PDA

View Full Version : Free Web Hosting

jverkoey
05-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone,

I am now offering a beta test of my free webhosting at TheJeffFiles. Included in my hosting are two solutions: the Standard and Light solutions. Each solution is completely free and offers you a wide variety of options, including unlimited emails (yourEmail@TheJeffFiles.com), a free subdomain at TheJeffFiles (yourDomain.TheJeffFiles.com), and a web-based file manager to organize your website.

The difference between the two packages is the size. The Standard package is for the user who needs that extra bit of space for media and large boards, while the Light package is aimed at beginning web developers who only need a small amount of space.

Please note that currently the hosting solution is in the beta phase, meaning it's still under construction and will be improved dramatically over the coming days/weeks.

There are only 100 packages open for beta testing, so if you would like to sign up, now is the time to do so before they run out!

Visit http://thejefffiles.com/hosting.php to sign up for a hosting solution.

-Thank you

cgod
06-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Thanks, I just signed up very fast and professional.
Just wondering but are you going to add in more "advanced" features such as MSQL?

nickname_changed
06-10-2005, 02:08 AM
Jeff, may I ask why exactly you are offering free hosting?

Edit: I'm certainly not saying its a silly idea or anything, in fact its very nice of you, I just wondered why.

SMurf
06-10-2005, 05:22 AM
So that he can invade peoples' privacy and sell you on to spammers, perhaps? :p

Or maybe he's just got a ton of bandwidth to play with and no content of his own, I dunno... :rolleyes:

mrafcho001
06-10-2005, 07:04 AM
Thanks,

Does It support FTP access?

jverkoey
06-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Well, my web host, Powweb, just bumped up my webspace to 5 gigs....for free. This is a lot considering I started with them last year and they only gave a Gig of space, and I'm still only paying 7.77 a month. It's an amazing host, so I figured I'd take advantage of all this extra space and unlimited bandwidth I have, and let others use it.

And no, at the point, FTP and sql access aren't going to be allowed. I'm going to have to figure out a clever way of doing both as I don't want anyone compromising my site.

pianorain
06-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Hey, thanks Jeff. That's pretty awesome of you. rep++

jverkoey
06-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Oh, another thing, once I get time (which seems to be a recurring statement for me these days) I'm going to add the rest of the features that I originally planned:

Web-based editor, kind of similar to the way cboard can modify its posts.
Email creating script so you can apply for new emails
Possible ftp access....If I can figure out a way to do it

And also, I need to figure out a secure way to make php and sql work on the individual domains so that the scripts can't access other domains, but so far that's not really working. Thus the reason I'm leaving php out for a little bit.

ober
06-10-2005, 09:36 AM
If you have cpanel, setting up FTP accounts should be a snap.

Govtcheez
06-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Are there any restrctions on what we may or may not upload?

ober
06-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Pr0n is OK ;)

pianorain
06-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Pr0n is OK ;)Good to hear...I've already started uploading some choice pix.

jverkoey
06-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Only filetype restrictions, I don't care what you put on the site, just don't abuse it or I'll have to stop offering the space.

Magos
06-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Very nice.
I signed up, uploaded a dummy index.html but http://Magos.TheJeffFiles.com won't take me to it... (it's not the caps, tried it)

jverkoey
06-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Hmm...that would be a bug. I shall fix that. Thanks.

-edit-
Your folder has been fixed now to fix the source.

-edit 2-
Fixed.

Yoshi
06-13-2005, 02:09 PM
nethernomad is me, and /hellhole/ is my playground.

Jez
06-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Thanks Jeff!

It's perfect for my life program.

You're a Star!

major_small
06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Only filetype restrictions, I don't care what you put on the site, just don't abuse it or I'll have to stop offering the space.
no "nothing illegal" statements ;)

pianorain
06-14-2005, 01:39 PM
I think illegal things would constitute an abuse of the space, and then Jeff would have to wield the script of Smiting.

jverkoey
06-14-2005, 01:48 PM
I think illegal things would constitute an abuse of the space, and then Jeff would have to wield the script of Smiting.

Yup, that script's just itching on my harddrive to start working. Don't make me open a can o' whoopass on y'all.

pianorain
06-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Jeff, I'm not really in any position to make requests (seeing as it's free), but is there any chance we could get a "move" option on files and folders? It'd be a whole lot easier to move a folder of stuff from one subdirectory to another than it is to save a subdirectory to disk, delete it, create a new one, and then re-upload everything.

[edit] While I'm nitpicking, any chance we could sort files by filename or something instead of "order uploaded"? Nice job on the Edit command.

jverkoey
06-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Yah sure, I'm always looking for more ideas to put in to it, seeing as the whole thing's in its infancy. I'll work on that right now.

jverkoey
06-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Sorting's in. It also sorts folders first, and then files, alphabetically.

pianorain
06-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Awesome. Thanks a lot, Jeff.

jverkoey
06-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Alright, moving and renaming are also now working and neither of them require you to go to a different screen (I used a cool little trick with javascript and divs).

pianorain
06-15-2005, 08:19 AM
That's good stuff. Creating a subdirectory no longer works, though. Trying to create a subdirectory in another subdirectory actually creates a subdirectory in root. Example:
Website has foo directory.
I try to create a bar directory in the foo directory.
Instead of having /foo/bar, the created directory is actually /foobar

[edit]I can get around that bit by adding a / to the dir parameter in the url. However, that messes with the "up a directory" function a bit. Also, the rename command looks like it's affected by the same bug.

Also, can we get some simple "Are you sure?" thing on the delete command? I'd hate to delete something instead of renaming it.

Jeff will soon hate me. >=)

jverkoey
06-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Hmm....on it.

jverkoey
06-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Fixed.

-edit-
Added a delete button that you have to click now to verify the deletion.

pianorain
06-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Sweet. Thanks again, Jeff.

jverkoey
06-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Bah, it appears IE really screws up my code a lot.....stupid internet explorer. Anyways, I can't seem to figure out why the divs aren't being set to zero size on IE....it seems that IE's just going ahead and giving them a size anyway. Anyone know of a way around this so that the files aren't all bloated in the table and such?

ober
06-15-2005, 11:43 AM
linky?

jverkoey
06-15-2005, 12:04 PM
doobeedoo.

SMurf
06-15-2005, 12:49 PM
It is suggested to use Firefox for TheJeffFiles.com webhosting.
Is that your way of saying "If this doesn't work on IE you're gay?" :p

pianorain
06-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Bah, it appears IE really screws up my code a lot.....stupid internet explorer.Wow...I was going to quietly blame you for the massive waste of space, but now that I know it's my browser...

ober
06-15-2005, 01:21 PM
I'd rather look at the source code... it's kinda hard for me to tell you how to fix it from a pic.

jverkoey
06-15-2005, 02:18 PM
http://thejefffiles.com/layout.css

^^^ CSS

And introducing...html in C++ because the board won't let you upload html files either!

Wow...I was going to quietly blame you for the massive waste of space, but now that I know it's my browser...
I'm not that evil...

jverkoey
06-21-2005, 02:23 AM
I've bumped up hosting to 50 megs per user now, just so you know.