PDA

View Full Version : reputation where is it

xxxrugby
04-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Am I Blind Or I just cant see reputation squares.
I wanna see how musch bad points I have. How much red square do I have. And then nothing. It's gonne. Youhou.

Will it come back.

Welshy
04-19-2005, 02:59 PM
The announcement can be found here:link (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/announcement.php?f=10&announcementid=59)

As for whether it comes back i dont know, i rather liked seeing my single green square ;)

axon
04-19-2005, 03:13 PM
but I guess Kermi didn't learn yet that announcements just don't work. Without the above link I would never know about it. It has been posted since yesterday and only 40-some views. Things like that need to be in a thread - or the annoucement has to be modified to be more visible.

Brain Cell
04-19-2005, 03:25 PM
oh come on !! what were those "senior members" thinking? If they think that reputation is pointless , then leaving it won't hurt. If someone has a problem with it ; he\she could disable it from his User CP (just like those "numerous senior board members").

how about you start a poll about disabling the reputation system permanently kermi3? this board isn't for senior members only y'know :).

axon
04-19-2005, 03:33 PM
oh come on !! what were those "senior members" thinking? If they think that reputation is pointless , then leaving it won't hurt. If someone has a problem with it ; he\she could disable it from his User CP (just like those "numerous senior board members").

disabling the rep on individual basis makes no sense - the people with negative reps would simply turn it off, and you wouldn't get any feedback simply from seeing a black square.

how about you start a poll about disabling the reputation system permanently kermi3? this board isn't for senior members only y'know :).

you're right, but a public poll about reputation would be unreliable; people would not be able to vote objectively. Again, those with negative reputations, would surely vote against the system...the senior members had rather a lengthy discussion on the topic as well as a poll; the poll, pretty heavely, went against the rep system - so the admins decided to suspend it for a trial, until they figure out what to do permanently.

kermi3
04-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Brain Cell - Discussion will be reopened in a month. We wanted to give people a chance to see the board both with and without rep. After the month is over, all possible options will be discussed and a descision will be made. A vote is a possibility.

xxxrugby
04-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Again, those with negative reputations, would surely vote against the system...
I have negative reputation. And I will vote for it. Why. Beacuse first I have sow some post and make answer but then I get many back messages that I am using some wrong comands. And I havent thaking wory about it. But when bad post's comming to me and square become red. Then I was warryed about it. I stop spaming board (now I look at my code first if I post something).

Sang-drax
04-19-2005, 03:56 PM
but I guess Kermi didn't learn yet that announcements just don't work.
It depends on the message.
The announcement "you have 30 days..." got noticed. :)

Brain Cell
04-19-2005, 04:44 PM
disabling the rep on individual basis makes no sense - the people with negative reps would simply turn it off, and you wouldn't get any feedback simply from seeing a black square. cgod didn't , xxxrugby didn't, klied0 didn't and many more members with red squares (sorry guys but i had to give examples). If thats really bothering you , then isn't it possible to disable the "disable reputation" option?

Again, those with negative reputations, would surely vote against the system.Not neccessarily. xxxrugby just told you he wouldn't. And whats wrong with that anyway? they choose whatever they feel like choosing.

the senior members had rather a lengthy discussion on the topic as well as a poll;I didn't notice one. Where did it happen?

the poll, pretty heavely, went against the rep systemthere are 14,000+ members on the cboard , lets say 500 of them are active. How many members participated in that poll?

VirtualAce
04-19-2005, 04:46 PM
oh come on !! what were those "senior members" thinking?

You talking about us? Well we were thinking it is a stupid system. It can be abused and misused to easily. Besides what does rep even mean and why should you care. If you ask me a question and I respond with an answer and you try it and it works, then you know you can trust what I say.

The rep system, IMO, just makes the senior members look more 'senior'. Look at the ones who have all the rep and look at the one's who don't. Now go figure.

kermi3
04-19-2005, 04:47 PM
"Where did it happen?"

It happened largely over PM, IM, e-mail etc. We use "conversation" in the board term not the literal one. Again this is a trial

PJYelton
04-19-2005, 04:58 PM
cgod didn't , xxxrugby didn't, klied0 didn't and many more members with red squares (sorry guys but i had to give examples). If thats really bothering you , then isn't it possible to disable the "disable reputation" option?Its also very possible they didn't even know they could, since after all it was only an option for a couple of days recently.
there are 14,000+ members on the cboard , lets say 500 of them are active. How many members participated in that poll?If you are so worked up about it, then why don't YOU start a poll? I don't think it should change the one month trial period, but I think a poll now and a poll in a month would be a useful before and after snapshot of how the board views reputation.

B0bDole
04-19-2005, 05:02 PM
I was here in 2001 under a different name, way before all this reputation hoopla. Reputation is stupid, you can know if you want to listen to someone or not by reading their posts. DUH

Govtcheez
04-19-2005, 05:18 PM
> The announcement "you have 30 days..." got noticed.

