PDA

View Full Version : The countdown has begun (StarWars)

Magos
05-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Just watched some StarWars movies again. Preparations for eopisode III perhaps, I dunno... :P.

Anyway, there are three things that are bugging me (from ep II mainly), perhaps someone here is a hardcore StarWars fan with all the answers.

1) Jango Fett was the "host" for the clone army that was created for the republic, however he was fighting on the other side. Why be the host then? Seems stupid to be responsible for creating an army for the enemy!

2) Count Dooku/Darth Tyranos is leading the war against the republic and tells about the Sith infuencing the council and how he must be removed. The Sith is obviously Darth Sidious/Palpatine that he works for, but why organize a war against the republic if he's already the senator/emperor/whatever? Also, was Nute Gunray truly in belief working against the Sith or was this a lie from Dooku?

3) During Ep I & II (possibly III too) C3PO has been in contact with Obi-Wan, Anakin and been on Tatooine multiple times. However in Ep IV (the first movie) it seems he's never met Obi-Wan before, nor been on that planet. Getting a permanent amnesia in Ep III?

jverkoey
05-10-2005, 07:11 PM
*waves hand in front of your face*

It shall alllll be explained.

Govtcheez
05-10-2005, 07:46 PM
> It shall alllll be explained.

No, it won't. It'll be ignored.

MadCow257
05-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Speaking of Star Wars...http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7793319/

Glirk Dient
05-10-2005, 10:15 PM
w00t...I can't wait, I get to see it 2 days before it comes out.

Anyways, to answer some questions with my own assumptions. Here goes.

1. I am sure he was payed a lot and couldn't pass up those credits, as well as a safe place to live while he carried out his bounty hunter work.

2. I am not sure if dooku is sith. I think he believes the council is becoming corrupt in his eyes and he is going to try and forcibly change that.

3. Obi went from young guy, to really old hermit so there must have been many years where he had just forgot, but possibly we will see in this movie. Also possible the data was purposely removed so the droid wouldn't blab off about all of these events, which he does blab often.

nvoigt
05-10-2005, 10:34 PM
1) Jango Fett was the "host" for the clone army that was created for the republic, however he was fighting on the other side. Why be the host then? Seems stupid to be responsible for creating an army for the enemy!

To quote the Empire: "Bounty Hunters, we don't need their scum"

Neither Jango nor Boba ever took any sides. They were mercenaries, bounty hunters, killers for hire. They took money, not sides. Being the original copy of a clone army pays a lot I guess, even if you have to fight it ( which he might not have known at that point ).

2) Count Dooku/Darth Tyranos is leading the war against the republic and tells about the Sith infuencing the council and how he must be removed. The Sith is obviously Darth Sidious/Palpatine that he works for, but why organize a war against the republic if he's already the senator/emperor/whatever? Also, was Nute Gunray truly in belief working against the Sith or was this a lie from Dooku?

Palpatine is only a simple senator. When the seperatist movements and civil wars began, the senate voted for him a a strong leader to bring back law and order. They gave him absolute power. Palpatine's goal had always been absolute control and through the seperatist movement the senate gave control to him voluntarily. If you look at it this way, a strong seperatist movement as well as a strong army to defeat it later, though contradictory at first, is both in Palpatine's best interest on his way to dictatorship.

Note that probably both sides thought of themselves as the good guys. One side fighting a growing dictatorship, the other side restoring peace in a republic. The clone wars probably don't have a lot of bad guys safe for one, the intrigant head of it.

3) During Ep I & II (possibly III too) C3PO has been in contact with Obi-Wan, Anakin and been on Tatooine multiple times. However in Ep IV (the first movie) it seems he's never met Obi-Wan before, nor been on that planet. Getting a permanent amnesia in Ep III?

We will see, but it seems a reasonable assumption :)

DavidP
05-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Regarding the C3PO question, I am not completely sure, but I have heard that his memory gets erased sometime before Episode 4 begins.

Magos
05-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Regarding the C3PO question, I am not completely sure, but I have heard that his memory gets erased sometime before Episode 4 begins.

