PDA

View Full Version : Food you can't live without?

Zach L.
03-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Alright everyone, if you could name one food (let's leave drinks outta this one) that you could not live without, what'd it be, and why?

For me, it is definitely green chile. It is quite simply a wonderful food, and no salsa is complete without it, and no hamburger deserves to be eaten without it. (Incidentally, a friend informed me that there is a chemical in green chile which may be addictive... go figure.)

PJYelton
03-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Buffalo wings!! Greasy buffalo wings with so much hot sauce you need to fish for them. Mmmmmm..... drool.....

Brain Cell
03-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Difficult question ...

I'd say pizza , its dilicous and hard to resist. I'd love to eat it daily but its a bit expensive so i eat it like every 2 weeks or so :D. Thats the food i love.

The food i can't live without would be bread and cheese , because its the only thing i mostly find when im starving or when i wake up in the morning. And its the only food i always feel like eating when i'm hungry and can't find anything else to eat.

InvariantLoop
03-17-2005, 06:20 PM
bread, feta cheese, olives. perfect!

Magos
03-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Nothing like a Kebab Pizza when you get home on a friday evening.
Mmmmm, pizza [/homer]

IfYouSaySo
03-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but while I was trying to think of what food I couldn't live without, I was reminded of two life altering experiences in my childhood related to foods that I more or less will not touch to this day. Here they are:

I was a picky kid. Didn't eat many vegetables. Now I'm at Shakeys Pizza with my brother, mom, and her boyfriend of the time. He orders a pepperoni pizza for me and my bro, and a mushroom tomato for my mom & himself. They are talking away, and meanwhile my brother and I are eyeing the arcade games. So we ask for some quarters. It turns into this issue where we need to earn our quarters by eating a stack of 10 mushrooms per quarter. My brother ends up with like 6 quarters, and meanwhile I'm still trying to figure out how to eat one d*mn mushroom slice.

Story 2: I'm visiting my dad, and around 4pm he pulls my brother and I aside and says, "[Your stepmother] has worked very hard to find something that you kids will like, so I don't want you to hurt her feelings and not eat it." So dinner gets served later, and it's meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and ...PEAS! Needless to say I came close to puking, but was unable to force even one down. My brother was ........ed off because he played by the rules and ate all of em. I told my mom the story later, and she was like, "Yeah right she tried hard, if she was trying hard she would serve a hamburger and fries." So I think it was a set-up to get the kids to eat veggies. It was a failure. I will not eat peas to this day.

Maybe other people have similar funny life experiences?

The Brain
03-17-2005, 07:16 PM
does beer count as a food.... ??

gcn_zelda
03-17-2005, 07:18 PM
I can't live without those tiny carrots. I just love those cute little orange roots.

axon
03-17-2005, 08:18 PM
does beer count as a food.... ??

barley soup! :p I would say that for me as well :D

but all jokes aside, I love sushi and fish in general - there is nothing else in the world that good truly stand in its place.

Someone mentioned feta cheese: fresh baked bread; real butter; feta or other goat cheese; sliced fresh tomato; and finally pesto.....mmmmmmmmm I think I'll have some of that before I go to sleep tonite.

Brain Cell
03-17-2005, 08:36 PM
*feeling hungry*

i hate this thread :(

Zach L.
03-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Hmm...
Feta cheese, pita bread, olive oil, calamata olives...
*drools* :)

Govtcheez
03-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Buffalo wings!! Greasy buffalo wings with so much hot sauce you need to fish for them. Mmmmmm..... drool.....
does beer count as a food.... ??Damn you people for making me realize how long it's been since I've been to BW3.

Liger86
03-18-2005, 08:16 AM
I love that old russian red "Borsh", filled with potatoes and vegetables, glowing in a hot pot.

Thantos
03-18-2005, 08:28 AM
garlic, any style but raw.

Liger86
03-18-2005, 08:56 AM
garlic, any style but raw.

you can eat that with Borsh, because threre is virtually nothing you can't eat with Borsh.

Thantos
03-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Well garlic goes with everything, raw garlic is just really strong

PJYelton
03-18-2005, 11:28 AM
>>Damn you people for making me realize how long it's been since I've been to BW3<<

Ok, you got my curiosity, whats BW3?

IfYouSaySo
03-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Thantos: Have you roasted garlic in butter/olive oil on the BBQ? Very good...

Felix
03-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Chocolate.

Govtcheez
03-18-2005, 02:33 PM
>>Damn you people for making me realize how long it's been since I've been to BW3<<

Ok, you got my curiosity, whats BW3?
Buffalo Wild Wings. They're a chain of bars that serve kickass chicken wings in like 20 different flavors. Tuesdays they have wings for only 30 cents, so we always used to go there in college. I thought they were nationwide, but maybe they're just around here.

xxxrugby
03-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Let say. PIZZA.!!!

