PDA

View Full Version : Dev C++ takes 3 mins to reload a project

phil
09-01-2005, 06:13 AM
Hello
When I run Dev C++ and open a project it takes about 3 minutes to load. While it is loading the status bar shows,
parsing\ include\ headers.
Is it necessary for it to do this every time I open a new project. My projects are not very big at the moment, less than 2000 lines. My computer is a p2 233 getting old now I know but it is coping with my other computer needs at the moment.
Phil

Govtcheez
09-01-2005, 06:19 AM
Your P2 233 has been old for about 5 years. Seriously, upgrade.

phil
09-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Govtcheez
I know my computer is old. So why haven't I upgraded yet. Well I don't play games, apart from board games or cards online and they work just fine, don't watch films listen to music on my computer. I surf the net on broadband on this computer, no problems. Obviously I would like to have a new computer but until this computer becomes unusable for my needs I can't justify and don't see the need for a 500 investment. Still curious why dev C++ needs to parse all the headers every time, is that normal.
Phil

Snip
09-01-2005, 07:13 AM
Go to Tools => Editor Options => Class Browsing and disable "Scan global files referenced in include" (or disable Class Browsing completely). Maybe enabling "Use code-completion cache" (Class Browsing => Completion) also helps to shorten the loading time.

ober
09-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Software has gotten to the point where it needs a little power to do things like that. If it takes you that long to load the program, I'm curious as to how long it takes to compile a decent project.

Salem
09-01-2005, 07:23 AM
Tools->Editor options, class browsing tab.
Look at the options for caching etc, or consider turning off this rather expensive feature on such a low-spec machine.

Meh, beaten :)

phil
09-01-2005, 07:31 AM
I turned off "Scan global files referenced in inlude" same project now loads in 0.13 secs.

my projects compile in about 10-15 secs I can live with that.

Thank you for your help.
Phil

LiNeAr
09-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah...Dev C++ has been always acting weird. Sometimes when I try to open a project, Dev C++ just crashes, then I have to restart it...and usually do this about three times, until it opens. It is very unstable...and sometimes when I leave my project on, or when i am saving my project, it crashes as well. I have no clue why it does this, but oh well.