I know you're teasing, but there was only like 1 sticky/announcement at FD besides that one. Altogether there are 8 stickies and announcements on this board. Maybe they should be consolidated or eliminated.

> Beacuse first I have sow some post and make answer but then I get many back messages that I am using some wrong comands.

If you don't know the answer, why the hell are you answering?

Lithorien
04-19-2005, 05:26 PM
If you ask me a question and I respond with an answer and you try it and it works, then you know you can trust what I say.

char *temp = new char[1024000];

std::cin >> temp;

std::cout << temp;
return(0);

That code works, but I sure as heck don't want to be responsible for the memory leaks.

Govtcheez
04-19-2005, 05:28 PM
You don't think someone else would jump in and say that was a bad reply?

You people are acting like this board didn't work before rep was around.

Brain Cell
04-19-2005, 05:30 PM
It happened largely over PM, IM, e-mail etc. We use "conversation" in the board term not the literal one. Again this is a trialoh. I thought i missed a thread when axon said "a discussion as well as a poll".

I don't really care much about removing the reputation system. All i was saying is that it should be discussed publicly , here in general chat , and see what other members think about it (in my opinion). :)

GanglyLamb
04-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Ive found the whole reputation system actually only something where ppl would argue about , wether he deserved the negative rep or not and so on and on....

Cboard didnt used to have this reputation points system before and things were working fine back then. When they introduced these reputation points ppl started nagging like " Why did i got negative rep for this .??? " and so on...

Imho it has nothing but absolutely no contribution whatsoever to the board or the "integrity" of the board.

It even has nasty side-effects , ppl starting to give neg rep for fun and others pos rep for fun, it has brought division ( - looking for this word but cant find it ) , stupid threads, ppl spraying others with neg rep or pos rep just for fun of it ( while other ppl sometimes take this as a serious matter ).

Im glad the rep system is gone - supposing it was trusthworthy ( as in someone with a good rep would be a very positive addition to the board ) then it would be a good thing, but when i think of all the abuses of it since it has been around I totally agree with this decision.

About the poll: as said before it wont do anything as well... a poll is also not really a guideline to what the majority of the board thinks - since like also said before not every member is an active member.

Anyway we will see what the future brings :)

-Ganglylamb.

B0bDole
04-19-2005, 05:56 PM
>You people are acting like this board didn't work before rep was around.

exactly, after five mins on this board you can tell who the freaking asshats are.

Lithorien
04-19-2005, 07:09 PM
You don't think someone else would jump in and say that was a bad reply?

You people are acting like this board didn't work before rep was around.

I'm not for or against rep. I just wanted to correct that comment.

Govtcheez
04-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Fair enough. What do you think about what I said, though? I think the board is kind of self-regulating in that regard.

Lithorien
04-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Fair enough. What do you think about what I said, though? I think the board is kind of self-regulating in that regard.

You're right. Most of the time when I screw up, another member is right there to say "Hey, that's wrong, you should do X."

So rep really isn't needed.

xxxrugby
04-20-2005, 10:37 AM
> > Beacuse first I have sow some post and make answer but then I get many back messages that I am using some wrong comands.

If you don't know the answer, why the hell are you answering?
Becouse I havent heard for commands like fgets and so on. I use insted gets.... The program works but then senior members get me to FAQ.
Well first I dont want to boether with fgets and so on. But when I sow that beacuse of thet bad post's commin to town. I throw away that commands.

Darkness
04-20-2005, 11:42 AM
This is like politics except online and almost as pointless.

I want to declare war on somebody. Probably axon. Better hide your oil axon.

axon
04-20-2005, 11:47 AM
This is like politics except online and almost as pointless.

I want to declare war on somebody. Probably axon. Better hide your oil axon.

hehe...pretty funny (you know that I would give you some green candy for that one :) )

my overall infrastructure is crap anywyas, so why don't you bomb the hell out of whatever you see, and then rebuild everything with your taxpayers' money, and then just leave me be?

Govtcheez
04-20-2005, 11:58 AM
> But when I sow that beacuse of thet bed post's commin to town. I throw away that commands

I know English isn't your first language, but... what?

Darkness
04-20-2005, 12:20 PM
hehe...pretty funny (you know that I would give you some green candy for that one :) )

my overall infrastructure is crap anywyas, so why don't you bomb the hell out of whatever you see, and then rebuild everything with your taxpayers' money, and then just leave me be?

*touches leg*

joshdick
04-20-2005, 02:31 PM
It can be abused and misused to easily. Besides what does rep even mean and why should you care. If you ask me a question and I respond with an answer and you try it and it works, then you know you can trust what I say.

The rep system, IMO, just makes the senior members look more 'senior'. Look at the ones who have all the rep and look at the one's who don't. Now go figure.

one 1