PDA

View Full Version : Why did you start programming or what got you into programming?

Pages : [1] 2

Flikm
09-03-2001, 12:05 AM
My story is pretty interesting. One day, I was exploring on my cousins computer and found a program called "Methodus Toolz". It was an AOL spoof type thing that screwed with AOL kicking people off and junk. When I got home, I went to the site and downloaded it. I started browsing around the site and found a section called, "Make Programs Like This" or something. Guess what happened, I CLICKED!!!! I found out it was made in VisualBasic and tried to find it. Then I discovered Qbasic on my computer. I opened it up and was a bit disappointed to find a text editor and thought, "how the hell am I gonna make a program with this?". Well, I gave up after a while but then, my friend(he gave up programming) told me how programming works. That's when I started Qbasic.

I know it's long :).

mithrandir
09-03-2001, 03:28 AM
I was ordered to by the government. They performed a ritualistic shaving of my genitals and insisted I then program computers, lest they'd use hot wax next time.

Jokes...serioulsy, I had to take it for a university subject, as part of my IS degree.

Fordy
09-03-2001, 03:57 AM
I do it for fun (?) - I dont even work with computer design, well I occasionally write access databases for the business's I work for (though I find these tedious most of the time). My career is more finance based.

But then I am young, and I do plan to bring more of my hobby into my career as I go on.

nvoigt
09-03-2001, 04:37 AM
It started back when I had an Atari ST. I saw my cousin doing
great stuff in his computer science class ( in the equivalent to
highschool, he's one year older than me ), so I started
programming, too. I fooled around with Omicron Basic, did some
programs which printed jokes and stuff... Later I did a full GUI
for a character generator for AD&D I played religiously at that
time. Then came my own programming classes in Turbo Pascal.
Text Adventures. Lousy ones :p
I decided to do programming as a career and went to another
school ( equiv. to BSc ), which taught C/C++, VB, ASM and some
other useful things.

gamegod3001
09-03-2001, 04:53 AM
I first looked into programming after I beat sonic the headghog 2 for the milonth time. Fully expacting to be able to make games for the genesis I searched the internet, boy was I in for a sirprise. Luckly one of my first results (if not the first) was the article on how to make a game on gamedev.net.

So I went to softseek and browsed around for a compiler, that would fit on a floppy. And sure enought I found one. So I downloaded it and brought it to this computer only to find out that it was a zip file. Witch this computer did not have. So I nearly forgot about it beliving that I would never get what I need.

Then last summer I browsed through a book on ms-dos commands and discoverd qbasic. So I did a search and found tons of information on it. So I instaled it off the cd and and started typing. I never did very much though only ever make a donkey kong clone.

Finaly last christmas I got the internet as a gift. So I downloaded bloodshed (witch I belive I learned about from this site) and looked at the tutorials. Then I read a few more but none of them were as good. Board I decided to cheak out the message board and discoverd the FAQ, and the e-boook C++ in 21 days 2nd edtion. Now I spend to much time on these boards.

I still haven't made any games for the genesis ;)

RobS
09-03-2001, 05:13 AM
Because I wanted to know how Elite or Repton or Solstice or Chuckie Egg or Yie Ar Kung Fu or any other of my then favourite games worked.

So I started looking at BASIC, but gave up mostly due to some complete unsufferable people at school where the whole thing become more effort than was possibly worth while. Especially when there were people who owned books on machine code.

Then came the imb PC era which kind of started to pass me by as we never got one of these at home, I was still kind of interested but I was going down the dangerous but cool route of NES then SNES.

Then my dad decided he needed a PC at home so he could occassionally be there rather than at the office so got a PC around 5 years ago.

I dabbled a bit in QBASIC but didn't really get anywhere.

Then I went to University were during the course of my Physics degree I had to learn C and G/LabView and have since become employed to do it and would love to drum up the enthuiasm\time\money to learn how to use C++.

adrianxw
09-03-2001, 05:48 AM
At university I was using a stats package to try and correlate various physical characteristics of a number of paleozoic fish fossils. Being a student, i.e. completely lazy, I got fed up with going through the routine of setting up each run. I chatted up one of the computer jockeys and found out how to automate the process using JCL.

