PDA

View Full Version : Have You Programmed Anything Cool?

Pages : [1] 2

thetinman
04-25-2006, 09:10 AM
If you have, tell us all what it is.

I myself have programmed audio effects software plugins that plug into host programs such as Cubase and Fruity Loops.

bumfluff
04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Show off!!!

Kurisu
04-25-2006, 10:35 AM
I wrote a program that outputted "YOU SUCK" infinitely on a school computer and left it there.

SniperSAS
04-25-2006, 11:57 AM
no :(

spoon_
04-25-2006, 12:03 PM
I wrote a program that outputted "YOU SUCK" infinitely on a school computer and left it there.

Awesome. Not really, but seriously.

I think this guy wins the thread.

valis
04-25-2006, 12:15 PM
I just finished a compiler with an LL parser and I'm currently writing a virtual machine (much RISCyness but has some very high level instructions) that runs objects for a 2d game engine I may finish someday :|

edit:
I should also probably point out there's really no good reason for not just making binary loadable objects, my motivation for the machine is purely academic.

CartoonLarry
04-25-2006, 12:21 PM
I developed an application titled FlaBatch. It runs on Windows 9x/Me/XP.
It is freeware.
It batch Processes the Trace Bitmaps and Break Apart features in Macromedia Flash 4/5/MX/MX2004.

I don't know if it would be considered cool, but it has saved me a lot of time while producing my cartoons.

whiteflags
04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Awesome. Not really, but seriously.

I think this guy wins the thread. Second.

Govtcheez
04-25-2006, 12:25 PM
I programmed a document tracking system for work. It's not cool, but man is it useful.

(but it's in Access and VBA. yech)

cboard_member
04-25-2006, 12:40 PM
I recently wrote a brain.......... interpreter. Sure it was a poor attempt compared but it was the first (working) interpreter / compiler I've written.

EDIT: Compared to the original 3 line implementation. Well, 3 physical lines, not statements.

Quantum1024
04-25-2006, 01:00 PM
heh I wrote a program like this at school too. The computers were old enough to have BASIC built into the ROM so the program was only 2 lines

10 PRINT "I hate school!"
20 GOTO 10

Perspective
04-25-2006, 01:22 PM
hrm lets see,

*-An eclipse plug-in that integrates bugzilla bug tracking http://people.redhat.com/jpound
*-Continous level of detail terrain renderer http://jeff.bagu.org/
*-Gmail notification tool (which runs on many platforms including linux) jeff.bagu.org again
&-Ray tracer
&-Spline surface demo (OpenGL/C++, terrains and arbitrary topology models)
&-Speech recognizer (phoneme streams to sentences, acoustic part was done for us)
&-Document genre classifier (input document, out comes genre like "fiction")
&-Document segmenter (Segments large texts by detecting topic change)
&-AI Soccer team (RoboCup - simulation (http://www.robocup.org))

* - Personal/Work projects - Open Source
& - School projects

BobMcGee123
04-25-2006, 03:16 PM
I just finished a compiler with an LL parser and I'm currently writing a virtual machine (much RISCyness but has some very high level instructions) that runs objects for a 2d game engine I may finish someday :|

edit:
I should also probably point out there's really no good reason for not just making binary loadable objects, my motivation for the machine is purely academic.

Cool.

>>robocup

Wait, you wrote a program that simulates the robocup tournament, or you programmed one of the robots? impressive list of projects, Per.

Perspective
04-25-2006, 03:23 PM
>>robocup

Wait, you wrote a program that simulates the robocup tournament, or you programmed one of the robots?

RoboCup has different genres: 2 legged robots, 4 legged robots, etc etc.. One of them is pure simulation (no robots, just software). I wrote a team for the simulation server, a set of "intelligent agents" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_agents) (as did everyone else in the class). Then we had our own tournament, it was a pretty fun class.

impressive list of projects, Per.

Thanks, there are more but those are the ones that came to mind.

BobMcGee123
04-25-2006, 03:26 PM
What sorts of AI constructs did you use, e.g. finite state machines, neural networks, fuzzy logic...I've dabble with those, including FANN, read the quake3 AI thesis, wrote simple applications with FSM inside a simple virtual machine coupled with 'genetics' dictating the probability of each instruction being executed next, etc. Fascinating stuff.

