PDA

View Full Version : My new experiment.

Brian
04-12-2006, 02:14 PM
http://www.ignoro.co.uk
I can't give too many details here without giving it away. Anyway, let me know what you think. It's a mess of JavaScript and PHP and MySQL. I think I might move some of it over to flash due to the amount of pressure it is putting on the browser in its current incarnation.

jverkoey
04-12-2006, 02:18 PM
That's actually really cool.

Brian
04-12-2006, 02:19 PM
That's actually really cool.

Thanks, I got to the front page of digg.com (for like 5 minutes) :)

Sang-drax
04-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Very nice!
Interesting to see a patten.

MisterSako
04-12-2006, 04:36 PM
very interesting.

glad i could contribute :}

you should try changing it up and moving the text around or have it be a popup etc to see if it changes where the person clicks. right now it seems everyone clicks on the text

major_small
04-12-2006, 10:00 PM
that actually is really cool... and I'm sure there'd be alot of psychology buffs interested in your results...

laserlight
04-12-2006, 10:05 PM
and I'm sure there'd be alot of psychology buffs interested in your results
GUI designers, too.

cboard_member
04-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Awesome. I clicked sort of the the left and up a tad.

DavidG
04-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Nice. I thought it was a picture of a galaxy or something, until I saw the text at the top.

Interesting how it seems to be more concentrated along the lines to the corners, isn't it? Especially the top corners, for some reason...

Brian
04-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Nice. I thought it was a picture of a galaxy or something, until I saw the text at the top.

Interesting how it seems to be more concentrated along the lines to the corners, isn't it? Especially the top corners, for some reason...

Yeah people think theyre clever clicking the corners. :rolleyes:

Govtcheez
04-13-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm actually more interested in the lines out to the corners. That's weird.

edit: Do you have any historical data on this? Like what had happened after certain times?

Darryl
04-13-2006, 09:43 AM
The words draw you into the center. You should do a pop-up that say click anywhere on the screen and see if you still get the clustering in the center

Brian
04-13-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm actually more interested in the lines out to the corners. That's weird.

edit: Do you have any historical data on this? Like what had happened after certain times?

I could replay every click in order from the first click to the current one but I didn't record the exact times for each one.

Govtcheez
04-13-2006, 09:50 AM
That's basically what I was looking for. It'd suck to lose the information after too many people click on it. You need to make a video :)

Brian
04-13-2006, 10:04 AM
That's basically what I was looking for. It'd suck to lose the information after too many people click on it. You need to make a video :)

here, just for you:
http://www.ignoro.co.uk/order.php

Brian
04-13-2006, 10:07 AM
here, just for you:
http://www.ignoro.co.uk/order.php

Hehe that pretty much kills Opera. Kinda works in IE, though it's a bit slow.

Thantos
04-13-2006, 01:47 PM
IMO you should leave the text where it is Brian. To change it's location now would totally invalidate the data you have collected.

Though if you were to run it again I might suggest have something like 4 or 5 running, each with a different but fixed text location, and basically giving a random one. Then you would be able to draw a better conclusion about why they might have clicked at a certain location.

Of course thats if you care enough to do it :P

sean
04-13-2006, 03:13 PM
My guess is that if the text was off center, you'd find the same pattern (or warped but still very similar) with the intersection of the lines of concentration at the new text location.

Thantos
04-13-2006, 06:42 PM
It'd be interesting to find out :P

Tonto
04-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Oh my god, I have such bad hallucinogen persisting perception disorder.

jmd15
04-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Wow, that is cool Brian, nice. That could easily be made into a C++ Win32 app, I say Win32 cuz that's what I'm into ;), so maybe I'll just do that. Of course, give Brian credit for the idea. Where/how did you come up with such a clever idea? That's some thinking outside the box if I have ever seen it.

SlyMaelstrom
04-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Very nice, I'd be interesting in seeing the relation between page location of the links users clicked on to get to that page related to where they clicked on the page. I personally clicked on the word, but it wouldn't surprise me if people clicked on your link and then just clicked exactly where their mouse was when they saw the "click anywhere".

jafet
04-14-2006, 02:55 AM
Why not implement a dynamic follow-the-cursor text thingie saying "click anywhere on this page" or something? Best way to get your point across.

And if you're really into it, don't let people see the result until they've clicked, and give them a "second chance" -- a new click on a second page. Compare the two, and see what you get! :D

Suggestion: render entire image in PHP, then pipe to browser, instead of real-time rendering. Running a 10k sized array blew Firefox to bits ;)

Decrypt
04-14-2006, 10:10 AM
[quote=SlyMaelstrom]...it wouldn't surprise me if people clicked on your link and then just clicked exactly where their mouse was when they saw the "click anywhere".[quote]That's what I did. Too lazy to move the mouse if I don't have to, I guess.