Witch_King
09-03-2001, 08:06 AM
I started a couple years ago because I went back to school. I've always wanted to be a 'Horror' writer, not a programmer, but programming isn't half bad, and it's getting more interesting as I progress. Writing is a lot more difficult.

In my soul though I love creatures such as vampires, werewolves, and the mummy. This began when I was a child. I especially enjoy gothic horor, and not so much all they types of horror that existed in the 90's such as psychopathic serial killer stuff. I think that the 80's were much better for horror. Even the music of the 80's was more suitable for horror themes. Yeah, I really wanted to be a writer. I couldn't do it. If I ever had time for a hobby than it would involve writing horror. Maybe I'll try again.

Aran
09-03-2001, 09:12 AM
Ever since i got my first PC (that ran on DOS and you had to go through a system of crappy menus to get to Windows3.1) i became interested in how it worked. Well, i was lazy back then and didn't do anything about it because i didn't feel like looking up all of that random computer jargon that i didn't know at the time (and i didn't have the internet).

Well, after 3 years of forgetting about it i signed up for a comp sci course freshmen year in high school and learned turbo pascal, which i excelled in and was the best programmer in the class after a good two weeks. I passed everyone else by and learned stuff that we were never supposed to go into (i.e. procedures) and continued to learn until i decided that PASCAL wasn't adequate to make the game i was going to make. Well, after a few months of consideration i went out and bought SAMS Lear C++ in 24 Hours and read it through, picking everything up and learning very fast (i prolly got through the book in a week). Next i decided i needed some type of resource so i went out and picked up a copy of C++ In Plain English (an excellent book). From that i learned more about everything, and i finally learned how to operate the insertion and extraction operators. Now i'm greatly enjoying fooling around with C++ and beign the authority on programming in the sophmore class... i think i know more than most people in comp sci 4, and i'm only taking comp sci 1 this year.

Well, i love programming and it's been a hell of a good time doing it so far, i hope that it continues to be as fun and exciting as it has been.

-KEN-
09-03-2001, 10:06 AM
well, I remember my first PC, some monochrome (Orange and black, I believe) IBM PC (maybe not IBM but IBM-compatible) with a dot-matrix printer that wasn't good for much more than typing up reports and printing. I always remember loving that thing, though. I always wanted to take it apart and see how it worked, but I knew my dad would be ........ed if I did. So sooner or later we got rid of that, and we got the first of our more "modern" PC's which was an old compaq runnig windows 3.1, which we upgraded to 95. I liked that one even more, and learned all sorts of neat things about computers using that.

So like 3 years ago we put that one upstairs and bought a PIII gateway (ha! the compaq was pre-pentium) which we got the internet (yay!!) on. Then I went to my friend's house and he showed me Sub7 (dundundun!). I remember really getting into hacking after that. Never skript kiddie-wise, though. Always wanting to learn more and more without resorting to use those types of programs. Then I went to www.happyhacker.org one day, and stumbled across the programming section of the GTMHH, and immediately I knew I wanted to program. At first I tried to find a fortran compiler, but decided against it. Then I found QBASIC on my old compaq and fiddled with it for a while, using only the cruddy help files. Needless to say I didn't get far, and once again went on a search for a fortran compiler.

I never did find one, but I DID find a link to the Miracle C compiler, and a small tutorial on the C language somewhere. I was immediately hooked. I went to a small bookstore soon after and bought C For Dummies, and went on my merry way programming up a storm, and absorbing everything I could find on the language. Then I typed in a few random URLS and found this site, and immediately asked my first board question, under the name "Chillin" - "How do I save things to disk?". Wasn't I a good little newbie and read the FAQ oh-so-well?

Oh well, the rest is history.

Fool
09-03-2001, 11:45 AM
I started because it looked fun and interesting. When I got into it, I found that it was not the same old thing everyday. I like that kind of change. I just can't wait until I can do it as a career:D

-Fool

rick barclay
09-03-2001, 12:23 PM
I had a copy of VS 6 and four months of free time over the past winter. What the hell, might as well. It led me here. I have no
regrets.

rick barclay

ArseMan
09-03-2001, 01:05 PM
I started because I wanted to make a mod for half-life. I had read someplace that they had used c++ to make them so I searched for compilers and eventually found one. I then searched for tutorials and found this site. That was about 6 months ago.

