PDA

View Full Version : realplayer = virus

xddxogm3
03-03-2005, 10:39 PM
does anyone else feel like realplayer is a equivalent to a virus?
it trys to take over everything.
it tries to highjack your pc.
it causes my spyware remover software to go crazy.
it is a proprietary virus/spyware audio player all in one.
the people that wrote it should feel shame for it.
sorry to offend, but this is my opinion.

axon
03-03-2005, 11:26 PM
wow, I actually agree with you on this one. I hate Real - I hope it shrivels up and dies a horrible death!!!!!!

-KEN-
03-04-2005, 05:40 AM
That's why we have Real Alternative.

ober
03-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Here's a link to what Ken is talking about... it works great: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

SpEcIeS
03-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Before I change my media player I just want to know something. Does Real Alternative play as well as real player and is it really worth switching over? I see that there is quick alternative, does everyone believe that it is better that Quicktime?

Personally I am not troubled by realplayer, but windows media player is a bit of a pain. I would like to remove it and have one media player that does all, including wmv. If at all possible. :rolleyes:

Having more than one media player that does the same job as the rest, but offers a few other formats is bothersome and a waste of HDD space.

SMurf
03-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Linux media players (e.g. MPlayer) take a similar view and support playback of Quicktime and possibly Real media by "linking" to their DLLs.

You might want to look into them, although I tend to find Windows ports of Linux GUI software tends to have some sort of wacky requirement like GTK installation... :rolleyes:

SpEcIeS
03-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks. :)

When it comes to linux Kaffeine and Totem are really nice media players. My son got me into watching Invader Zim and I thoroughly enjoyed it on those players. :) Zim is a nut. :rolleyes:

With windows though, is it worth removing windows media player, realplayer, and replacing them with real alternative player?

major_small
03-04-2005, 09:33 AM
IMO, realalternative lacks in quality and robustness a little, and wouldn't make for a good all-in-one... If I were you, I would try realalternative for a while and keep the 'other' programs on your system until you make a decision.

SpEcIeS
03-04-2005, 09:38 AM
IMO, realalternative lacks in quality and robustness a little, and wouldn't make for a good all-in-one... If I were you, I would try realalternative for a while and keep the 'other' programs on your system until you make a decision.

Thanks major_small, that was just the insight I was looking for. :)

It would be nice to have a good quality media player that does it all. Just one ... please just one.... ;)

Govtcheez
03-04-2005, 09:39 AM
VLC's an excellent player (IMO), but I've never used it to play realvideo.

Brain Cell
03-04-2005, 09:44 AM
I've never had any problems with Real player (im using ver 10 or "gold").

adrianxw
03-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Often, sites that have streaming news etc., offer Windows Media Player or RealPlayer feeds. I almost always choose RealPlayer because I find it to work better.

What exactly is it that Real does that is the "problem"? I don't seem to have any trouble with it.

SpEcIeS
03-04-2005, 10:14 AM
For the most part Real Player is good, personally I would just like to have a media player that does it all. Perhaps this is just a dream. :D

Maybe oneday Real Player will have support for windows media formats.

major_small
03-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Often, sites that have streaming news etc., offer Windows Media Player or RealPlayer feeds. I almost always choose RealPlayer because I find it to work better.I find the same... WMP streams always deteriorate, while RealPlayer (or mp3) feeds are generally pretty good...

as for the all-in-one, sometimes an all-in-one just can't be good enough to do the job well... usually all-in-one's lack in a lot of areas to cover everything.

xddxogm3
03-04-2005, 02:22 PM
i feel proprietarty software or hardware is a waist. i want companies to release a codec for my player, not a player. real audio and real video is proprietary. i'm a linux person, and hate anything that isn't in ogg or flac format. real is a pain in the ..........ing @$$ to change into another format unless i change it back to analog then back to digital audio (speaker 1/8 to mic 1/8). i know there are few softwares that record what you hear, but it is still crap due to the loss of quality. i have about 25 buddhist darhma talks that i want to have in a universal format that anyone can play (windows, unix, solaris, etc.) wma is proprietary, not as bad as ram, ra, etc. i hate the company's issue with allowing an opensource alternative to its encoder/decoder. if anyone knows of a decoder/encoder for real media that works and is free tell me. everything i have found doesn't work on the real 10 format. i want my site to host these buddhist recordings in 3 formats wma, ogg, and flac. 2 lossy and one lossless. wma for windows users and ogg for *nix users. i want someone that can download something from me for free, to already have a player to listen to it with (it needs to be on demand). Not configure and install, then on demand.

adrianxw
03-04-2005, 02:50 PM
You hate the company protecting it's investment. Okay, but that is a normal business practice. We do not live in an open source world, not yet anyway, and as long as the patents issue is finally laid to rest, we may get better.

That is not the same as your original post though. You said RealPlayer did a whole load of anti-social things. I am saying I do not find that to be the case at all.

Give me some specific examples of what it is doing that is so wrong. (Specific examples do not include rhetoric and angst).

Hunter2
03-04-2005, 11:38 PM
I was quite annoyed the first time I installed with default settings. It changed the file associations of just about everything to play with Real, glued a tray icon to my screen that was troublesome to get rid of, and several other minor baddies that I don't recall. Most could have been prevented if I'd been more careful while installing; but in the end, tracking down and fixing all the problems became so time-consuming that I ended up uninstalling it and avoiding it for about a year and a half. A similar story goes for Quicktime (tray icon with no built-in option to remove it, or maybe that was Real and other problems were Quicktime).

I have since installed both on my system, and I now have no further problems.

xddxogm3
03-05-2005, 12:18 AM
i guess the cost of the encoder/decoder is just a downfall of the software and the company. I understand this complaint had nothing to do with the original concern of the software having spyware/virus properties. so i do appologize for adding that in, and getting side tracked in the thread. but i do feel that the practices of the player do resemble in a watered down way a hijacking software. but on the issue of the media choice i do feel that if the person that encoded the data allows me to reproduce, distribute, etc, i should not have to access the data with a third party software to encode/decode. i do realize this issue is ultimately between me and the webmasters that prvided me with the recordings. i feel the ethical way should be to allow me to encode and decode with a codec made by real, but in my own prepurchased or opensource encoder/decoder. does anyone know if there is an opensource codec for real media that i can embed into an encoder of my choice or making?

does anyone know much about the new helix project they have?
i have been unable to find the documentation on the helix encoder.
I do not like the idea of the license it uses, but i would use it if need be.
Does the helix encoder provide the capability to encode and decode real audio into wave?