PDA

View Full Version : The best

MadCow257
04-28-2006, 04:09 PM
On the way home from school I considered this question (inspired by a conversation I had with some friends about their beliefs): what is the best society ever? America could be it, but I would argue strongly that it is not. There are alot of ways to take that question...morally, economically, politically, culturally, societally, etc.

Based on this criteria I propose the "Golden" era of Ancient Greece.

whiteflags
04-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Ancient Rome was pretty tight.

jverkoey
04-28-2006, 04:20 PM
I think many would argue World of Warcraft's a pretty damn good community to live in.

Perspective
04-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Sweden.

America could possibly be not in the mood for a flame war

edit: :p

abyssphobia
04-29-2006, 06:32 PM
The Aztec (before spaniards came to America)
They have a great economy based their money on cacao beans.
They discover the number zero. (binary exists because of the zero)They were great astrologists.
They build their beautiful city over a huge lake. :)

MadCow257
04-29-2006, 07:01 PM
They discover the number zero. (binary exists because of the zero)They were great astrologists.
I think the Arabs found zero, maybe the Aztecs found it indepentandly too. Binary is defined as a number system with two digits, so it could easily exist without zero.

The Aztec's construction on that lake is very interesting though, I think old architects beat our's in alot of ways.

Ancient Rome was pretty tight.

Gross, classics.

Jeff, Perspective - I never would have thought of those :D

SirCrono6
04-29-2006, 08:42 PM
I think the Arabs found zero
It was the Indians actually. In fact, the whole 0-9 system was developed in India, although most people believe the Arabs created it.

Perspective
04-29-2006, 10:28 PM
>In fact, the whole 0-9 system was developed in India

This is indeed true. They were also the first civilization to design cities using "city blocks" as we know them today.

Ancient Myans were pretty cool too.

Cheeze-It
04-29-2006, 11:35 PM
I think many would argue World of Warcraft's a pretty damn good community to live in.

omg I played WoW, too! I was a druid on Bloodscalp.

SlyMaelstrom
04-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Look at ethic's avatar and you shall see what most WOW players look like a month into the game. :)

jverkoey
04-29-2006, 11:55 PM
I really kindof wish I had a dancing milk carton like that on my desk. I could feed it cookies and stuff and it would dance like that forever.... :cool:

Cheeze-It
04-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Is that milk carton from Coffee & TV? Because
that music video was, by far, the greatest video
ever created.

//edit instead of another post because Kermi is strict

OMG IT IS!

//edit again 'cause she'll yell at me. :(

See:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4007844314718696640&q=blur&pl=true

SlyMaelstrom
04-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Oh any by the way... the best society is definitely... THE INTERNET! WHOOP WHOOP! *raises the virtual roof*

America would be it but the dang Canadians (Yes, you jverkoey *gleem*) is bringin the name down with all of it's "aboot"s and "buddy"s and "ey"s. I also blame Canada for advertising "Niagara Falls" which part of belongs to the US! ...but no... who the hell goes to the US side? Bah, everyone knows the Canadian horseshoe falls side is nicer.