PDA

View Full Version : Imagine Cup 2005

jverkoey
03-15-2005, 01:12 AM
NOTE
This contest appears to have already started last year and I guess the registration date is also synonimous (spelling) with "end of first round" for some reason. Sorry 'bout that. Check out the following page for more information:
http://imagine.thespoke.net/registration/

I saw this over at GameTutorials.com (which, by the way, no longer offers free tutorials :mad: :mad: ) but it looks really awesome and I'm sure some people would be really interested in doing it? Maybe we could all pull together a cboard team with all our areas of expertise!

http://www.buzztone.com/imaginecup2005/static.asp?v=r

Got till April 1st to register teams.

Guidelines, from the site:

Show the world what you can do! Use both your design and coding skills to create amazing scenes that render on the fly using DX9 and Visual studio.

Get Free Software! (Everyone who competes)
Chance to go to Japan! (Finalists get a free trip)
1st place gets $8,000 (Maybe thatís you)

General Guidelines
Teams of up to 4 individuals
Theme: dissolving boundaries
Coolest real time rendering coded in DirectX9 and Visual Studio .NET
Up to 30 teams move on to second round
Winning team advances to awards ceremony in Japan

Deliverables
Round 1: Abstract and storyboard
Round 2: Real time rendering, project description and technical specification

Required Elements
Round 1: Abstract must be less than 500 words, in English. Storyboard must be less than 25 MB, in Microsoft PowerPoint or other standard image display format (jpeg, gif, etc)
Round 2: Submission package must be less than 150 MB, zipped. Documentation must be less than 5 pages in length, in English. Must use Visual Studio .NET and DirectX9

Judging Elements
Round 1: Review of Abstract/storyboard
50% Story idea (through abstract and storyboard)
50% Expressiveness/Artistry (storyboard)
Round 2: Review of rendering
30% Story idea
30% Impact of visual effects
20% Technical difficulty
20% Polish

Prize Amounts
First Place $8,000
Second Place $4,000
Third Place $3,000

Check 'er out, looks really interesting.

As for teams, I know 2 people who'd love to do it. One's my musician, the guy who makes all the music for my games, and another guy makes movies and is good at plot development and that stuff. I've got lots of programming experience and even if it's not directly DX-related, I could definitely help out quite a bit. I'm definitely looking at maybe Bubba or other DX Gurus here to join up?

MadCow257
03-15-2005, 07:24 AM
If no one else wants to help I would definitely be interested. I have 2.5 + years of c++ experience, as well as about 6 months of Direct3D programming. I also have 2+ years of experience making music with FL Studio. If someone better then me does want to help then I'm definitely going to be sending in some entries of my own :)

InvariantLoop
03-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Cprogramming definitely has some skilled members. I say you should join forces and get a team together, that would be awsome.

Darkness
03-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Just realize there are many middle-aged "amateurs" out there who can produce professional quality work. I suggest you go to gamedev.net and check out what some of the "amateurs" there can produce. Just trying to give you an idea of what you may be up against so you can make a realistic decision on whether you want to join the contest. Because the monetary benefit is so high, it will likely attract these types of "amateur professionals."

Perspective
03-15-2005, 10:21 AM
>>which, by the way, no longer offers free tutorials

Some of them are still free.. as they become "good" they get a $5 price tag. I was also very disapointed to see this.

*side note: whats funny is there is a 4 part octree tutorial. The first 3 cost $5 a piece but the last one is free... yet the last one contains everyting from the first three!

Darkness
03-15-2005, 11:09 AM
At one point I had all of the GameTuts downloaded into a folder on my computer so I would not have to continuously download from the site if I wanted to access some content or code. If I had saved them, and sold them at 1/5 the price of the gametuts site, well then I'd be rich!

Although I don't see why anybody would buy those in the first place, because none of it is content you can't find for free elsewhere. Friggin capitalists :)

Brain Cell
03-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Who said that "hello world" programs are worth nothing? (http://www.gametutorials.com/gtstore/pc-13-2-first-c-program.aspx)

InvariantLoop
03-15-2005, 12:44 PM
That aint right man, who buys that?