PDA

View Full Version : Lack O' Inspiration

cboard_member
07-15-2005, 07:59 AM
I remember what it was like, those long nights, learning how to program. Those were the days.

Guys, I need your help / advice. Lately, I'm totally uninspired when it comes to programming, and I haven't had a problem I can solve recently either. I just can't think of anything to do. I guess I could start learning more about the STL, but I also really just want something to do that I havn't done before.

Any help / advice / comforting / slaps etc welcome as always :(

LOL look what I just found - the video near the top of the page:

http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/W-P/win32/article.php/c1443/

major_small
07-15-2005, 08:03 AM
it happens to all of us... until you get a job... then you have stuff to do, you just won't want to do it :p

cboard_member
07-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Lol, well jobs around here a pretty scarce which is a pain Anyway, I havn't got the qualifications to do what i'd like to do...

Govtcheez
07-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Why don't you give another language a shot for a little while? It'll be a new experience, it'll expand your knowledge base, and maybe inspire you to do come more C++ stuff

cboard_member
07-15-2005, 08:35 AM
That's an idea - any suggestions? I've been around different languages for a while so there's a chance there won't be many other ones, but I guess there is. I could look into Ada if there was a decent compiler for Win32. Actually, I've got linux somewhere so I might install that.

VOX
07-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Why don't you do something few people are able to do well, learn a library like directx or opengl, and use them to not make games, but in more purposeful ways, such as physics or mapping the future based on facts from today. (ie weather, stars, etc)

Govtcheez
07-15-2005, 09:07 AM
While you're busy breaking the other laws of physics how about you create a way to power my car on a car of diet coke, too!

cboard_member
07-15-2005, 09:09 AM
That's a good idea. I'll look into it i've always been curious about directx / opengl. I had a little 'episode' where I was interested in writing games.

cboard_member
07-15-2005, 09:11 AM
While you're busy breaking the other laws of physics how about you create a way to power my car on a car of diet coke, too!

You know I would 'n all, but I just won't have the time. Breaking laws of physics is very involved :D.

I think it would be more productive to have cars running on human waste. The govornment would think so...

ober
07-15-2005, 09:18 AM
So you want to pull another car with your car... only the second car would be full of diet coke, and power the first one? I always knew it tasted funny.

cboard_member
07-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Grr. Damn the lack of good opengl tutorials.

cboard_member
07-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Ok, now this is annoying beyond belief. I just sat down and have found an opengl tutorial. I need to include the following headers: gl\gl.h and gl\glu.h

Here's my code so far:

#include <gl\gl.h>
#include <gl\glu.h>

int WinMain (HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd)
{
return 0;
}

Now I know it has nothing to do with lib files as my directories are set up properly, I just checked them. Here's the error:

--------------------Configuration: gl - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
main.cpp
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\gl\gl.h(1152) : error C2144: syntax error : missing ';' before type 'void'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\gl\gl.h(1152) : error C2501: 'WINGDIAPI' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\gl\gl.h(1152) : fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found
Error executing cl.exe.
gl.exe - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)

It's very bizzare to say the least. BTW I'm using VC++ 6

Perspective
07-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Grr. Damn the lack of good opengl tutorials.

you obviously missed http://nehe.gamedev.net ;)

oh, and if you want to play with a new language, use PYTHON!!! its the most programmer friendly language ive ever used. Very enjoyable.

cboard_member
07-15-2005, 09:47 AM
you obviously missed http://nehe.gamedev.net (http://nehe.gamedev.net/) ;)

oh, and if you want to play with a new language, use PYTHON!!! its the most programmer friendly language ive ever used. Very enjoyable.

Yes, yes I did.

I do remember enjoying Python, I havn't really used it recently maybe I should look it back up.

Fordy
07-15-2005, 09:48 AM
#include <windows.h>

Perspective
07-15-2005, 09:49 AM
#include <windows.h>

and be sure that comes before any other include statements.

cboard_member
07-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Yep I just moved it up and it worked. I also noticed I missed 'WINAPI' before WinMain.

ober
07-15-2005, 11:17 AM
You people are avoiding my thread derailment joke. Stop it.

cboard_member
07-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Lol. We try.

Oh yeah, I've just finished my first OpenGL program :D. It took me the best part of 2 hours, and it makes a 640x480 window, draw a triangle in the middle, a square next to it, colours them in, and spins the square around the triangle. I would definately say the source is well over 1000 lines. Ah I love OpenGl now.

Why don't you do something few people are able to do well, learn a library like directx or opengl, and use them to not make games, but in more purposeful ways, such as physics or mapping the future based on facts from today. (ie weather, stars, etc)

Believe it or not I'm actually going to look into that sounds different and quite interesting. If involves breaking the laws of physics, then so be it :D

kermit
07-15-2005, 04:24 PM
you obviously missed http://nehe.gamedev.net ;)

For sure - my main programming experience is with C, but I started learning Python, and I am quite impressed with the way it does things. Of course I am also learning Fortran 77, and I am having a tough time deciding which I like better.. ;)

j/k - I am weird, so I am learning Fortran.

Nazca
07-15-2005, 10:12 PM
If you're interested in a new language, have a look at Ruby...It's actually very similar to Python, I guess, but I happen to prefer Ruby.

cboard_member
07-16-2005, 01:54 AM
I started learning Ruby like a year ago - when I first used Linux. I even bought a book :D.

If I remember rightly I wrote a little CVS-esque file management system. It was just a bunch of scripts for searching, deleting and sorting files in a certain 'reserved' directory, but it helped me a lot with learning the language.

axon
07-17-2005, 09:51 AM
haven't this been covered many times before.

and, o yeah, ahluka, where the hell did you come from and why do you post so damn much - sheesh. ;)

cboard_member
07-17-2005, 09:54 AM
I don't think I post that much. I've nothing to proove (except maybe I have a lot of free time :D). I'm from South Wales, UK. Neath Port Talbot. Crynant. The Crescent. No, you can't have the house number, you perv :D

(joke)

*edit*
Oh you said where 'did' i come from? Mars of course.

What have I done? *puts gun to head*

Begone, this is not for your brains.

axon
07-17-2005, 10:07 AM
>>I don't think I post that much. I've nothing to proove (except maybe I have a lot of free time<<

you spam [almost] as much as Ober does on ES. :p

cboard_member
07-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Hey I almost take offense to that. Wait, no I don't, but if I get banned for spamming, well, just remember, I know roughly where you live... :p