PDA

View Full Version : Internship

B0bDole
10-27-2005, 05:31 PM
I need an Internship. I'm a junior majoring in Management Information Systems. I don't care what the internship is as long as it at least remotely has something to do with computers. If anyone can help me out, please, I'm begging you, do so.

This would be for the summer, May 5th - August 15th.

I'm competent in web design and computer troubleshooting. Also a beginer when it comes to C and Java.

Reply if you have any ideas. Thanks.

Prelude
10-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Where do you live?

B0bDole
10-27-2005, 05:47 PM
I live in Florida but I am willing to pay for a room anywhere, I'll get a hotel or whatever it takes. I need the resume builder & experience more than the money.

jmd15
10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
A beginner when it comes to C?? You fooled me.

B0bDole
10-27-2005, 08:37 PM
A beginner when it comes to C?

Well, I have about 3 yrs (school) experience with C. 2 yrs with Java. That's pretty beginner when it comes to applying to a job I guess...

rockytriton
10-27-2005, 08:41 PM
well, it's really hard to find a job doing programming with a management in IS degree. Unless you have some good experience (real world experience), then most places don't want to hire a programmer without a computer science degree. I would suggest moving somewhere else, like D.C. The job market here is still great, and it would be easier to find an intern level job here. What part of FL are you in? I have a friend who works at Web MD as a software engineer down in Tampa, I could find out if they get interns.

B0bDole
10-27-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm not trying to get a programming job.

I'm trying to get an internship, doing anything involved with computers.

rockytriton
10-27-2005, 08:47 PM
maybe go out and get an A+ certification, that's the easiest way to get into the "computer" field. It's not that hard really, and if you have a degree then you will have that going for you, because most people who try to get those types of jobs don't have degrees, they just get the certifications.

B0bDole
10-27-2005, 08:56 PM
>maybe go out and get an A+ certification, that's the easiest way to get into the "computer" field.

You don't understand, I'm in college, I need an internship.

nickname_changed
10-27-2005, 09:49 PM
A+ won't help him if he wants to be a programmer - thats more of a networking thing. A much better thing to do is start an open source project - you'll practice coding along with design, project management and maintenance.

axon
10-27-2005, 11:27 PM
>>You don't understand, I'm in college, I need an internship.

your school should offer a place that could help you obtain a co-op or an internship position. My uni has two such places: career services and a special office just for engineers. The requirements are freagin unbelievable but something like that exists.

Get this; in order to obtain a co-op through my college you have to have a 3.5 GPA, can take <15sem hours, can't work more then 20hrs a week at the co-op and it there is a pay limit of I think $8.... fscking ridiculus.

B0bDole
10-28-2005, 06:10 AM
>The requirements are freagin unbelievable but something like that exists.

Exactly, I wont be taking the classes required for co-op until my last semester, so that's no good.

>A+ won't help him if he wants to be a programmer
... read the op

rockytriton
10-28-2005, 06:41 AM
A+ won't help him if he wants to be a programmer - thats more of a networking thing. A much better thing to do is start an open source project - you'll practice coding along with design, project management and maintenance.

he said he doesn't want to be a programmer in his previous post.

Get this; in order to obtain a co-op through my college you have to have a 3.5 GPA

come on, it's not that hard to get a 3.5 GPA.

Govtcheez
10-28-2005, 07:07 AM
> there is a pay limit of I think $8.... fscking ridiculus.

Ouch. My freshman year I made 12.25 at my co-op. We've got a co-op from my old school here who's a junior and makes $16. Guess you picked the wrong school :p

axon
10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
>>come on, it's not that hard to get a 3.5 GPA.

not in my school. not if you commute an hour and a half each way. not if you work a full time job - which is the majority in my school.

Sh!t, even the kids that live on campus struggle to get a gpa over 3. UIC has become a really tough school :(

LightsOut06
10-28-2005, 03:01 PM
>>come on, it's not that hard to get a 3.5 GPA.

not in my school. not if you commute an hour and a half each way. not if you work a full time job - which is the majority in my school.

Sh!t, even the kids that live on campus struggle to get a gpa over 3. UIC has become a really tough school :(

same way at my school. I honestly know waaaay more people with gpas under 3.0 than over 3.0 (i go to an engineering school btw Univ Missouri-Rolla).