PDA

View Full Version : Why is it gibberish?

ober
11-09-2005, 07:07 AM
I consider myself a pretty decent programmer. I know several languages inside and out, and I program for a living. I've even taken 3 or 4 courses in C and C-based concepts in college. Yet, when I look at some of the posts on this board, I'm like "you did what to the who how?"

I think I've just been away from C for too long and never really learned C++ to the point where I can understand the small things about the language. I certainly understand the basics of C, but I really wish some of this stuff didn't just go over my head.

And the thing that really ........es me off is that I'd really like to learn more C++, but I'm too busy concentrating on the other languages I use and want to learn.

I'm really not even sure why I come to this board anymore... I don't actually contribute anything.

/rant

Prelude
11-09-2005, 07:22 AM
>when I look at some of the posts on this board, I'm like "you did what to the who how?"
Get used to it. I consider myself well above average, yet I constantly see code that elicits a "WTF is that!?" response. Then after I work with it for a bit and figure it out, my response changes to "HTF did you figure that out!?".

>I'm really not even sure why I come to this board anymore... I don't actually contribute anything.
You do what you can, when you can, and nobody should expect more than that. It's not like we're paid to post here. ;)

ober
11-09-2005, 08:18 AM
*whew*... glad I'm not the only one. I just feel like I've forgotten EVERYTHING sometimes.

>> It's not like we're paid to post here.
Did you stop getting your checks? ;)

Prelude
11-09-2005, 09:12 AM
>Did you stop getting your checks?
I never got any checks. Alex tricked me into thinking that this forum was strictly voluntary. :(

ober
11-09-2005, 09:18 AM
We'll just see about that :mad:

:: shuffles off to payroll dept ::

adrianxw
11-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Payroll is closed until last Tuesday.

SlyMaelstrom
11-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Can I get an advance? I'm overdue on rent.

VirtualAce
11-10-2005, 12:08 AM
ober how can you say that. You add a lot to the board. I see code here that blows my mind at times, and at times, I see code that makes me cringe.

I guess as a hobbyist coder I probably do more wide-range programming in C++ than those who have a programming job. For instance when I code a game I don't have a tools programming dept to turn to - so I learn MFC and all the Win32 crapola I can stand, which isn't much, and move on. I also have to understand DirectX, DirectShow, input, etc,. etc. I cannot afford the 6000 dollar Miles sound library...so I make a basic one to suit my needs. But I'm quite weak in network programming, sockets, etc.

So my point is if your job or your hobby is taking you into other languages, then that is perfectly fine. To be honest when people ask about all that text file crapola and streams in the C++ board or how to extract a sentence, some of it throws me because I don't do that often at all. Or if they ask questions about scanf() etc, etc. I never, ever, ever use scanf() because my input comes either from Win32 or from DirectInput. I never have written a single console program so all of that stuff I pretty much ignore and don't answer those types of questions. But if it's about DOS in general, graphics, D3D, DX, OpenGL, 3d math, etc., then I answer. But as for homework and extracting "See spot run." from a file - I rarely answer these.

So even though you may be like WTF, I'm sure with a little examination of the code you will definitely understand it. You retain what you repeat and if you stay away from C++ or don't use it much, you probably won't retain all of it in your long-term memory.

Actually my biggest fear here is I know we have Prelude, Salem, nvoigt, quzah, and some others constantly browsing the posts. My fear is one time they will see one of my posts and just blast it because it isn't up to the standard or violates some rule. I haven't had any C/C++ or assembly formal training. My only class was BASIC and while everyone was writing "hello" in class, I was writing a video game. Instructor loved that.

I think you are being too hard on yourself. If anything your personality definitely contributes a lot to this place. So stick around - not that you were saying you are leaving...but stay here.

Maybe we can get the board admins to cut you a check as well. ;)

nvoigt
11-10-2005, 01:19 AM
And wouldn't it be a really boring place if you already knew everything posted here ?

Edit:

Payroll is closed until last Tuesday.

Is this routine maintenance or does it mean I'm not getting Preludes pay as a bonus anymore ? :p

ober
11-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. I wasn't saying that I was planning on leaving, because I think I'm probably eternally stuck here ;)

And yeah, you're probably right nvoigt. I'd probably get more bored with the place if I didn't have the C/C++ boards hanging up there begging me to learn something. (It really is a subconcious motivator of sorts).

I think it's routine maintenance. I saw webmaster in there having a cup of coffee and using $50s for coasters the other day.

major_small
11-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Ober, I've been thinking the same thing... in fact it was some of your posts that made me think "wtf was that?!" and like Prelude said, sometimes I say "HTF did you figure that out?!"

Actually, knowing that both you and Prelude think that makes me feel alot better... I kinda look up to you both sometimes, as I'm sure alot of people do ;-)

ober
11-10-2005, 01:24 PM
My posts?? Where?