PDA

View Full Version : does the mind change as you get older?

Anddos
12-12-2005, 07:45 AM
god life was so lardie da when your a kid , now it just feels like a misrable place to be as everyone goes there own way.
and another thing is i tend to forget quite quickly what i just did 5 mins ago ,
do you guys think it has something todo with relgion and stuff

nvoigt
12-12-2005, 07:58 AM
do you guys think it has something todo with relgion and stuff

Probably just stuff, neither religion nor region have anything to do with it.

Anddos
12-12-2005, 08:06 AM
i guess ,,,,
i just wish i was a kid again playing about seems like i am in a totally diferent lifetime now and its kind of plain

Govtcheez
12-12-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm pretty sure it's religion.

cboard_member
12-12-2005, 09:49 AM
I think people just change over time, in general I mean. Do you remember when you were 8 - 15 years old and you never wanted to go to bed when your parents said? Then when you got to like 16-17+ you just couldn't wait to get into bed? By 9pm I start the turn in process (end convo's / games, shutdown, tv then sleep).

Religion might make a difference some how, but I don't really have strong beliefs as far as religion goes. I'm a "mild christian" ;)

Anddos
12-12-2005, 10:03 AM
yeh i do remember , all those feelings of me playing on the computer or watching tv when i should of been inbed and mum coming up stairs , those feelings was awsome
you get so many rush's and emotions its untrue ,
dont you think as you get older days go faster as well

adrianxw
12-12-2005, 10:28 AM
>>> dont you think as you get older days go faster as well

Don't I know it. It only seems like yesterday I'd finished LAST years wretched Christmas Cards.

BobMcGee123
12-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Adulthood hits in the face like a sledgehammer flung off the front end of a speeding ferarri.

nvoigt
12-12-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm pretty sure it's religion.

Do atheists get younger ? If so, what age are they born and if they age in reverse wouldn't it be pretty dull to know your birthdate ( which happens to be your death date ) in advance ?

My watch is currently broken. Does that mean I'm agnostic ? Or just too lazy to get it repaired ? Matter of fact, I'm both, but that could just be a statistical anomaly.

Oh man, I hate those religious questions. I mean what if Shiva (http://s93153315.onlinehome.us/portfolio/images/shiva.gif) had a watch on each wrist, wouldn't that make the time go faster for practising hindus no matter what age ?

I'm too old for this ........ ! (http://www.shop4photos.net/graphics/258/258629.jpg)

BobMcGee123
12-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Yes to everything you said.

I see govt's cunning now. I'm convinced it's religion.

kermi3
12-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Steps out from the psychology student shelter

Anddos -

If you're refereeing to actual cognitive changes - yes it does.

After young adulthood (18-25ish) research has indicated that your actual cognitive processing speed declines. However, there's a trade off, at the same time your "crystallized intelligence" (think life experience) increases. Some research has shown that when faced with a problem younger managers tend to analyze more information than older adults BUT older adults generally come up with the same solutions as younger managers, and sometimes better ones. It is hypothesized that this is because older adults are better able to limit their thinking to information needed and use previous experience to make their choice.

As adults get much older (60's+) they begin to loose some inhibition abilities. In other words, in completely even circumstances, they have a harder time ignoring distracting stimuli. However, it is quite possible that older adults may use skills and techniques they've learned to negate the loss.

Western culture generally sees the elderly as less capable and more forgetful. Research in western cultures has generally supported this view. However, in east Asian cultures, that generally value the elderly more and give them greater respect that us westerners, experiments have shown that the elderly show significant memory differences from younger adults. This has led some researchers to hypothesize that the loss of some cognitive functions, such as memory, in western cultures may be due to a social bias that influence people into thinking they are losing memory.

There's my little shpeel...I can go into a bit of detail on any of this if anyone is interested...and I can give citations for all of it if anyone is interested in reading more...

Liger86
12-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Here is my perspective. I think that as we age we become comfortable with the way we do live our lives that it is sometimes scary or awkward when we have to adjust to a change. A good example is music; most elderly people prefer to listen to what they listened to when they were young and consider rap and hip hop just brainless. Maybe Iím wrong but I truly believe that we as the society are scared to adjust to constant changes in particular life time.

Is that good thinking or what? ĎCause Iím tired of life too, and Iím only 19. I wish I knew what my point in life really isÖ