Seems like you have to be working for a buisness in order to be able to sign up for this...

indigo0086
06-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Seems like you have to be working for a buisness in order to be able to sign up for this...

I am a clerical worker at Cprogramming incorporated.

pianorain
06-21-2006, 11:48 AM
I am a clerical worker at Cprogramming incorporated.Indeed. Did you know that Govtcheez, Inc. had a programming department? ;)

indigo0086
06-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Indeed. Did you know that Govtcheez, Inc. had a programming department? ;)

They turned me down...apperantly you need something called a "college degree". Discrimination at it's finest.

valis
06-22-2006, 02:49 AM
They turned me down...apperantly you need something called a "college degree". Discrimination at it's finest.Did they just send you an email or what? I'm working for the second company this year but I definitely don't have a degree yet. I hope they send me things anyway. :(

indigo0086
06-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Did they just send you an email or what? I'm working for the second company this year but I definitely don't have a degree yet. I hope they send me things anyway. :(

I was joking :o

and is the VS 2005 Express free? Is it pretty good?

Mario F.
06-22-2006, 08:04 AM
2005 Express is free and it's... ermm... ok. I'm a tad bit annoyed at the fact the IDE leaks memory and at all the default settings you will need to change just to write strict ISO C++.

It's probably why I don't care much about this offer. I intend to use only C++. And mostly portable code. In the end Visual C++ won't even be my tool for any release versions I may produce. The debugger is awsome and I must say the compiler is too. It makes for a great debugging tool. I also like the GUI. But that's about it.

minGW implementation of C++ seems to me more serious and stable. It makes for a great release compiler.

indigo0086
06-22-2006, 08:11 AM
I've been trying to get eclipse to work with C++ but I just can't seem to get it working. There is a minGW thing for eclipse that you can download as an extension but in the end I just can't figure how to set it up. I like eclipse's debugger (well for java at least). I'd love to see a net-beans minGW extension or something.

Mario F.
06-22-2006, 08:28 AM
I've got Insight. I realize I'm not changing anything. Just providing a user interface to GDB, since quiet frankly Dev-C++ debugger UI... sucks.

Insight makes using GDB a breeze. Quiet a rich wrapper, if you ask me. However, I believe VC+++ 2005 is still superior as far as the interface is concerned. The actual technical details of both debuggers though are not something I can discuss (being myself somewhat new to C++ and all).

indigo0086
06-22-2006, 09:32 AM
*is lost*

Mario F.
06-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Well, I'm sorry. I didn't check what Eclipse was. Skimmed through your post and thought you were talking about a debugger that could in theory be compatible with minGW. Eclipse is much more than that.

My bad.

indigo0086
06-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Eclipse is just an ide that I used for java, so is netbeans. eclipse has an in-program download thing that could download the C++ library to support creating C++ programs on it. I think it also had debugger support, but I never got it to work, and all the documentation is beyond me.

CartoonLarry
06-22-2006, 12:12 PM
I've been trying to get eclipse to work with C++ but I just can't seem to get it working. There is a minGW thing for eclipse that you can download as an extension but in the end I just can't figure how to set it up.

I have used eclipse CDT with cygwin and it has worked great for me.

http://www.cygwin.com

indigo0086
06-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Ahh, I downloaded the CDT without doing the cygwin thing. Do I have to install the whole cygwin or can I use mingw?

CartoonLarry
06-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Do I have to install the whole cygwin or can I use mingw?

I tried using mingw, but I ran into a few problems so I used cygwin instead.
I installed gcc/g++, gdb etc... with the cygwin install.

indigo0086
06-22-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm a little lost, I see this [attachment]...but which one do I chose to install?

I think this is why I stopped trying last time.

SlyMaelstrom
06-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Install all the basic stuff(cat, grep, etc...), and any other kind of apps that you want... I think you can select entire packages, but most of the stuff you have to select one by one.

indigo0086
06-22-2006, 02:38 PM
sadly could you be more basic than that? cat, grep? Where are those located, I've always just been an ide guy, never delt with actual compilers or anything outside of it.

SlyMaelstrom
06-22-2006, 02:40 PM
All the basic unix apps should be either in System or Utils. I happen to not have Cygwin on this particular computer, so I'll install it now and give you some more detailed explainations on what I did.

indigo0086
06-22-2006, 02:41 PM
cool, I'm checking out the eclipse CDT wiki and it has a section on using cygwin with it.

this is so confusing.

SlyMaelstrom
06-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah, based on Cygwins Setup help, all of the base applications should be automatically selected. Anything else like gcc, gdb, emacs... you have to select yourself. I'm not the person to really ask on what to choose. Consult with one of the local board Unix experts to find out what the must have apps are. Otherwise you can just select all of them one by one. :)

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html#id4725471

CartoonLarry
07-10-2006, 10:35 AM
I still have not received it. :(

Wraithan
07-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Me either =(

pianorain
07-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Me either =(Seconded. I have a feeling we got bit by the "supplies are limited" line.

[edit] By the way, the deal has changed. Now it's "Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 Professional Edition 90-day DVD trial," which isn't nearly as cool.

joeprogrammer
07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
EDIT: Actually they don't send it to Canada anymore, either. hehehehehe
Oh, well I got mine about 3 weeks ago and I live in Canada. Guess I just got in under the bar. :) Yes it does take a long time to ship. Mine took about 2 months. But it sure is nice!

pianorain
07-13-2006, 08:01 AM
In the end I threw everything in the garbage and used Linux instead because I didn't want to become a Microsoft salesman, which is what all of that stuff ultimately leads to.Too bad...Mono (http://www.mono-project.com/) is coming along pretty nicely.