PDA

View Full Version : Only programming in C++

The SharK
10-17-2005, 02:38 PM
How many of you have ONLY learned to program
by using C++ and have managed fine by that ?

Prelude
10-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Technically I started with another language, then moved to C, then C++, amongst other languages.

Dante Shamest
10-17-2005, 02:54 PM
I learned C and Java before C++.
Ironically, Java taught me how to use C++ better.

JaWiB
10-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Well I started with QBasic, but I don't think I went very far with that. And then I did some C but I can't say I "learned" it either.

Mad_guy
10-17-2005, 03:32 PM
I actually started off with a bunch of scripting languages before I moved onto C. To be completely honest, I really wish I had started with C first, then moved onto other languages to inevitably hit C++ and keep going.

jmd15
10-17-2005, 04:04 PM
I started off with C++, then dabbled in a few other languages. Well if you count HTML and JavaScript I learned those before C++.
EDIT:
Now that I think of it, I did do a little bit of BASIC before C++ on this really old thing that booted to DOS, I think it had Windows 3.1 or something.

Decrypt
10-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Oh, man, this makes me feel old. (I'm not, really) I started out on Apple BASIC, on my mom's Apple IIc+. I've worked with that, Qbasic, pascal, and VB before C++.

Thantos
10-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Lets see started with BASIC, then C, assembly (which made C a lot better), then c++, php. I'm about to start on VB since I want to write a simple GUI program and doing it in C++ is a pain.

The nice thing about programming is once you learn the ideas and concepts its just a matter of learning the syntax and the strength and weaknesses of the various languages.

PJYelton
10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Don't say that makes you feel old because then you'll make me feel old. I did the same thing, started with Apple Basic on my Apple IIe, then on to QBasic, then C++ and a little Java. Now I use mostly Perl for work but I still dabble in C++ for myself.

7smurfs
10-17-2005, 04:47 PM
I've done a little bit of:
C
C++
C#
VB.Net
Java
PHP

Not alot in any of them, but most of them wouldn't give me much trouble to use.

EDIT: By which I mean: I could code a single line before making it uncompilable.

Rashakil Fol
10-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Let's see. Most of these languages I don't _know_, but some I've hopped through or am now learning.
MS Works Spreadsheet -> QBASIC -> TI-BASIC -> RPL -> C++ -> Perl/Ruby/Io/C/Scheme/XSLT. It would be cool if C++ had call-with-current-continuation, but I won't get into that.

sean
10-17-2005, 06:20 PM
A fairly popular path for me. I started on QBasic, then learned C and C++, then branched out. From there, I've done Java, System370 and x86 Assembly, C#, VB.NET and dabbled in some other stuff.

nickname_changed
10-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Javascript->C++->C->Perl->Java->PHP->C#->VB.NET

Markup languages like XML/HTML/XSLT don't count.

Thantos
10-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Oh yeah I forgot all about javascript...

Pyroteh
10-17-2005, 06:59 PM
started out in C++ but quickly moved to python and java

rockytriton
10-17-2005, 08:22 PM
I learned C first, though I thought I was doing c++.

major_small
10-17-2005, 11:07 PM
you missed a poll option: starting with C++ then moving on to other languages... unless you meant for the first option to cover that...

Including anything remotely close to programming languages, I started messing with simple batch files, then moved to HTML, then took an HTML/VB6 class, then got into C++, and from there dabbled in Java, PHP, JavaScript, Perl, VB.NET, and BASIC.

I too learned a little bit more about C++ from learning Java (but not much)... but I haven't really seriously touched a line of code for some time now... I've always wanted to learn assembly because alot of people say it helps you understand C/C++ better, but I just never really got around to it... maybe someday...

Rashakil Fol
10-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Markup languages like XML/HTML/XSLT don't count.

XSLT is not a markup language.

VirtualAce
10-17-2005, 11:47 PM
1. GW Basic/QBasic/QuickBasic
2. Visual Basic for DOS
3. C/C++
4. x86 assembler
5. Visual Basic 6
6. some Java
7. HTML
8. PHP (currently learning)

Just posting languages you've learned doesn't mean anything. Posting what you have done in those languages does.

cboard_member
10-17-2005, 11:57 PM
Started with BASIC, then VB, Pascal, C, C++, Python, Perl and Ruby.

*edit*

Oh and x86 assembly somewhere in-between

adrianxw
10-18-2005, 02:04 AM
I started with ICL's batch processing "language" which is not compiled, but was more sophisticated then many batch/job languages today. By the end of the '70's I was using Fortran and assemblers mostly.

In about 1983/4 we got some Z80 based Intertec Superbrain micros, running CP/M which came with a Digital Research C compiler. I played with that out of curiosity.

I'd flirted with Pascal, BASIC and Cobol but still mostly Fortran until the mid '90's. From there I went to C, and then to C++.

Today I use mostly C++, although I still use Pascal/Delphi most weeks, and maintain a lot of Fortran code.

prog-bman
10-18-2005, 03:30 AM
Hey adrianxw you are old :D.

My progession was:

QBasic -> C -> C++.

