PDA

View Full Version : View .htm... code in IE or Opera or Firefox

xxxrugby
03-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Is there some software I thin plug-in for download what will do the next thing.
While I surfing the net and I find good page and I wanna see ther code .htm or .html or .php or.... code. And I simply in my browser go somwere and look at that page code in browser!
I've curently on my computer IE 6 and Opera!

pianorain
03-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Um...you mean View Source? I'm no connoisseur of browsers, but I'd expect all browsers to have that capability. IE 6 does.

ober
03-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Right click -> View Source

You do not need a plugin or anything. This functionality is built into all browsers.

You cannot view PHP code in the browser, that is stored on the server and is not downloaded with the rest of the source.

Govtcheez
03-08-2005, 02:48 PM
View-> Source in IE or Opera. Or, you could save the page to your disk and open it with a text editor.

xxxrugby
03-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks! This right click -> Source is great!
I am wondering now, how is that, that I aint seen it before. My Brain My Brain smashing my self in head!

ober
03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
:: clamps tongue ::

Sang-drax
03-08-2005, 04:13 PM
I have a weird problem that is related to this.. "view source" doesn't work!
Nothing happens when I click the menu item. Has anyone had this problem before?

Thantos
03-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Can you give an example of a page that does that Sang-drax? Also which browser. I have had it happen when the page was blank (literally blank)

major_small
03-08-2005, 07:56 PM
if it's a blank page it wouldn't show anything - it's like opening an empty .txt file... or a new thing I'm seeing is that people but a bunch of empty space at the top of their page so when people view the source they think they're seeing an empty document, when all the data is really way below the part they're looking at.

there are also ways that people can block your left-click, but they usually throw you an alert when they do so, and then going through the menu also works some time.

another way you can do it without actually executing the HTML (but the server will still know who requested it) is to open notepad, go to open a file, change files of type to all files, and then type in the full URL of the page you're trying to open in the section labeled file name.

this last way doesn't always work (for examle, if the requested page uses frames and blocks browsers not supporting frames).

again, this doesn't show the PHP, because only the server sees that - it never releases it to the public. AFAIK, there's no way to see the PHP code through an HTTP connection. you'd need to connect via FTP or something else.

InvariantLoop
03-08-2005, 08:04 PM
if it's a blank page it wouldn't show anything - it's like opening an empty .txt file... or a new thing I'm seeing is that people but a bunch of empty space at the top of their page so when people view the source they think they're seeing an empty document, when all the data is really way below the part they're looking at.

Wouldn't that create a scroll bar in notepad when you view the page? So when you scroll down you will see the content, right?

major_small
03-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Wouldn't that create a scroll bar in notepad when you view the page? So when you scroll down you will see the content, right?
yeah, but when you do it in a browser, you're used to seeing the vertical scroll bar because most pages you visit are longer than a screen's length, so you hardly notice it when you view the source through the browser.

anonytmouse
03-08-2005, 09:34 PM
I have a weird problem that is related to this.. "view source" doesn't work!
Nothing happens when I click the menu item. Has anyone had this problem before
If using IE, see this page (http://www.delphifaq.com/fq/q5021.shtml).

Sang-drax
03-09-2005, 05:23 AM
Can you give an example of a page that does that Sang-drax? Also which browser. I have had it happen when the page was blank (literally blank)
Every page (IE6)

If using IE, see this page.
Whohoo! Thanks :cool: :D
Stupid IE bug. :mad:

Thantos
03-09-2005, 07:09 AM
PSST iit was anonytmouse not me that gave you that link ;)