PDA

View Full Version : Programming certifications

PJYelton
12-29-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm currently a programmer at a company and have only a Bachelors in Computer Science. I want to improve my resume with things like certifications but to be honest I don't know squat about what I should look for. The only people I know who are certified in anything are all certified in subjects dealing with networking or hardware, two things I don't really care about.

Any advice or recommendations on certifications or similar that I should be looking into? I'm solely interested in programming.

IfYouSaySo
12-29-2005, 08:01 PM
I don't know, but I have the same interest. Got my BS about 6 months ago, and just wondering how many of these things I can rack up on my free time.

I think there is one of these MCSE--"Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer". Pretty sure it tests your knowledge of Microsoft based languages, their development environment, the Win32 API, etc. I was considering looking into it. Also wondering if there is a cert for .NET that MS sponsors.

psychopath
12-29-2005, 08:56 PM
>>Also wondering if there is a cert for .NET that MS sponsor<<

As far as I know, the MCSE program assumes that you're familier with .NET

-psychopath

PING
12-29-2005, 10:58 PM
If you are comfortable with java, become a SCJP (Sun Certified Java Programmer). Check out java.sun.com for details.

IfYouSaySo
12-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Obvously certifications main usefulness is that they are eye candy to hiring managers. Maybe they might also fetch you a higher salary at some companies. So if you're looking to run your own business who cares anyway...

IfYouSaySo
12-30-2005, 02:02 AM
Victorian: I've noticed you pushing ISV's here in a few threads. Not entirely clear on what they are. You say that it is selling a vendor's technology, but specializing it so you can sell it as your own. So that is my working definition. So give an example of a MS technology that could be specialized, and then sold as my own. Mind you, I'm not asking for an original idea, or a good idea, you can pick one that you know some other company already came up with and has brought to market. I just want a concrete example so that ISV will make more sense to me. Because it basically sounds like a small software company that creates some niche product to me.