I have done some java, and some x86 asm.

ober
10-18-2005, 06:58 AM
I started in C, but here's an option I didn't see. I've never actually learned C++ and never actually written any C++ code (that might be a lie, but I doubt it).

And actually, my very first exposure to programming was in Pascal.

TactX
10-18-2005, 07:20 AM
I started with C and until now i've not really used much more. But i've been in touch with some other languages

- C++ (without STL)
- WinBatch
- Simulink with RTW (if you want to call it a language)
- Abel (a HDL)
- C#
- a _very_ little bit of Lisp

CartoonLarry
10-18-2005, 01:15 PM
1. GW Basic/QBasic
2. C
3. C++
4. Java
5. C#

Just posting languages you've learned doesn't mean anything. Posting what you have done in those languages does.

Here is something I have done:

http://www.cartoonlarry.com/flabatch/flabatch.htm

Here is what it looks like:

http://www.cartoonlarry.com/images/FlaBatch.jpg

It batch Processes the Trace Bitmaps and Break Apart features in Macromedia Flash 4/5/MX/MX2004.

I developed it for flash cartoon animators like myself who work on "no budget" projects. I give it away "FREE" on my site.

I created it with C++ (using MFC for the GUI)

BobMcGee123
10-18-2005, 01:41 PM
I started with C++, alongside visual basic. I then started learning 16 bit assembly in ms dos, then 32 bit assembly, x87 floating point unit assembly, and a couple of shader languages (but, register programming is just register programming, regardless of the instruction set). I've then experimented with writing virtual machines for AI programming (a specialized instruction set for a bot, or a table driven program).

I do some 3D graphics programming in OpenGL and can actually whip up some pretty nice looking scenes but I think a lot of it (3d graphics programming) is overhyped. I prefer writing simulation modeling software, i.e instead of overhyping shaders I like overhyping boxes that bump into each other and ........ that explodes. One of my projects that I wish I still had: I took a picture of the T.S. State of Maine down in Maine Maritime (Castine) from 3 different angles. From that, I loaded the picture on my computer, the program examined each pixel and tessellated vertices to automatically create a simple wireframe model of the ship. Wasn't actually that hard, but pretty impressive.

jmd15
10-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Well if we are listing languages we have looked into/learned then: BASIC,JavaScript,VB,C++,C,ASM,QBasic,A little bit of Python, Java, PHP, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting. Yes, major_small, I noticed that too. The language I got into the most, was C++, so even though I have done other things in languages before that, I consider it my starting language(That is why I have not voted).

Queatrix
10-19-2005, 04:13 PM
I learned HTML before C++. Does that count as poll option 3 or 1?

major_small
10-19-2005, 04:49 PM
I learned HTML before C++. Does that count as poll option 3 or 1?I guess, as the poll is written, it's option 3... note: it doesn't ask for programming languages, just languages... I guess everybody should be checking option 3, because nobody here learned C++ as a first language. Or any computer language for that matter.

on a more serious note, when people ask me what programming languages I know, I usually list the scripting/markup languages as well, but add a note identifying them as such.

B0bDole
10-19-2005, 05:38 PM
>Or any computer language for that matter.
LMFAO

I'm so teaching my kid Java before English.

white
10-19-2005, 06:33 PM
It made an impression that most of the people started with C the moved to C++ and other language. I personally started with C++ but eventually I totally switched to C. With the only exception of Objective C which is a superset of C

sand_man
10-19-2005, 06:49 PM
C/C++
Java
COBOL
Visual Basic
QBasic
Python
some x86 assembler

cboard_member
10-20-2005, 01:45 PM
It made an impression that most of the people started with C the moved to C++ and other language. I personally started with C++ but eventually I totally switched to C. With the only exception of Objective C which is a superset of C

ooo Obj-C. I'm having some problems getting GCC to compile Objective-C code and I have no idea why. I link the libs correctly (I think).

</offtopic>

B0bDole
10-20-2005, 01:46 PM
I took an OOP class that was suppose to be tought in Java for obvious reasons but the professor didn't know java so we had to do the whole class in C. If someone ever makes me write OOP in C ever again in my life I will slit their throat then my own.

cboard_member
10-20-2005, 01:49 PM
I took an OOP class that was suppose to be tought in Java for obvious reasons but the professor didn't know java so we had to do the whole class in C. If someone ever makes me write OOP in C ever again in my life I will slit their throat then my own.

OOP in C!?!?!
Ouch. I second the slitting idea.

stevong
11-19-2005, 05:03 AM
I actually started off with a bunch of scripting languages before I moved onto C. To be completely honest, I really wish I had started with C first, then moved onto other languages to inevitably hit C++ and keep going.

Yes. I agree with you. I started with Java, then followed by some scripting languages, classic ASP, PHP4, etc.

I'm away from computer stuffs for more than a year. Now Im learning C. It's really a nightmare. All the new concepts starts coming in (which I've taken for granted. Remember how easy java manipulate strings? Remember how easy can one accomplish stuffs using PHP?)

If one started with C, I guess one would start to appreciate other newer languages :)