PDA

View Full Version : Right I give in

cboard_member
02-17-2006, 08:04 AM
No, I don't for a minute think I'll like it, but I want to.
Someone avid in the API better recommend me a good tutorial - I'm delving into DirectX (Direct3D mainly)!

Wish me luck, throw me links, or just abuse me for creating this pretty pointless thread (yes I am aware of the search function but can't be assed to wade through the threads that'll appear). I've always found it hard to find good tutorials on this thru google.

I don't want a link to Drunken Hyena because I've already got it bookmarked and anyway it's a pretty sucky tutorial last time I looked.

EDIT: OMG, you know I could have sworn I clicked "Game Programming". I'm getting a mod-beating for this.

Shakti
02-17-2006, 08:09 AM
There are not many DirectX tutorials out there. Your best bet is msdn, documentation for DirectX SDK and various books.

cboard_member
02-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Damn I had a feeling it'd be something like that. Well I've got all of that bar books so I'll give it my best shot.

VirtualAce
02-17-2006, 01:31 PM
www.amazon.com

Good place to start.

mrafcho001
02-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Book > *

I have a few DX 9.0 books, they are pretty good. but like every other book it starts out easy, and gradually gets harder and harder with every other concept. Until you have to do a lot of screwing around to understand something.

Koedoe
03-01-2006, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't exactly give myself out as an expert on the area of 3D programming, but I feel I have to ask: Is there a particular reason why you would prefer DirectX over OpenGL?

I ask because I managed to stumble across a really good OpenGL tutorial site. After having one or two problems getting DevCPP to link everything correctly, I was making 3D scenes in no time.

Using just the material on this site, it took a day or two (can't remember exactly) to get to the point where I could make a simple breakout clone, with collision detection, 3D perspective, the lot. That was where I lost interest a bit - no point spending time to really learn something your not going to use. Well, maybe I'll need it someday... but I'm rambling. Sorry. :o

Anyway, if you should be interested in OpenGL, check these out:

The tutorial site:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Official site, with references and all:
http://www.opengl.org/

Unless I got confused along the way, the Quake series is made with OpenGL. That should be all the good reference you need. :D

jwenting
03-01-2006, 08:36 AM
it starts out easy, and gradually gets harder and harder with every other concept. Until you have to do a lot of screwing around to understand something.

Sounds like life...

cboard_member
03-01-2006, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't exactly give myself out as an expert on the area of 3D programming, but I feel I have to ask: Is there a particular reason why you would prefer DirectX over OpenGL?

I ask because I managed to stumble across a really good OpenGL tutorial site. After having one or two problems getting DevCPP to link everything correctly, I was making 3D scenes in no time.

Using just the material on this site, it took a day or two (can't remember exactly) to get to the point where I could make a simple breakout clone, with collision detection, 3D perspective, the lot. That was where I lost interest a bit - no point spending time to really learn something your not going to use. Well, maybe I'll need it someday... but I'm rambling. Sorry. :o

Anyway, if you should be interested in OpenGL, check these out:

The tutorial site:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Official site, with references and all:
http://www.opengl.org/

Unless I got confused along the way, the Quake series is made with OpenGL. That should be all the good reference you need. :D

I prefer OpenGL - I go with most peoples opinions of it, do a board search because I can't be bothered to type it all out again. I guess I should get more comfy with DirectX before I start saying I really don't like it.

Mad_guy
03-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Someone always asks that...

Anyway, if you want some good DirectX books, I can recommend a few texts:

- Tricks of the Windows game Programming Guru's, 2nd edition (much MUCH more than a simple 2d game programming book, starts off with DirectDraw but it's an excellent starter book)
- Tricks of the 3D Game programming Guru's, same author as Tricks of the Windows game programming guru's, and really good. Long as hell.
- Introduction to 3D Game programming with DirectX 9.0

VirtualAce
03-01-2006, 11:48 PM
And all of those are available at www.amazon.com.

I have all 3 and I will add this to the list.

Game Coding Complete, 2nd edition

Incidentally the last one, Introduction to 3D Game programming with DirectX 9.0, is getting an update and a 2nd edition. The book's website is www.moon-labs.com