PDA

View Full Version : Mars traffic jam.

adrianxw
05-20-2005, 01:14 PM
This (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4565401.stm) is just so cool.

pianorain
05-20-2005, 01:43 PM
I agree with the sentiments of this /.'er.
Amazing...we send probes all the way to Mars so that they can photograph...each other.

major_small
05-20-2005, 08:40 PM
heh... yeah... same here... I saw it on /. and agree with that user...

adrianxw
05-21-2005, 03:36 AM
>>> Amazing...we send probes all the way to Mars so that they can photograph...each other.

What that proves is the ability to photograph a moving object, (moving at 7000 miles an hour), from another moving object, (also moving at 7000 miles an hour), at a range of over 60 miles, with a field of view at that range of ~800 yards, and the potential applications of such abilities was totally above the comprehension level of that individual, and it would seem, some members here.

major_small
05-21-2005, 08:46 PM
eh, it doesn't seem that hard to me, seeing as they knew where each object was and would be... it's just some simple physics...

if it was something spontaneous that they had to quickly calculate, I would be more impressed, but with computing technology these days, it's just not a big deal...

adrianxw
05-22-2005, 01:25 PM
With the time delays in transmission, the simple electronics onboard, no ground based tracking and the lack of an accurate positioning infrastructure, the fact that they knew where all of the machines were to any kind of accuracy at all is more then enough cause to celebrate the achievment.