View Full Version : Thinking about terminology

02-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Specifically this operator ( << ) and this operator ( >> ) otherwise properly known as Insertion and Extraction, respectively. My first programming teacher, a few semesters ago decided to use the terminology "put to" and "get from" for those operators when teaching the class. While the names are sensible given their operations, I was wondering if you'd ever heard that usage before, because I know I've used that to some very respectable programmers that I've met. Did I sound like an jackass using those terms?

02-25-2006, 03:32 AM
I think BS uses the term "put to" in The Design and Evo. of C++ - I remember seeing it in there somewhere.

02-25-2006, 03:35 AM
Insertion and extraction sound a bit too technical. If I ever gave them a name I'd probably call them either push/pull or send/receive. :P

02-25-2006, 04:42 AM
I know them a left-shift and right-shift. The question is, when you overload an operator, do you also overload its name?

02-25-2006, 07:42 AM
I could never get used to variations of "insertion" and "extraction", so I say (sometimes privately) that << is output and >> is input. :) Then you have the output operator and the input operator, and beginners have a much easier time of following you.