PDA

View Full Version : Another sticky in the code forums.

SlyMaelstrom
01-31-2006, 11:05 PM
This is more to the people who post answers in the programming forum:

How many times have you answered a question in this manner:

FAQs 2.1 - Doing such and such with so and so (about:blank)

People seem to not see the FAQs forum which we should be directing people straight to. Put stickys in the code forums saying that it's there, people might see it better. More advertising for less clutter.

[EDIT] I see rule 13 in the Read before Posting announcement says "don't forget about the FAQs" but sometimes people that have been here for a few months and looked at that way back forget it's there and forget to look. I think there should be something more upfront.

jwenting
02-01-2006, 01:35 AM
problem with stickies is that people don't read them, especially if there's a lot of them, and ESPECIALLY if they're not going to do their own research first in other places :eek: :rolleyes: .

Blackroot
02-01-2006, 01:57 AM
I say make it so you cant post without clicking on important stickies in that section when your a first-timer :P. Then again, thats how I solve everything :P.

Dae
02-01-2006, 02:47 AM
The percentage of people who read the FAQ will go up if theres a pinned topic, so there might as well be one.

My solution to everything is pizza. But how does that help us here... .. pinned "Free Order From Pizza Hut" topic?

Alright, I'll be back in 30.

Yes, ++postcount; ;)

SlyMaelstrom
02-01-2006, 02:49 AM
Dae your post was going so well until you said Pizza Hut.

Dae
02-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Dae your post was going so well until you said Pizza Hut.

Yeah, my friends have made fun of me for my taste in pizza suppliers before. I dunno though, I don't mind Panago and Pizza Hut, pizza is always good.

I'm not really going for post to post ratings though, so I'm free to like Pizza Hut. kthx. :)

jwenting
02-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Pizza Hut is decent, just too much fat floating on it but you can soak that up using the paper napkins you get with your order ;)

Queatrix
02-01-2006, 12:53 PM
This has got to be the first thread I have seen that goes from the FAQs to PIZZA!
Anyway, I don't think the problem is that no one sees them, it's more likely that
people are just to lazy to read them when they want to know something. (Like
me, I admit.) And there is just to much there to remember what’s even there.

Dweia
02-02-2006, 07:15 AM
Pizza Hut's good, though I like the smaller woodfired places a lot as well. Get better wuality meats at most of them.

jwenting
02-02-2006, 07:26 AM
I've seen wood places fired, they tend to go up in smoke :)

filker0
02-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Pizza Hut is a reliable national (international?) chain -- in some places, they're the best pizza available.

That is not saying that I think Pizza hut is very good, but there are places where the alternatives are worse.

As far as FAQ pinning, I think that's a good idea.

Brian
02-02-2006, 11:15 AM
How about if a post contains the line fflush(stdin) it automatically redirects them to the FAQ page? :)

SlyMaelstrom
02-02-2006, 11:17 AM
And maybe a hand come out of the monitor and slaps the poster, too.

SMurf
02-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Or maybe a message along the lines of "You suck at programming. You must now invite a bunch of us down to our nearest Pizza Hut so we can insult you some more and maybe spit pieces of gooey (GUI) semi-cheese at you."

SlyMaelstrom
02-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Or maybe a message along the lines of "You suck at programming. You must now invite a bunch of us down to our nearest Pizza Hut so we can insult you some more and maybe spit pieces of gooey (GUI) semi-cheese at you."

Let's stick with things that are possible to program, here. I've got my hand slapping algorithm almost worked out.

filker0
02-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Let's stick with things that are possible to program, here. I've got my hand slapping algorithm almost worked out.Be sure to watch out for race conditions where the poster also mentions system("pause"); -- you don't want the one slap to block the other. :rolleyes: