PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get real old (Pointless Topic)

SlyMaelstrom
05-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Heh... today, it has officially started for me. Hate complaining about it, because there really is no one to blame, but today, I've officially gotten sick of answering the same old questions in the Programming forums. I'm sure everyone that has been on these message boards as long as I have has been to this point, but man. I mean, don't you just wish people would actually look at the FAQs or read the tutorials before posting? How many times must fgets() be explained?

Ugg, sorry, I had to let this out. I'm not planning on stopping answering the simple questions (god forbid I try answering the hard ones) but it just gets really old. I often wonder how college professors of the simple courses do it.

SMurf
05-06-2006, 04:47 PM
I reckon we should make a line of copy 'n' paste responses to these questions, like companies do.

Dear Valued Member,

Thank you for posting your question on the C Programming Board. We would like to take this opportunity to draw your attention to the FAQ...

Yadda yadda yadda click here and enter your credit card details so we can verify your membership. :p

jverkoey
05-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Welcome to the group. :cool:

joeprogrammer
05-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Even better, there should be some sort of automated system, which automatically figures out what the problem is and then chooses a predefined response. Or gives them a few links to useful websites for solving their problem.

whiteflags
05-06-2006, 08:57 PM
This is also unrelated, but I used to have a question on the std::remove_if algorithm, until I actually searched the board for an answer. The search button on any forum is too often ignored.

alphaoide
05-06-2006, 09:38 PM
I did the same thing--asking common question--on my early days. It was because I wasn't aware that google has all the answers. So, that could be the explanation for some of those people--they think people on this board are the only resources.

BobMcGee123
05-07-2006, 01:41 PM
How exactly does fgets() work? Could you please explain it to me?

Oh, also I've got 142 C++ homework programs to write for this semester. I didn' t get how to do it because my professor sucks and does not give us enough opportunity and he's inaccessible. Could you start me off on them? kthxbye

cboard_member
05-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Bob.
Ooooooooo.

axon
05-07-2006, 01:50 PM
fgets()?

<3

&

\/
|

----<-------@

()___)___________)))))~~

twomers
05-09-2006, 02:18 AM
axon, you got that all wrong. fgets is essentially a linker between the user's mind and the program. It uses basic ESP (defined in stdio and a more advanced form is in vector). Example:

#include <ESP.h>
int main()
{
ESP thoughts;

cout<< endl << "What are you thinking?";
fgets( std::ESP_IN, USER_HEAD, '()___)___________)))))~~');

cout<< endl << "Bet you were thinking: " << thoughts;

return 0;
}

now template thoughts are akward.

But. I do agree with SlyMaelstrom, and I have one thing to say:

couldn't you just ignore it? Someone who isn't as sick as you are of it will answer the questions will probably answer them ... especialy the ESP and fgets ones.

Quantum1024
05-09-2006, 02:42 AM
Even better, there should be some sort of automated system, which automatically figures out what the problem is and then chooses a predefined response. Or gives them a few links to useful websites for solving their problem.Then it could become self aware and kill us all :eek:

ElastoManiac
05-09-2006, 03:07 AM
You could ban the users that start to ask questions that are stupid and repeated so many times...
We don't need those newbies anyway!

prog-bman
05-09-2006, 03:50 AM
You could ban the users that start to ask questions that are stupid and repeated so many times...
We don't need those newbies anyway!
You're right I mean I never asked a stupid and already asked question before so they should be banned since I never ever did that so someone who does that is so stupid. :rolleyes:

SlyMaelstrom
05-09-2006, 08:17 AM
You're right I mean I never asked a stupid and already asked question before so they should be banned since I never ever did that so someone who does that is so stupid. :rolleyes:

I agree they should be banned. So should prog-bman for admitting he was an ex-newbie.

Pshh... I came out of the womb a pro.

In all seriousness, I can recall asking one, maybe two truely newbish questions on this forum. The first post I had was dealing with how while loops worked and the second one was how to make the computer beep.

[EDIT] Ah check that, I have about 10 of them looking back at my first few posts. For some reason I couldn't get grips on using == instead of = in conditionals. :p

My favorite me quote from the old days:
Heh... you're silly epo. <string> and <string.h> mean the exact same thing.

Quantum1024
05-09-2006, 08:27 AM
maybe each forum could have a newbie section?

Govtcheez
05-09-2006, 08:37 AM
We had a newbie board back in the day, and it generates more problems than it's worth.

twomers
05-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Hey, if ye make me an mod, or better, an admin, I would gladly take charge of banning some of the newbies. Just to show how serious I am, here's a quick list of the people I've shortlisted:

Salem
SlyMaelstrom
Govtcheez
Bubba
major_small
quzah
Daved

I think you should find everything was in order here, but as I said, that was only done real quick.

SlyMaelstrom
05-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Just to show how serious I am, here's a quick list of the people I've shortlisted:

Salem

Hah... Salem might just ban you for even joking about wanting to ban him. :p

twomers
05-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Hah... Salem might just ban you for even joking about wanting to ban him. :p

Who said I was joking?? lol

Decrypt
05-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Is that taps I hear playing in the background?

SniperSAS
05-11-2006, 01:51 PM
i have done this once or twice or five times and i apologise