PDA

View Full Version : IRC/Flood.c virus from instant messenger

lschmidt
09-26-2005, 10:09 AM
On our college campus there has been a nasty virus going around, which uses instant messenger to spread. It sends a message to the victims buddy list people saying something about pictures, when really it is an exe which gives you a trojan. Well my friend did it on my computer.

Norton/Mcaffee can't remove it automatically, and I've googled a ton to find manual removal instructions, but haven't found anything.

The virus is called IRC/Flood.c, which mcaffee detects, but cannot remove it.

Does anybody know how to get rid of this?

Thanks.

cboard_member
09-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Flamethrowers!!!!

7smurfs
09-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Try running Norton/McAffe in safe mode. If that doesn't work you can always format.

mrafcho001
09-26-2005, 03:49 PM
I once had i virus that i could not remove, but in safe mode it removed it just fine.

If that does work i believe you can run norton from DOS. Im not sure if it has the definition for it. If it doesnt then the next best thing you can do is back-up everying and format C:\

But Safe-Mode should work just fine.

kawk
09-26-2005, 04:44 PM
SEARCH->TheEXEFileName and then delete it. Then use regedit and SEARCH->IRC/FLOOD.c.
Then delete the registry key. That always works for me.

By the way, backing up will also back up the virus :p.

Queatrix
09-26-2005, 05:30 PM
By the way, backing up will also back up the virus

Not allways kawk.

The only time that happens is if you backup more than just you personal data, or if the virus programmer was dumb enough to make it go in your personal data.

bithub
09-26-2005, 05:31 PM
I see viruses that spread by tricking users into running an .exe file as a form of the Darwin effect. If you are stupid enough to run an .exe file from an email or an IM, then you will get viruses on your computer. You will then either learn to not open these .exe files, or you will get so frustrated you will stop using the computer entirely. Either way, it's natural selection at its finest.

kawk
09-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Not allways kawk.

The only time that happens is if you backup more than just you personal data, or if the virus programmer was dumb enough to make it go in your personal data.

Seems pretty smart to me :p

Queatrix
09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Seems pretty smart to me
Yeah!

The problem with that, is your data is where you are allways moving around files and deleteing files. So sooner or later the virus would be found. The norm won't even look in their system files.

mrafcho001
09-26-2005, 07:27 PM
I see viruses that spread by tricking users into running an .exe file as a form of the Darwin effect. If you are stupid enough to run an .exe file from an email or an IM, then you will get viruses on your computer. You will then either learn to not open these .exe files, or you will get so frustrated you will stop using the computer entirely. Either way, it's natural selection at its finest.

If you open .exe files like that, you deserve to get a virus.

jmd15
09-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Hey that's how I've always thought. My relatives are so uptight about viruses they have all this crap installed. One of the best anti-virus's is your brain. Think before you click.

Glirk Dient
09-27-2005, 10:58 AM
There are viruses out there that when you watch a movie it prompts your comp to dl what it thinks is an ActiveX control and says it's necessary to run the vid, so when you tell it to dl that control its got a trojan attached to it. Thank god for awsome AV.

B0bDole
09-27-2005, 01:07 PM
>when you watch a movie
And what kind of movie would that be??? HUH!?

kawk
09-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Well, I didn't see that coming. . . but I got a virus called Salem (Hmm . . .) that installed itself in a folder called C:\Temp. Or 180-Search Assistant, which requires you to be connected to the Internet to be UnInstalled. Well, what's that going to do?

mrafcho001
09-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Well, I didn't see that coming. . . but I got a virus called Salem (Hmm . . .) that installed itself in a folder called C:\Temp. Or 180-Search Assistant, which requires you to be connected to the Internet to be UnInstalled. Well, what's that going to do?

I believe Ad-Aware can remove teh 180-Search Assistant.

Back in the day when i wasnt so computer literate i had a whole crapload of tool bars, weather programs and other stuff that i just couldnt seem to get rid of. Ad-aware and Search and Destroy got rid of a lot of them, others they just get rid of the infected files. you have to remove the rests yourself.

Also it could be asking to connect to the internet to survey you.

kawk
09-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Hmphh. I deleted it manually, then a message box popped up next time I booted saying that another program had removed 180 Search Ass. and asked me if I wanted to reinstall it. So Norten removes it, and the hapless user clicks Uninstall, and then it gets reinstalled. and then Norten . . .

But I aggree. Ad - Aware is a great program.