PDA

View Full Version : Programmer (vs) Coder

Brain Cell
03-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Is there a difference between the two terms? dictionary.com shows them as synonyms , some other sites says that calling a programmer a "coder" is demeaning , because a programmer is usually more professional.

I see both as synonyms , because both "programming" and "coding" sounds exactly the same thing to me.

What do you guys think?

ober
03-24-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm the same.. I have no problem with either, but people normally call me a programmer, not a coder.

Actually, they usually say "he can do fancy **** with a computer", but that's besides the point.

Perspective
03-24-2005, 10:33 AM
They are the same in my book. "Programmer" and "Software Developer" are not though.... IMO Software Developer is involved in the design process while a Programmer simply implements what other teams might design.. Thats just my take on vocab though, there's not really a standard for this sort of thing.

Govtcheez
03-24-2005, 11:25 AM
> Thats just my take on vocab though, there's not really a standard for this sort of thing.

I've pretty much got the same thought as you - Software Developers/Engineers actually design programs, while the programmers write them.

ober
03-24-2005, 11:49 AM
So what are the people that design them and write them (me)?

Prelude
03-24-2005, 11:57 AM
>So what are the people that design them and write them (me)?
Hobbyists. ;)

Personally, I see them as all the same. If you say you're a "Software Architect", I just think "Programmer with a fancy title". Coder is more slang than anything from how I've seen it used, and I wouldn't use it in a professional environment.

p.s. I think of myself as a programmer, not a coder, code monkey, developer, enginer, or whatever else you can imagine. ;)

itsme86
03-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Overworked.

Haha?

InvariantLoop
03-24-2005, 12:53 PM
I think coder is used more around hackers and such, people that write hooks and cheats for different MP games. None of them calls themselves a programmer, so to them i guess its different.

ober
03-24-2005, 12:53 PM
>>Overworked.

You have no idea.

Perspective
03-24-2005, 01:06 PM

Thats what i consider software developer... where as programmer just programs and architect just designs... meh, like i said, everyone looks at it differently and you can't really judge a position by its title.

ps: me too :)

Govtcheez
03-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I'll call you "jackass", but I don't know what I'd call other people in your situation :p