EDIT: good link, don't think I've read that one before. Bookmarked.

Prelude
04-25-2006, 05:59 PM
I can't in good conscience (translation: legally) be specific about my old dark side activities. Those are the only programs I've written that most people would consider "cool". ;)

>If you have, tell us all what it is.
A complete implementation of the C standard library and large portions of the C++ standard library. Does that count?

CrazyNorman
04-25-2006, 06:32 PM
I wrote every single piece of software used by the NSA.
I also wrote Google, Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, and QBasic 7.1 Gold Edition.
I wrote Apache, MySQL, Harry Potter, and Postgresql.

I also wrote Ubertube:
Magic UberTube Link (http://ubertube.tevlog.com)
which is a pretty cool game (this one is for real atleast)

major_small
04-25-2006, 08:31 PM
I can't in good conscience (translation: legally) be specific about my old dark side activities. Those are the only programs I've written that most people would consider "cool". ;)you're an evil hacker. If I've ever used any of your software, thanks :)

now that none of you saw any of that, the coolest thing I've written is "an" IRC bot that may become a (backup) relay bot (if I can get around to leaning threads and having it connect to more than one server), and another IRC bot that's sitting on a channel tied to a radio station that's creating an audio archive of the station, and at the same time taking up space in #tech (see my sig). Her original intent was to keep ops and stuff in #tech, but services made that kinda obsolete. Now she archives the station. The could-be relay bot helps keep ops in nodes without services.

DALnet sucks. Who bans entire ISPs?

stuart_cpp
04-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Well, it may not be cool, but really useful! Its called Dtp :D and it translates dollars to pounds(thats what DTP stands for). I use it when ordering something from US .

VirtualAce
04-26-2006, 01:39 AM
I wrote this post.

cboard_member
04-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Well, it may not be cool, but really useful! Its called Dtp :D and it translates dollars to pounds(thats what DTP stands for). I use it when ordering something from US .

:eek:
I use google.

BobMcGee123
04-26-2006, 06:10 AM
I wrote this post.

You need to post it in the C++ forum...I'm getting syntax errors and I'm not sure why!

The Dog
04-26-2006, 06:13 AM
I never really wrote anything! I'd usually just use the keyboard and type the damn stuff.

joed
04-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Wrote Rendera (http://www.rendera.net) entirely from scratch in C. Might be a bit dated, but does most of what I wanted. There were many gotchas along the way, I have a lot of respect for people writing graphics apps now.

Decrypt
04-26-2006, 10:38 AM
I wrote a sort of evolution simulator that tracked the allele distribution of a population. Allele combinations indicated good/bad/neutral traits about each 'creature' in the population, traits helped indicate a pecking order for mating (no pun intended), and so on. Changing how 'weighted' certain traits were, what mating guidlines were, life span, age of sexual maturity, etc. changed how the population's allele patterns changed over time (and how quickly).

It wasn't horribly sophisticated, but it was a fun project.

ElastoManiac
04-26-2006, 10:49 AM
tic tac toe game in basic which uses like 10 000 lines of code ( i didn't used any loop's, arrays, or anything )
u was pretty dumb so i compared nine variables for all possible solutions in all possible times.

valis
04-26-2006, 11:55 AM
A complete implementation of the C standard library and large portions of the C++ standard library. Does that count?
I would definitely categorize that as cool, everyone's always using some base library no matter how complex the problem is.

cboard_member
04-26-2006, 12:35 PM
tic tac toe game in basic which uses like 10 000 lines of code ( i didn't used any loop's, arrays, or anything )
u was pretty dumb so i compared nine variables for all possible solutions in all possible times.

10000? Whoa. What I've got so far for my pet project is way less than that and does more than tic tac toe. Hell we had to do TTT in Computing with Pascal and couldn't have been much more than 150 lines or so.

Meh.

DrakkenKorin
04-26-2006, 12:56 PM
i programmed my dvr to record my favorite shows.

programmed my coffee maker to start making my favorite brew every morning at 5 am

ElastoManiac
04-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Oh yes i didn't used functions, so i copy-ed the same code all over the place. And used bunch of gotos. So you can just imagine what a mess that was...

cboard_member
04-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Oh yes i didn't used functions, so i copy-ed the same code all over the place. And used bunch of gotos. So you can just imagine what a mess that was...

