PDA

View Full Version : How do bloggers make money?

lschmidt
12-30-2005, 09:05 PM
I understand that they make money via advertising programs like adsense, but this is what I don't understand.

Do the bloggers who make money blogging own a website where they basically publish a personal journal?

Or, do they publish their journal on somebody else's site that allows them to insert code for advertising and such?

sean
12-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Most blogger's don't make money, but the ones who do are basically affiliates (I feel so smart, I just read a book on this). A really good example of this is www.howstuffworks.com

Basically, it is just advertizing like you said. You make a site that people really want to visit - something people want to see. And as a result you get lots of money. Simple enough. So think about this - in order to actually make money from the advertizing, your site needs to be pretty popular. People who are getting that much traffic, and have page designs that nice, and content that original, generally have their own web site. Hope that answers the question.

Thantos
12-30-2005, 10:06 PM
They sell their soul

CompiledMonkey
01-02-2006, 12:20 PM
They sell their soul

Basically.

gcn_zelda
01-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Most of the time, though, their souls aren't worth that much anyway.

Thantos
01-02-2006, 01:34 PM
And neither are their blogs :)

gcn_zelda
01-02-2006, 01:56 PM
By the way, I won't deny that I do have a weblog. It's in my signature, but I do not use it for money; it would not be worth anything. I merely use it as a way to communicate with my friends.