PDA

View Full Version : Depressed :(

endo
07-21-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm feeling sad. I graduated and never found that elusive entry-level programming job, they seem to be so rare in the UK. I have been stuck in a job for approaching 3 years and although I'm moving up its not really something I want to pursue so now I'm considering another career change and leaving IT behind!

Any suggestions for getting back into coding? I feel I need to complete a decent size program to use as an example of what I can do but I've been away so long now the C++ threads may as well be written in Russian! I considered getting a laptop, nothing special but a new toy dedicated to getting me back into it. I dont spend much time on my own machine anymore, so between my home, my work and my girlfriends place I might be able to get something done. Sounds like a reasonable idea?

Anyone got any other suggestions? :)

B0bDole
07-21-2005, 03:11 PM
my parents always said get an edumacashion then i cane do whatever i wan

kermit
07-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Have you considered joing up with a project at Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/people/)? I know its all for free, and depending on the project, it may or may not be organised in a decent fashion, but it might be the motivation and challenge you are looking for.

Zach L.
07-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Any passions that you've put aside?

nickname_changed
07-21-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm feeling sad. I graduated and never found that elusive entry-level programming job, they seem to be so rare in the UK. I have been stuck in a job for approaching 3 years and although I'm moving up its not really something I want to pursue so now I'm considering another career change and leaving IT behind!

Any suggestions for getting back into coding? I feel I need to complete a decent size program to use as an example of what I can do but I've been away so long now the C++ threads may as well be written in Russian! I considered getting a laptop, nothing special but a new toy dedicated to getting me back into it. I dont spend much time on my own machine anymore, so between my home, my work and my girlfriends place I might be able to get something done. Sounds like a reasonable idea?

Anyone got any other suggestions? :)

Learn C#. Work for a bank in the UK. Lots of $$.

mrafcho001
07-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Learn C#. Work for a bank in the UK. Lots of $$.
and then when no one is watching and they are changing the tapes for the cameras stuff your packets and leaver early from work ;)

Kleid-0
07-21-2005, 10:56 PM
and then when no one is watching and they are changing the tapes for the cameras stuff your packets and leaver early from work ;) Or you can do what they did in Office Space and install a program that sends the rounded-off pennies to your bank account :]

prog-bman
07-22-2005, 12:13 AM
Or you could show people your "O" face for money!

mrafcho001
07-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Or you can do what they did in Office Space and install a program that sends the rounded-off pennies to your bank account :]

And steal the printer that ........es you off all the time ;)

jverkoey
07-22-2005, 09:20 AM
And then not show up to work ever....and get a promotion.

mrafcho001
07-22-2005, 09:39 AM
dont forget to get a foregner and a nerd involved too, so then when you check the account balance you all can be cursing in the car
God i love that movie