...or it's simply the fact that Ep 4 5 6 was made before 1 2 3 and Lucas didn't plan that detail very well :P.

Govtcheez
05-11-2005, 10:17 AM
...or it's simply the fact that Ep 4 5 6 was made before 1 2 3 and Lucas didn't plan that detail very well :P.
MIDICHLORIANS

joshdick
05-11-2005, 10:57 AM
MIDICHLORIANS

That was the single lamest thing in all of Star Wars. It was worse than having a young boy as hero, worse than the pseudo-romantic dialog between Annakin and Padame, worse than even *gasp* the dreaded Jar Jar Binks.

It's The Force for cryin' out loud! It's supposed to be mysterious and mystical and awesome. It's not supposed to show up in a frickin' blood test!

AHH!

moi
05-11-2005, 11:02 AM
>1) Jango Fett was the "host" for the clone army that was created for the republic, however he was fighting on the other side. Why be the host then? Seems stupid to be responsible for creating an army for the enemy!

I see little evidence that Jango Fett had much of a "side". He went wherever the money was.

> 2) Count Dooku/Darth Tyranos is leading the war against the republic and tells about the Sith infuencing the council and how he must be removed. The Sith is obviously Darth Sidious/Palpatine that he works for, but why organize a war against the republic if he's already the senator/emperor/whatever? Also, was Nute Gunray truly in belief working against the Sith or was this a lie from Dooku?

Not sure on this one yet. We'll have to see what Ep3 does.

>3) During Ep I & II (possibly III too) C3PO has been in contact with Obi-Wan, Anakin and been on Tatooine multiple times. However in Ep IV (the first movie) it seems he's never met Obi-Wan before, nor been on that planet. Getting a permanent amnesia in Ep III?

C3PO's memory is wiped before Ep4.

Govtcheez
05-11-2005, 11:12 AM
It's not supposed to show up in a frickin' blood test!
Doctor: "I'm sorry, you have the Dark Side."

IfYouSaySo
05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
I never watched episode 1,2. I found it funny that the light sabers were way cooler in 1 than they ever were in 4 (the double sided light saber I mean). It was clearly a case where better graphics were available now, and they used them, no matter how implausible they were in the story line.
I would have preferred to have gas powered light sabers with a pull start motor. Then there could be this great scene where a jedi light-saber fight is about to start. The first Jedi cant get his saber to start up. He's just pulling the start-cord, and the d*mn thing just won't start.
Meanwhile, the other jedi has the newer electric light saber, but he has to keep it plugged in, and so he wants to go over and kill the first Jedi, but the extension cord won't reach. So the first Jedi, starts apologizing for the delay, etc.

ober
05-12-2005, 06:17 AM
Sounds like a good parody. :)

Magos
05-12-2005, 07:29 AM
My memory draws to the StarCraft cutscene where Fenix (my avatar) battles a Hydralisk and his psi blades goes out...

joshdick
05-12-2005, 09:08 AM
I just don't get why people go and see Star Wars movies with a 'story' in mind, particularly given that Episode III's title contains possibly the most infantile anagram in the history of bad guy name anagrams. These are kiddie movies - and for this overgrown kiddie in particular it always has been and always will be about spectacular effects. But each to their own. :)

How about because they've got good stories? The plot in the Ep. I-III trilogy is actually quite good. There's conflict in many forms adding up richly into complicated entanglements leading to wars. Besides the galactic politics, there are personal stories that hold much promise as well. The forbidden love of Annakin and Padame and comic relief of the droids might be tired themes, but Annakin's fall from grace and Palpatine's rise to power are ripe for some good storytelling.

This trilogy's plot has a lot of promise; what it lacks is decent execution. The relationship of the young couple and comedy from Jar Jar and the droids are both marred by horrendous dialouge. Furthermore, much of the political intrigue isn't given enough time to grow so that more room can be made for CGI of spaceships.

Lucas could've done a lot more with his plot, but instead he opted to create formulaic blockbusters. Consequently, Episodes I and II met with critical opposition. Nothing's really stopping him from making Episode III good but his own urge to pander, however. From the reviews I've read so far, he's finally gotten back to the spirit of Star Wars. I hope that's true.