PDA

View Full Version : Is Programming Art?

major_small
07-06-2005, 12:03 AM
this is not one of those "is programming art or science" questions, because I think we can all agree that programming is science, but is it also art?

inspiration from this story (http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/06/30/artofprog.html) found on /. (http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/05/2158213&tid=156)

discuss. vote.

btw, I program and think like Paul Graham. I always thought that was very wrong... until I read that article... so :p to the rest of you :D

no-one
07-06-2005, 12:43 AM
where's the "who cares?, it is what it is." option?

JoshR
07-06-2005, 12:47 AM
My opinion is that anything that involves creativity is a form of art.

Glirk Dient
07-06-2005, 12:59 AM
I guess techically it can be considered art...but when my source code goes on display for it's "creativeness" then ill call it true art.

major_small
07-06-2005, 01:11 AM
where's the "who cares?, it is what it is." option?now if you really didn't care, would you really be reading this thread?

nickname_changed
07-06-2005, 01:48 AM
http://www.answers.com/art&r=67

A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
So yes, I think it is. My ex girlfriend (an art student) and I had a talk about it once. In the end it came down to "programming is a form of art to me", because I can look at code and see whether the design is beautiful. But I wouldn't consider it an art the same way as music or literature or sculpture, because to 99% of people it's not.

So if you think it's beautful, then it's art. That doesn't mean Dum Danny down the street has to call it art, and you can't force him to admit that it is. It's kinda like arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty - it depends on who's looking at it. So I think this poll would be better titled "do YOU see programming as an art form?".

nvoigt
07-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Programming is like painting. You can get a job done painting a wall or you can take some time and create beauty from an empty canvas. It's up to the skills and motives of the painter.

VOX
07-06-2005, 06:22 AM
The true, correct answer to the glass question depends on what made it its current state. If it was empty and filled half way up, it is half full. If it was full and someone drank half, it is half empty.

nvoigt
07-06-2005, 07:14 AM
The answer to the glass question from an economic point of view is simple: the glass is to large for its task, it needs to be downsized.

Felix
07-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Well no, I don't think so. Engineering isn't an art either. But I guess it also depends on the branch if programming, programming a game is pretty close to art, but programming an hex editor is far away from it. (If something as a hex editor even exists)

gcn_zelda
07-06-2005, 12:51 PM
I do believe that programming is an art. Art involves creativity, focus, the ability to place your thoughts on canvas, and math(look at a lot of da Vinci's works). Programming involves creativity - you need it to come up with what to do and how to do it, focus, the ability to turn your thoughts into code, and math.

nickname_changed
07-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Well no, I don't think so. Engineering isn't an art either. But I guess it also depends on the branch if programming, programming a game is pretty close to art, but programming an hex editor is far away from it. (If something as a hex editor even exists)
What if you write software to paint pretty pictures?

major_small
07-06-2005, 05:43 PM
What if you write software to paint pretty pictures?that raises another question: is computer-generated art really art? :p

C+noob
07-06-2005, 11:29 PM
i concur toward the fact that it is art, in a different form. depends i would call it visual art as it makes something visual lol and it requires creativity and knowledge. there are many different ways of coding like there is many different ways of painting

no-one
07-07-2005, 12:39 AM
>now if you really didn't care, would you really be reading this thread?

im a trolling ..............?