PDA

View Full Version : My problem with Java

skorman00
07-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Most people who claim to be Java experts are slightly pompous. Even the Sun docs have that sort of tone.

C/C++ documentation:
Here are all the tools we give you, this is what you can and cannot do. Use what bests fits your needs.

Java documentation:
This is how you solve this problem. Anything else is bad object oriented design.

Perspective
07-28-2005, 03:11 PM
>>C/C++ documentation:

huh? you mean C/C++ libraries have documentation? ..... ;)

Kleid-0
07-28-2005, 03:42 PM
This is how you solve this problem. Anything else is bad object oriented design. lol, that's a bunch of crazy talk! Take for example:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/index.html
And then click on one of the menu items, like AbstractButton. I don't see any filler "you've gotta do it this way or you suck" attitude. Perhaps you're talking about the tutorials?

I think you're getting withdrawals from C lol.

ILoveVectors
07-28-2005, 04:04 PM
c++ is all powerful, think it, create it.

i programmed a human brain(not an actual brain but
a piece of software to simulate) with the intelligence and
understanding of a college graduate. so ha.

skorman00
07-28-2005, 04:37 PM
I think you're getting withdrawals from C lol.

I think you're right =). And yes, I was talking more about their tutorials. Also anybody I ask advice from. I got over it though. Java and I are on speaking terms again, but C/C++ and I got back together and the relationship is much better now.....that's right, BOTH of them ;)

spoon_
07-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Most people who claim to be Java experts are slightly pompous. Even the Sun docs have that sort of tone.

C/C++ documentation:
Here are all the tools we give you, this is what you can and cannot do. Use what bests fits your needs.

Java documentation:
This is how you solve this problem. Anything else is bad object oriented design.

You're digging way to hard find some reason to "hate" Java. See, I've had quite a different experience than you. The Java API docs are extremely helpful. If you feel in any way troubled by the docs, maybe you missed the subtle joke that a few of the docs have.

All of the Java experts I've talked to (and I've talked to quite a few) are very friendly and definately not pompous. They all had the same viewpoint I have: Some languages do some things well, and some things bad. Use the best language for the specific task(s).

...and so I'm not labled an "enemy," I learned C way before I learned Java. My college teaches 3 classes strictly in Java, all the other classes use some other language that you have to learn on your own (usually C/C++). I prefer Java unless I'm doing *nix systems prorgramming.

skorman00
07-28-2005, 04:44 PM
hehe I don't hate Java, I was trying to keep a bit more of a joking attitude about it. Although I never quite caught the subtle joke you're talking about.

Kleid-0
07-28-2005, 05:25 PM
...but C/C++ and I got back together and the relationship is much better now.....that's right, BOTH of them ;) It's like smoking and drinking beer at the same time lol.

sand_man
07-28-2005, 05:27 PM
I think it is because Java is strictly OOP so the rules have to be enforced more maybe? C++ being far superior (:)) gives you the choice to do whatever the hell you want.

major_small
07-28-2005, 08:50 PM
with the intelligence and
understanding of a college graduate. so ha.oh, me too... look:

#include<iostream>

int main()
{
for(register double i=0;;i++)
{
std::cout<<i<<"\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b hours spent Idle: "<<std::flush;
}
return 0;
}

I'm currently trying to (re) learn Java for my new CS courses... I'm reading one of the books put out by Sun, and some things just don't seem to make sense - not that they're really bad, but I just like the way the're handled in other languages better...

dpro
07-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Lol

Yeah sometimes java has a weird way of doing things, but I think overall it is more intuitive if you want to get totally object oriented as opposed to the C++ style.