PDA

View Full Version : Game classics

eletron
04-06-2006, 12:32 AM
I am writing, the videogame history.
Please give me sugestions of game classics to review.
If possible point to the site with a screenshot of sugested game.
Thanks in advance.

SlyMaelstrom
04-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Why you gonna write something you clearly don't know about. :)
It's like me writing a medical book.

Start out by making a timeline of video game consoles, then get specific information on each system as to their groundbreaking features and most popular games. Then compare and contrast some competing systems such as SNES and Genesis or PS2 and XBox.

I've done long papers on video game history and the effect it had on culture, and by a standard I always tended to start out with text-based computer games, then graphically I jumped into the Magnavox Odyssey then the timeline just flows from there.

Govtcheez
04-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Custer's Revenge (Atari 2600)
Outpost (PC)

Perspective
04-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Q-Bert
Comander Keen
Wolfenstein 3D

Dante Shamest
04-06-2006, 10:29 AM
History of computer and video games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_history) - courtesy of Wikipedia

WaltP
04-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Adventure, Zork, Xargon

ElastoManiac
04-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Regarding the nostalgy SNES is the best out there. Chrono Trigger is my favorite.
Shinning Force on SEGA. Prince of Persia is probably the oldest game i can think of on PC.
Those console rpg's really affected my childhood...

major_small
04-06-2006, 04:58 PM
no way... atari is the nostalgia king. or the commodore 64 :)

VirtualAce
04-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Atari (2600, 5200) and even early Atari computers, Commodore 64, ColecoVision, Intellivision, Macintosh, Apple series (1,2, etc) are nostalgic with the Atari 2600 being perhaps the most nostalgic system ever created.

SNES is a second generation Nintendo system using 16 bit graphics in 320x200 resolution. Not my definition of nostalgia.

NES is a first generation Nintendo system using 8 bit graphics in 320x200 resolution. It wasn't until much later in computers that any of them were ever able to do this.

My first PC had a 4.77 MHz 8088 Intel CPU which was 75% IBM 8086 compatible, no mouse, no printer, no hard drive (disk as it was called then), DOS 2.10 (2nd generation DOS - release version), 16 color EGA graphics, 4 color MCGA graphics, a 3 voice sound card (actually quite good for the time - C64 had a much better one), 2 cartridge slots, 128 KB ram (again quite good for the time), an infrared keyboard, an RGB monitor with built-in-speaker, and the oldest looking two button joystick you ever saw.

This piece o crapola was known as the IBM PCjr. Classic games were:

Jumpman
Kings Quest 1
Shamus
Flight Simulator 1.00 by Sublogic, published my Microsoft. (Don't ask me how they got 3D graphics to work with only a mere 4.77 MHz to play with). Bruce Artwick is the father of 3D if you ask me. Carmack eat your heart out.

If it wasn't for the advent of the SoundBlaster card and new video cards to push the Flight Simulator games (first video cards were introduced specifically to run Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0 - an early form of Hardware Acceleration), NES and SNES wouldn't be around. NES and SNES developed solely out of modern PC technology (or modern at the time).

Atari 2600 and IBM PCjr were released at nearly the same time with the Atari being somewhat earlier. The first IBM released I believe was the IBM AT followed by the IBM XT. Both of these systems used the principles learned on the IBM 4044 chip. The 4044 is probably one of the earliest chips from the IBM/Intel relationship era.

There are also more nostalgic computers like the Altair which are a far cry from what we know today as the PC.

Computers, not consoles, pushed the envelope.....and they always will.

ElastoManiac
04-07-2006, 02:28 AM
I have never owned Atari 2600, so i gues i will never know how it was.
All i know is that i have tons of memory's regarding SNES.
( I'm pretty young so i can't talk about the old days )

valis
04-18-2006, 06:46 PM
chex quest

Xterria
04-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Put emphasis on the old Sierra genre--specifically the King's Quest and Space Quest games. They spearheaded how PC games developed.

MadCow257
04-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Quake had a huge impact on modern games

Both direct through games that actually use one of the engines, and indirrect through design elements

gcn_zelda
04-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Adventure, Zork, Xargon

Xyzzy, baby.

Govtcheez
04-19-2006, 06:44 AM
Put emphasis on the old Sierra genre--specifically the King's Quest and Space Quest games. They spearheaded how PC games developed.
How so?

Obivously they were tremendously successful and influential in the adventure genre, but what'd Sierra do with the development that no one else had?

Xterria
04-19-2006, 07:57 PM
How so?

Obivously they were tremendously successful and influential in the adventure genre, but what'd Sierra do with the development that no one else had?

Not much, there's only so much you can do in DOS. I basically think that they define old DOS PC games, rather then lead in their development. I guess I should've reworded it.

Govtcheez
04-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Not much, there's only so much you can do in DOS. I basically think that they define old DOS PC games, rather then lead in their development. I guess I should've reworded it.
Maybe they define them in your experience, but not as a whole.

MadCow257
04-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Heres a bunch of lists
http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm

The only reason Sierra shows up is due to Valve.

Govtcheez
04-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Most of the magazines in that list are super console-centric, though. If you take out the 2001 Gamespy poll, the PC only has 10 entries in there at all. That's a really poor way to gauge the influence of anything.

whiteflags
04-23-2006, 05:29 PM
My friend has an entire system dedicated to Pong. It's all that it does. Since Pong is the first game ever made possibly, it'd be dumb to skip it. Even if you wrote a paragraph like
Pong.

SniperSAS
04-23-2006, 07:36 PM
My friend has an entire system dedicated to Pong. It's all that it does. Since Pong is the first game ever made possibly, it'd be dumb to skip it. Even if you wrote a paragraph like

The first game ever made was space war, I think.

http://www.wheels.org/spacewar/

and you can play it here:

http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/spacewar/

Enjoy :)

MadCow257
04-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Since Pong is the first commerical game ever made

fixey