*shakes head in disgust*

I hope you were young and didn't know what you were doing.

valis
04-26-2006, 03:24 PM
I'd have to say though, it's pretty awesome to have not given up (10,000 lines is a lot for a beginner) and come out with a working product when you have such hideous code.

no-one
04-26-2006, 06:54 PM
lemmie just stop at saying that i write cooler code than you EVER will... cause im cooler and smarter than you.

Prelude
04-26-2006, 07:07 PM
>lemmie just stop at saying that i write cooler code than you EVER
>will... cause im cooler and smarter than you.
Impossible. I'm the source of all cool, so any cool you have came from me originally and you're just borrowing it.

Sebastiani
04-26-2006, 10:54 PM
most recently: an expression template parser (with unlimited look ahead), a huffman template, a digital logic template (for compile-time virtual circuits), and an automated dereferencing template. way :cool:.

stuart_cpp
04-27-2006, 12:27 AM
:eek:
I use google.
How does google help translating Dollars into Pounds?
Oh i see now.....but what if my connection has been screwed?

cboard_member
04-27-2006, 01:42 AM

Touché.

sand_man
04-27-2006, 04:45 AM
most recently: an expression template parser (with unlimited look ahead), a huffman template, a digital logic template (for compile-time virtual circuits), and an automated dereferencing template. way :cool:.

I think your sig counts as being pretty cool ;)

CartoonLarry
04-27-2006, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by Prelude
Impossible. I'm the source of all cool, so any cool you have came from me originally and you're just borrowing it.

You had better hope Fonzie didn't hear that. ;)

SniperSAS
04-27-2006, 11:16 AM
>lemmie just stop at saying that i write cooler code than you EVER
>will... cause im cooler and smarter than you.

says the man with the anime avatar

Govtcheez
04-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Uh-oh...

You may want to find out a little more about Prelude before you start tossing around genders.

That is, if it's not already too late :eek:

indigo0086
04-27-2006, 11:31 AM
This thread makes me realise how much I suck.

Or I'm just borrowing suck from the source of sucky programmers. :o

biosninja
04-27-2006, 10:48 PM
My agents that runs on our FYI system

SlyMaelstrom
04-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Since most of my work is classwork, it's just simply not cool at all. :)

The coolest things I've made were a text-based tetris, a text-base trivia game (which can load various properly formatted text files), and a Roman Numeral <-> Arabic Numeral Converter, a standard playing card deck implementation with various working card games for it, and a little open GL world that doesn't even support collision detection.

Not very impressive or cool, to say the least.

...and what isn't cool about Prelude's sig? :cool:

major_small
04-28-2006, 12:14 AM
how do you keep an accurate conversion if you don't have some kind of connection to the outside world :D

indigo0086
04-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Since all my programs, like Malestrom's, are classwork, I'd have to say my favorite ones was a custom linked list I recently did, and an interesting program on inheritance involving three dimensional shapes.

elad
04-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Translating a technique for solving Rubiks cube to a 3d graphics environment was the most interesting, but the most satisfying was automating a scheduling program for work.

joeprogrammer
04-28-2006, 05:11 PM
When I was 12, I learned C++ (just console, no GUI programming). When I was 13, I learned DirectDraw API and made a cool 2D game. I think it was called "Uniworld" It had a wall, with rocks dislodging and falling on the charecter who is trying to climb up the wall. Unfortunately, I forgot to back up the game when I formatted my hard drive. Oh well, it wasn't that great of a game, just cool that I wrote it when I was 13.

Later, I found that my idea was not that original. I found basically the same game in Legend Of Zelda: The minish cap, when you're climbing Mount Crenal (I don't know if any of you guys have played this game).

The cool thing about my programming knowledge is that I'm self taught, and have never taken any programming courses in school or college. :)

joed
04-28-2006, 05:46 PM
The cool thing about my programming knowledge is that I'm self taught, and have never taken any programming courses in school or college.

You might be better off. :)

Shogun
05-02-2006, 05:03 AM
Ummm...

I wrote code!