PDA

View Full Version : If you hate Alt-tab or the taskbar...

nickname_changed
04-12-2005, 05:43 AM
Then this is a fantastic tool: http://www.otakusoftware.com/download/

It uses directX. When you move your mouse to the bottom right corner of the screen, it zooms out to show all your open windows. Incredibly fast and also incredibly cheap, this is one software package I'll definately be paying for when the trial expires!

Govtcheez
04-12-2005, 05:56 AM
Is there any reason to use that if I don't mind alt-tab? I mean, it's only 2 keys.

sand_man
04-12-2005, 06:04 AM
I have to say I'm pretty happy with alt+tab. Infact the only time I use it is if i need to minimize a full screen app.

nickname_changed
04-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Yeah it's only two keys. Unless you have 6 windows open, then it can be 7 keys. I like this app because its a quick mouse movement or one key (F9) and you can use up/down/left/right/tab to select the window. Personally I've found it quite handy and it's made me much more productive, so I thought someone here might find it useful.

MadCow257
04-12-2005, 06:09 AM
I've always thought alt-tab was sufficient, and with the alt-tab powertoy I'm completely satisfied now :)

EDIT

Yeah it's only two keys. Unless you have 6 windows open, then it can be 7 keys.

Or it you can do two keys and one mouse click.

joshdick
04-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Apple's Expose uses the function keys, so that's only one key. Plus, it's just got better functionality overall. I'm not a Mac zealot myself, but I have to admit that I really like this feature.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/

ober
04-12-2005, 07:36 AM
I can switch between programs faster with alt-tab than I could move the mouse to a region of the screen and click on something.

joshdick
04-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Perhaps not for large numbers of windows.

Also, I think it's nicer to the user to show them precisely what their windows look like rather than just showing them an icon and a title of questionable helpfullness. I forget which IM client it was, but when I tried to alt-tab between the different messaging windows, they all had my screenname in the window titles instead of the people I was talking to :rolleyes:

I'm not saying we should abolish the alt-tab feature. I just think adding Expose's functionality would be nice.

PING
04-12-2005, 09:24 AM
if you really hate alt+tab, id say that you use this software called "strokeit"..it works on mouse gestures like the ones we have in opera..this has gestures to emulate alt+tab, ctrl+s, ctrl+n etc,etc..this thing can minimize all open windows or maximize all closed ones on the taskbar...
btw, heres the link to it..
http://www.download.com/StrokeIt/3000-2094_4-10258194.html?tag=lst-0-1

dwks
07-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah it's only two keys. Unless you have 6 windows open, then it can be 7 keys.
Hold down Shift while alt-tabbing to scroll backwards through the list of open windows. Very usefull.

major_small
07-05-2005, 08:35 PM
I'll stick with alt+tab... it works on windows and KDE :P

nickname_changed
07-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Hold down Shift while alt-tabbing to scroll backwards through the list of open windows. Very usefull.

You bumbed a 3 month old thread for that?

You can also do Ctrl-Tab/Ctrl-Shift-Tab to scroll windows in an MDI window (ie Firefox's tabbed browsing).

Glirk Dient
07-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Or you can manage what your doing...at least I can so the most I have open is 2 windows(one being a game dling content...other is browser while I wait for the dumb dl to finish).

nickname_changed
07-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Some of us actually do stuff with our computers (other than play CS and watch pr0n). I have about 7 windows in my taskbar at this moment.

major_small
07-05-2005, 10:05 PM
yeah... I have 5 right now... I almost always have at least two... at very least one...

jverkoey
07-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I usually have about 5 or 6 programs going when I'm web designing, 6-7 when I'm programming a game, and 4-5 open when I'm browsing the web, but I honestly find it faster to just move my mouse and click in one stroke to select the window. Moving to the corner, getting the thing to flash up and then moving again just seems like wasted movements to me.