Procyon
09-03-2001, 04:01 PM
I was in 6th grade, and very much into console role-playing games. After finishing a couple, I decided I wanted to make my own. I first tried paper-and-pencil, but I found that dice-and-pencil mechanics and the lack of any sort of visual display were just too limiting. So, I told my parents I wanted to try to make a game on our computer. They got me a QBasic book and I slowly taught myself that over the next few years. However, the language was just too limiting after a while, so I purchased a C text and C compiler during high school and taught myself that as well. I enrolled in a C++ course (my first programming course ever) in my first year of college.

I'm still working on that RPG.

ehsiq
09-03-2001, 04:20 PM
I took a project for my "applications for microprocessors". It was
something with clear the noise from some measurements and
then pass the signal to an A/D and D/A through the
microcontroller...
I loved it...i made the C++ part...cleaning the noise...
The only problem is that i am not much into OOP.
anyway, after i finish electronics i will start programming...
hope one day to be my profession...

lightatdawn
09-03-2001, 04:48 PM
I got my first computer when i was about 12. 286 monochrome Zenith laptop. It was pretty cutting edge at the time. I used to just mess around on it without a purpose or goal. One day i discovered these weird Gorilla.BAS (and some other .BAS files) that i discovered could be opened and run in QBASIC. Thats about all it took for me. I just started reading the QBasic help files and looking at the Gorilla.BAS file. I was writing my own text games within a week. Didnt take long to start making an RPG with actual graphics. After completing that i had to move up.

By this point i had met a few other programmers and someone pointed me to Turbo Pascal. It was fun while it lasted and i believe i finished two games using it (and started about 50,000).

I was starting to discover the limitations of Turbo Pascal and while messing with a friends computer i found Borlands Turbo C++. I went out and bought it a few weeks later. Since finding C++ about three or four years ago (its so hard to remember) i'm (not so?) proud to state that i've never completed a single game using pure C++ code. :D New things to learn just keep coming up and i run off in hot pursuit. Just over a year ago i got the internet and its been a whole lot easier since. I had always just used the help files as my source of information but with the entire net at my fingertips...

This messageboard was helpful when i found it as well.

-KEN- said:
Then I typed in a few random URLS and found this site

*lol* Its funny. Thats how i found this site too.

doubleanti
09-03-2001, 06:11 PM
ooh!! and nibbles.bas too!!! yeah!

i don't remember how i found this site! weird.... did one of you refer it to me? i don't think so, i don't remember at all... weird....... :p

Aran
09-03-2001, 06:23 PM
i'm an evil search engine user...

i carry a pitchfork.

no-one
09-03-2001, 06:36 PM
Final Fantasy... i started playing these games and realized making games was what i wanted to do... so i did, on paper first of course, and was told from ever player(sept one) my "Paper Game"(got the idea from my bother about 2 years previous) kicked the **** out of D&D so i continued it for a few years and it surprisingly developed into a really deap story based on a book i once wrote. I made a few other "Paper Games" during the same period but none as popular... since then ive been working towards making this game a reality...

VirtualAce
09-03-2001, 07:05 PM
Don't forget gorillas.bas!!

I started programming on an IBM PCjr. It was not even a true 8086 processor because it had an 8088 that ran at 4.77 MHz. What fascinated me at the time was when Microsoft released DOS 2.10. DOS 2.10 came with the computer as well as all of the documentation for it such as commands, syntax, switches, etc. I started using DEBUG and did not understand a bit of it. But I did manage to crash my system about a million times. Of course, with a PCjr, crashing the system was commonplace. GW-BASIC also came with the system as well as a starter's kit for programming. The language was ugly with line numbers and all. The whole thing fit into this neat little cartride that you plugged into the PCjr. I'm so glad those days are gone.

Anyways, when the first Flight Simulator (SubLogic/Microsoft)came out, I was hooked. Bruce Artwick was my hero then. From that time on I tried to program my own kind of sim in BASIC. Yeah, I know- *impossible*, but I learned a lot trying. So, then I started learning about arrays and how you could make games from them and then moved on to graphics, sprites, etc. I don't know how many games I've started since that time but it is a whole lot more than I've finished.