Darkness
03-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Zach specifically said 'leave beverages out' so I don't need to say I would terribly miss beer. On that note, I simply cannot live without tofu. Now, I know what you guys are thinking, 'normal people don't eat tofu, and it's gross, so nobody could realistically live without it.' I eat it on a daily basis, and at this point it actually tastes good to me. I've gotten so used to eating it that fried greasy food has completely lost its appeal. Also, I've gained about five pounds of muscle in the past four months by going to the gym consistently and eating lots of tofu.
The only downside is that it's relatively expensive.

EDIT:
and, for those of you who don't know what tofu tastes like, try eating a condom. You're probably wondering why I had a condom in my mouth, and I would like to say that there was nothing homosexual going on (not that I have anything against gays). I was drunk one night and thought it would be funny to take one of my room mate's condoms and try eating it. It's college, don't ask. And yes, I am probably going to go to hell for trying to eat a condom, but if not then I'm definitely going to hell for eating tofu.

PJYelton
03-18-2005, 05:52 PM
>>Buffalo Wild Wings. They're a chain of bars that serve kickass chicken wings in like 20 different flavors. Tuesdays they have wings for only 30 cents, so we always used to go there in college. I thought they were nationwide, but maybe they're just around here.<<

Never heard of them, I need to look out for it. When I was in Georgia I practically lived at Wing Zone and their 20+ flavors (mmmm..... hot garlic......) and when I moved out here I was sad because nobody served decent wings. But then HALLELUJAH I found a Wing Zone near my work!! I think I'll pick some up on my way home today :D

Thantos
03-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Thantos: Have you roasted garlic in butter/olive oil on the BBQ? Very good...

More then once :)

BMJ
03-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Chocolate.Specifically, Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate.

Felix
03-19-2005, 04:18 AM
Buffalo Wild Wings.
Isn't Buffalo a state in the US?

sand_man
03-19-2005, 04:55 AM
Veal parmigiana

axon
03-19-2005, 07:14 AM
Isn't Buffalo a state in the US?

no, it is a rather unatractive city in the state of New York - which I always tend to go through when going to New England :)

novacain
03-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Crustaceans and Cephalopods.
Steamed or fried (with lemon, garlic and chilli).

Luckily they can be caught easily round here and I have a freezer full.

Krak
03-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I cannot live without macaroni and cheese, nor can I live without Mountain Dew. Ever. At all. Period.:(

Sturmwaffle
03-20-2005, 03:12 AM
Most types of pie. Without pie, there is no reason to live.

sand_man
03-20-2005, 03:16 AM
mmmm I love apple pie with custard and hot caramel sauce

[edit]

HOMER: "Hey you got anything to drink in there?"
RUSSIAN DUDE: "Mountain Dew and crab juice"
HOMER: "EEWWWWW!!!! I'll take a crab juice"

biosninja
03-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Braaivleis!!! That is what makes our country quite unique. In American terms, I think you guys call it BBQ?

Liger86
03-22-2005, 10:37 AM
mmmm I love apple pie with custard and hot caramel sauce

[edit]

Taco Bell has a pie that is filled with carmel, it's good as hell. It comes hot (obviously) so you can only take a little bite at a time - it makes the pie last longer :p

Surfin_Bird
03-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Chicken ... I tried going vegetarian but it didnt work out that well ... and all because of chicken. grrr.

Welshy
03-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Specifically, Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate.
I'd have to agree with you there guys :p

axon
03-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Chicken ... I tried going vegetarian but it didnt work out that well ... and all because of chicken. grrr.

I recently gave up meat - I did it as an experiment on my self and for the durration of lent; so Ash Wednesday to this weekend, just about a month and a half. It's not that bad, and I mainly gave up red meat and chicken, but eat fish, eggs, milk, etc. etc.

Overall, I don't "miss" meat per se, but I sure as hell could go for a nice and bloody ribeye steak right about now...

some observations about this no meat diet: mt stomach has not hurt once through it all (usually I have an ache at least once every two weeks), I think I have some more energy as I need less sleep - which would make sense. What I'm taking from the experiance is that I dont "need" meat, but will eat it - just not in the same quantities I did in the past.

Scribbler
03-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Reese's Peanutbutter Cups. Hands down, a paragon of human innovation.

dpro
03-23-2005, 07:40 PM
I recently gave up meat - I did it as an experiment on my self and for the durration of lent; so Ash Wednesday to this weekend, just about a month and a half. It's not that bad, and I mainly gave up red meat and chicken, but eat fish, eggs, milk, etc. etc.

Overall, I don't "miss" meat per se, but I sure as hell could go for a nice and bloody ribeye steak right about now...

some observations about this no meat diet: mt stomach has not hurt once through it all (usually I have an ache at least once every two weeks), I think I have some more energy as I need less sleep - which would make sense. What I'm taking from the experiance is that I dont "need" meat, but will eat it - just not in the same quantities I did in the past.

Hmm interesting persepctive on things, I'd like to hear how things turn out on that "diet". Sounds overall not to bad, so a little report on things would be awesome... well for me anyway...