PDA

View Full Version : effectivity of !! READ BEFORE POSTING !! threads

nonpuz
09-29-2005, 02:08 AM
I know a lot of regulars on the programming boards get irritated when the same damn questions come up everytime, when the answer is sitting right there in the FAQ, or in a previous thread (ie use the GOD DAMN SEARCH FUNCTION).

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a better way of getting people to read the FAQ, guidelines, etc...before posting their question.

One option could be forcing people to read them when they register their nickname, although I don't know how this could be achieved, reasonably.

Bah, theres probably not a more effective way, oh well. Would make things better, and have more challenging questions on the boards, but I guess its just not plausible. :P

Note: I'm speaking more in general terms, ie all forums throughout the internet.

7smurfs
09-29-2005, 04:41 AM
The only way you'll get most people to read the FAQs is to go to every new registered user's house and hold a gun to their head till they have read and understood it.

Actually, you could make every new registered user take, and pass (with 100%) a test before he or she can make a new post. During this test, the only threads he or she can read are the FAQs. If the new user fails the test, they must wait 24 hours being able to take it again.

pianorain
09-29-2005, 07:10 AM
Aye, the quiz idea has come up before. I like it; it discourages people that aren't really motivated (read: homework pushers).

Thantos
09-29-2005, 07:34 AM
They are really effective when we post a link in their thread and then close it.

Govtcheez
09-29-2005, 08:10 AM
The quiz idea would be effective, but it'd be alienating as hell for new users. "You're not smart enough to join here, ........ off!"

white
09-29-2005, 08:34 AM
someone who is really interested , he/she'll definately look at the faq before posting. Most of the people though are either not very interested or they find the process boring which is exactly the same thing to me.

nonpuz
09-29-2005, 12:48 PM
The quiz idea would be effective, but it'd be alienating as hell for new users. "You're not smart enough to join here, ........ off!"

Not if all the answers are in the FAQ and they're allowed to read it.

nonpuz
09-29-2005, 12:50 PM
They are really effective when we post a link in their thread and then close it.

Right, but isnt that a hastle? Wouldn't it be much nicer if that was a rare occurence, rather then a decent question being the rare occurence.

mrafcho001
09-29-2005, 01:16 PM
making someone take a quiz before they register on the forums will just keep people away.. I know that if had to take quiz before i could register would be pretty gay.

A much better idea is to just answer their thread and provide them with a link to the FAQ and tell them to read it next time before they post (Like thats gonna happen).

nonpuz
09-29-2005, 03:18 PM
making someone take a quiz before they register on the forums will just keep people away.. I know that if had to take quiz before i could register would be pretty gay.

A much better idea is to just answer their thread and provide them with a link to the FAQ and tell them to read it next time before they post (Like thats gonna happen).

So you just admitted that your idea (which is the current way things work, which is why i created this thread in the first place) doesnt work.

Jaqui
09-29-2005, 03:51 PM
same old.
every community has the same problem.

on tech republic they have a TQ&A section for the questions to be asked.
the forums are for the general chat about different subjects / articles.
( webscripting and programming, windows, linux, security, ... )
the most common complaint, people asking tq&a questions in the discussion area.

they have given up on getting people to look to see if the question has been asked before.

( 2 questions in 2 days, command line tool to create pdf files from any input file, where to find it )

JaWiB
09-29-2005, 06:14 PM
How about putting some default text as the new thread message that says something like "Please check the forum FAQ and announcements, and search for an answer to your question before posting."

That way they have to delete the text before starting a new thread. Of course, some people would find ways to completely ignore anything we say...

Thantos
09-29-2005, 06:19 PM
I would be forced to kill someone if I had to delete text 4600+ times

JaWiB
09-29-2005, 06:21 PM
You've made that many threads? I'm not talking about posts, just creating new threads. I don't think it would be that much of a hassle, and maybe a deterrent to spamming the boards.

Thantos
09-29-2005, 06:28 PM
ah ok, but still I have over 200 threads so I'd get annoyed by that

mrafcho001
09-29-2005, 07:35 PM
So you just admitted that your idea (which is the current way things work, which is why i created this thread in the first place) doesnt work.
Yes i did.

But think about it. No one is gonna register if they have to take a quiz just to ask a question. It doesnt make sence, they'll just go to another board. I first registered here because i had a question that was probably already answered in the FAQ. But if there was a quiz or w/e i would've just gone to another board.

You might as well let them ask the questions that are already answered in the FAQ and get over it. Its not like its super anoying or anything.

nonpuz
09-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Yes i did.

But think about it. No one is gonna register if they have to take a quiz just to ask a question. It doesnt make sence, they'll just go to another board. I first registered here because i had a question that was probably already answered in the FAQ. But if there was a quiz or w/e i would've just gone to another board.

You might as well let them ask the questions that are already answered in the FAQ and get over it. Its not like its super anoying or anything.

Well I guess you're just a more tolerant person. I personally think it would improve the quality of the forums if there was some way to solve this problem.

This thread is going no-where, close?