I moved on to C simply because it was rumored that this new language with a funny little name was probably the most powerful language next to assembly. So, I taught myself C and C++ through help files and books. I tried to learn as much about the language as was available. I remember staying up late at night trying to read that ridiculous help file. It was so hard just understanding the syntax of the functions, but with more late nights it became a whole lot easier. I must have hard-locked the computer at least a trillion times writing my first C/C++ programs.
Now almost every night I'm on the Internet researching something about C/C++. There are a couple of huge three-ring binders at my computer desk full of print-outs about the language from various websites.

Programming is my hobby at present, but perhaps some day I will be able to work with a team on some new great game and see it all the way to the shelves.

The Internet has allowed access to more programming information than I ever could have dreamed of having before. I found this board while browsing topics about C programming on Excite. It has never left my bookmarks since.

gamegod3001
09-03-2001, 07:13 PM
>Then I typed in a few random URLS and found this site, and immediately asked my first board question, under the name "Chillin" - "How do I save things to disk?". Wasn't I a good little newbie and read the FAQ oh-so-well? <

>*lol* Its funny. Thats how i found this site too.<

Me to ,but I only I did not go to the boards right away. But I did read the FAQ.

-KEN-
09-03-2001, 07:22 PM
I don't like FAQ's...too preachy :p

Aran
09-03-2001, 07:29 PM
ummm..... i actually read the faq too....

it helped me with the random numbers quetion i had that i wuld've posted if i didn't find it there...

anyhow...............

Witch_King
09-03-2001, 09:42 PM
I never read the FAQ. Not yet anyway.

rick barclay
09-04-2001, 06:01 AM
>Don't forget gorillas.bas!!<

One of my all-time favorites and precursor to the Worms genre.
I never liked Worms, though--too complicated.

rick barclay

Govtcheez
09-04-2001, 06:20 AM
I loved Worms - don't need to think about anything - just knocking invertabrates off the screen :)

Anywho - my dad was a programmer, so he had a few QBasic books lying around. One just listed the source code for like 50 games. I started to copy the code into there from the books, and thought I was "programming". I never did actually finish a program, and usually lost interest after about 20 lines or so (some things will never change).

After that, I didn't do anything until 10th grade, when I took a beginning class in Pascal, and that was when I got hooked. I took advanced programming in 11th grade, but my school had upgraded computers in between the times I took the classes. So, instead of programming beginning Pascal on 286's, I was doing "advanced" VB5 on Pentiums. No problem tho, I picked that up easily. Then, I got a job here and was forced to learn ObjectPAL and Cyrano. I took a JAVA class at school, and will take another in about a month. In January, I was told I needed to learn C to re-write a program that I had done in Cyrano. So, what will someone with one book on C (at least I had K&R) and internet access do? I typed in www.cprogramming.com, and poof!, all my free time disappeared!

Flikm
09-04-2001, 01:47 PM
I discovered this site by typing in random URL's :P. I tried about 35 but this one and www.cplusplus.com were the only ones that worked :).

Pendragon
09-04-2001, 03:07 PM
I like worms!

There is something rather sweet about miniscule, heavily-armed invertibrates.
There is something even more fun about having them blow each other to dust. ::evil cackle::

It's similar to letting the ever popular Lemmings walk off of a high platform and then disintegrate with that horrible squelching sound.

It's brilliant!

Peeglepuff
09-04-2001, 03:18 PM
In answer to question...

I was given a hell of a lot of literature on the subject by my sister who is a programmer.

I really will have to fix that signature. It seems that Netscape=Peeglepuff and
MSIE=Pendragon. Hmm.... that shall have to be remedied.

Chucky Egg is the best game *ever*. *I* think so anyway.

Aran
09-04-2001, 03:32 PM
there's another female programmer... hehe

i've really gotta redo my sig.....

Peeglepuff
09-04-2001, 03:42 PM
Female programmers aren't *that* unusual. We can be pale-faced computer geeks too you know! ::grin::

Peeglepuff aka Pendragon

Aran
09-04-2001, 03:48 PM
I know that you guys aren't that rare in general. On this board the males outnumber the females like 30 to 1... i'm not saying that this board is a decent cross section of the programming community or anything...

