PDA

View Full Version : VB compared to C++

C+noob
07-06-2005, 11:41 PM
i mean im gonna stick with C++ but Visual Basic?!?!? is there anything Visual Basic can do that C++ cant?

i heard Visual Basic lacks the flexibility of C++ that pretty much you can do anything your mind desires with C++ and not visual basic. Whats up with this?

adrianxw
07-07-2005, 01:43 AM
As usual, I'll make the point that they are not designed to do the same thing, therefore trying to compare them on a one v one basis is totally meaningless. :rolleyes:

major_small
07-07-2005, 01:46 AM
C++ allows more lower-level functions that does VB...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-level_programming_language

also: try writing a VB program that runs on linux.

nvoigt
07-07-2005, 04:41 AM
Is VB better ? No. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

VB is the dark side of the source.

Stoned_Coder
07-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Using VB is about as fun as masterbating with a cheese grater!

ober
07-07-2005, 08:34 AM
>>also: try writing a VB program that runs on linux.

Believe it or not, you can get some VB programs to work in a *nix environment.

And VB has it's place... it's the best language I know for creating a quick GUI with some functionality.

BobMcGee123
07-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Using VB is about as fun as masterbating with a cheese grater!

I resent this statement...I have a cheese grater fetish.

It entirely depends on what type of programming you want to do. You *can* accomplish anything in VB that you'd want to do including 3D graphics, but VB is better for quickly creating pretty applications without farkling around with arcane operating system code. Remember, you can compile VB apps into executables, so not everything has to be run interpreted, but whenever something is inefficient you cannot optimize it due to its high level nature. It also makes working with databases quite easy (I remember having to write SQL apps in high school as a part of the VB course there).

confuted
07-07-2005, 09:51 AM
>>also: try writing a VB program that runs on linux.

Believe it or not, you can get some VB programs to work in a *nix environment.
WINE is pretty clever, isn't it?

Terrance
07-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Is VB better ? No. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

VB is the dark side of the source.

Exactly, that's what vb does, that c++ doesn't.

Coding in MFC, .Net, writing link lists and binary trees are all great. I spent 750 class hours learning all of those things as well as coding up several real world projects in an intensive masters certificate course. Now, two years later, I have trouble writing a gui calculator in MFC/c++.

Now that I'm a junior in college, studying CIS, (couldn't take any real computer classes my frosh and soph year of college, except intro), I'm now opting to take my electives in VB, advanced VB, XML, and other web development languages. These languages aren't as powerful as c++, but at least I know I'll still be able to use them if I stray away from them for a couple of months.

But I def don't regret learning c++ first, just wish I could actually code a halfway decent program two years after learning it.

major_small
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
WINE is pretty clever, isn't it?I meant without external help... but now I'm wondering if ober meant it the way I did...

ober
07-09-2005, 10:34 PM
I meant without WINE. Certain VB apps can run in a *nix environment, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you that any small app could make the leap. Most require the VB runtime, which runs only under Windows.

major_small
07-09-2005, 10:42 PM
I meant without WINE. Certain VB apps can run in a *nix environment, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you that any small app could make the leap. Most require the VB runtime, which runs only under Windows.that's interesting... I never knew that before :D

ober
07-09-2005, 10:47 PM
You learn a lot when you spend a lot of time asking and answering questions on programming bulletin boards like this one.

nickname_changed
07-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Forgetting that it's not a great question to ask here considering the obvious bias towards C++ that you would expect at a C++ programming forum, the original poll question was "which is better in the long haul". If you are a young student and want a career as a programmer, I'd go C++.

C++ will teach you much more about the internals of programs and how things work at a lower level. I work as a C#/VB.NET developer, but every day I am thankful that I learnt C++ first, because it's given me an understanding that I wouldn't have if I had started with C#/VB.NET. That said, I haven't written a line of C++ in almost two years now, and I don't plan to.

I don't believe this is a question that deserves the stock standard "pick the right tool for the job" response. If he had asked which language would be best for writing a website and finishing it in less than a week, then this would be the correct answer. But I believe that in 20 years, you're much more likely to say "I'm glad I spent hours chasing that memory leak in C++ way back" than "I'm so glad I learnt how to concatenate strings in VB".

major_small
07-09-2005, 10:54 PM
You learn a lot when you spend a lot of time asking and answering questions on programming bulletin boards like this one.I have to say most of my initial knowledge of C/C++ came from these boards...

C+noob
07-11-2005, 04:10 AM
I have to say most of my initial knowledge of C/C++ came from these boards...

ditto... :p

C+noob
07-11-2005, 04:12 AM
Exactly, that's what vb does, that c++ doesn't.

Coding in MFC, .Net, writing link lists and binary trees are all great. I spent 750 class hours learning all of those things as well as coding up several real world projects in an intensive masters certificate course. Now, two years later, I have trouble writing a gui calculator in MFC/c++.

Now that I'm a junior in college, studying CIS, (couldn't take any real computer classes my frosh and soph year of college, except intro), I'm now opting to take my electives in VB, advanced VB, XML, and other web development languages. These languages aren't as powerful as c++, but at least I know I'll still be able to use them if I stray away from them for a couple of months.

But I def don't regret learning c++ first, just wish I could actually code a halfway decent program two years after learning it.

lol why take vcourses in college lol noone better for web scripting (PHP Javascript etc.) than moi :P unless its ASP cus i hate that ........

cboard_member
07-11-2005, 10:11 AM
I agree with quite a few of you here; C++ and VB are very different languages and each one should be used as appropriate. VB was my first language (well, BASIC is the language) followed - 18 months later - by C++.

90% of the programs I write now are in C++. I rarely use VB except to write GUI front-ends for programs I have written in other languages when I can't be arsed to write a GUI in MFC / win32api / gtk or whatever. :p

In my opinion it plain boils down to what your program is trying to acheive. :)

Fordy
07-12-2005, 03:31 PM
I dislike VB...but it does have it's strengths - it's simple to get an app going and it doesn't give you as much bother as C++.

This makes it good as a prototype tool. I'm writing a front end for a database right now. I decided to write it in VB first as I can fly through it and spot problems quickly (without having to also worry about my code).

Also, if I'm writing an activeX object in C++, I use VB to test it as it's simple to get going and doesn't distract me from the task at hand.

On the other hand I spent 2 years working for a firm that used a VB written front end to an Oracle DB, and that was awful - very slow, unresponsive and a total resource hog. Maybe this was due to the coding (AFAIK the service from the database was fine), but it was such a pig to use that it's made me sware of VB for full scale apps forever.

Frobozz
07-12-2005, 04:28 PM
i mean im gonna stick with C++ but Visual Basic?!?!? is there anything Visual Basic can do that C++ cant?
That would depend on which version you are talking about: version 6 or .NET. ;)

major_small
07-12-2005, 04:50 PM
That would depend on which version you are talking about: version 6 or .NET. ;)
not really... anything VB can do can be done in C++

note that it may be easier to do some things in VB, but AFAIK, there's nothing that can be done in VB that can't be done with C++.

C+noob
07-14-2005, 01:29 AM
lol thats great id rathr do everything manually i dont like things that do it for me. ex. my loadicon thingy in windows programming that post dev-cpp can auto-assign a icon but i wanna do it manually.