Peeglepuff
09-04-2001, 03:54 PM
Hmm....

30 men for every lady...

It doesn't seem that bad at all when said like that!

Pendragon
09-04-2001, 03:54 PM
Hmm....

30 men for every lady...

It doesn't seem that bad at all when said like that!

Pendragon
09-04-2001, 04:00 PM
Hmm...

That was totally unintentional.
::kicks computer::

Aran
09-04-2001, 04:05 PM
hehe, damn those schizophrenic computers.

Aran
09-04-2001, 04:06 PM
after messing around with the options and seeing what i can do to be unique (avatar, sig, font - all of which are (c) me), i have finally settled with what i have now. speak now or forever hold your peace.

Pendragon
09-04-2001, 04:08 PM
Amen.

Aran
09-04-2001, 04:13 PM
pendragon: what a coincidence: i live on earth too! ::sences a conspiracy::

Pendragon
09-04-2001, 04:19 PM
Really? I thought you came from the USA?

*Your* location mentions nothing of Earth, whereas mine is clearly stated as you see.

The conspiracy you think you sense is just a total figment of your imagination and you really should see a doctor before it gets much worse.

Or not, depending on what the eskimo programmer near the iceburg feels.

< !-- Not to Elan:(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Pendragon
09-04-2001, 04:20 PM
Oops!
Aran not Elan.
:Doh!:

Aran
09-04-2001, 04:24 PM
i have consulted the eskimo programmer near the iceburg and he has told me that i should seek out a man by the name of Bill Gates and brutally mangle his body and spread his limbs and entrails about the Isle of Wight (is that how you spell it). I shall do his bidding emmidiately and efficiently.

ANd, yes, my name is Aran, not Elan. Funkily enough, i had a character on Diablo 2 that was named Elandi (a sorceress). That just further convinces me that there is a conspiracy.

Pendragon
09-04-2001, 04:33 PM
I am still convinced of the complete lack of a conspiracy of any kind.
Though, I too have had the vision of the man they call Bast...uh...Bill Gates many a time.

But, though this is the case. I'm sure it has been so for many a programmer.

I have a pet cat called Elandis though.

Aran
09-04-2001, 06:01 PM
is that just a random name your family came up with, or is does it mean something/ is used frequently somewhere else in the world as a name?

doubleanti
09-04-2001, 07:22 PM
> Female programmers aren't *that* unusual. We can be pale-faced computer geeks too you know! ::grin::

word up sista!

how come no body is on our web siiiiite!!! ? ken, govt, that means YOU!!!! ahem, *cough*, update, *cough*... oh, and while i'm using this tone... i be like given shout out to silent striiike!

[std disclaimers... for those of you who don't know... gender and other stuff i can't remember enough to type...]

-you gotta keep it moderated!!!
-da

Pendragon
09-05-2001, 11:16 AM
Umm... Elandis is significant in three ways.

1. It's the largest type of deer in the world. Zoology runs rampant in my household.

2. It's a character in one of my mates old fan-fics.

3. It's a branch of my family.

Umm... but before we discovered this it was indeed just a random name.

Koshare
09-06-2001, 12:35 AM
I basically invented computers and programming... go to http://www.geocities.com/kosharewag/History_of_computers.html

to find out the truth....

ski6ski
09-06-2001, 04:34 PM
Well I got into programming in grade school (I think 7th grade) on a AppleIIE. Working with BasicA! What a joke. I got into making text adventures, graphics (what a joke again), and amusing my classmates. Then when I got into high school I took Advanced Computers I & II (still AppleIIE!) and scored A+ in both. When I graduated I recieve a Honor In programming (what a Joke again!!!). Then I learned about IBM machines....... they blew me away and discouraged me from going into progamming! Anyways about 5years later i bought my FIRSTcomputer! Then while working one day, a co-worker was talking about programming and a spark went off and I bought Beging programming in Visual C++4.0 at Babages for about $40.

Well thats my story.

doubleanti
10-01-2001, 11:00 PM
::revises the histories of self-programming::

for art... nothing else...

mfc2themax
10-02-2001, 02:54 AM
I started when i was 10 or so... (1985) My dad was a programmer, he basically showed me the way at first, and i went from there.