PDA

View Full Version : When you don't feel like reading\programming..

Brain Cell
02-25-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm sure that everyone had this feeling before. But how long does it usually last?

I ALWAYS suffer from this , i get it too often to the point i think that programming isn't what i really want. It usually lasts from a day to 2-3 weeks. I don't feel like reading any book\tutorial , learning or programming anything during it. All i want to do is play PS2 , watch a movie , go out or do anything else that doesn't require any brains.

This doesn't only keep me away from programming and let me waste my time on other stuff ; i always find myself forgetting stuff and needing to review them wich makes my waste my time on things i've already learned. This feeling made me learn C in couple of months instead of 2-3 months. And apparently the same thing will happen with C++.

Do you get this feeling often? if so , how do you overcome it?

any help is appreciated

gcn_zelda
02-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Generally, when I'm in that mood where I don't want to read or program, which is very often, I lie in bed listening to music, generally music with cheesy, not-too-deep lyrics(AKA Styx, old Dashboard Confessional, Weezer, etc.).

dpro
02-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Yeah I suffer from the same thing. I suppose genius has its drawbacks eh? :D

Seriously I try and do something completely different, then think about why I like programming etc. I love learning about languages and such, so it kinda comes in natural for me, but oftentimes its just that I am a bit of a nerd at heart and always am fascinated by computers in the end. So that helps me get back into the swing of things.

jrahhali
02-25-2005, 09:18 PM
I can understand what yoru talking about. What has helped with me is this: instead of reading quickly, trying to get as much of the book as i can in the time that i have alotted to reading, i simply have made the decision to sit down, read a paragraph/section or whatever, then put the book down. I think about it for a while, and not go back to it until i'm fully comfortable with what i've just read. Then i move on. Yes it's slow. In fact, i am reading a novel right now, that i've had since close to the beginning of february, and i'm only on chapter 3. (600 pages, 13 chapters) - Partly becuase i dont' have a whoel lot of spare time to read this spare time book.

I'm not saying you need to go this slow, but you may want to try it out. It gives you time to absord the information and ask quesitons.

Another thing that can help is, when you get that anxious feeling to start learning/reading about programming in yoru case, dont' go blow it all in one go, so to speak. Even if it's hard putting down the book, and you want to keep reading, set a time limit for yourself, go for that, and when you have reached it, lay the reading aside. This helps you keept that anxious feeling and helps you retain the information you just read better.

Also, try reading or thinking about what you read every day, even if it's just for a few minutes. It keeps you in habit and gives you a sense of (even though small) progression.

Darkness
02-25-2005, 09:44 PM
drink alcohol

sand_man
02-25-2005, 09:45 PM
It happens to me occasionally aswell. Although I have never said to myself, "programming isn't what i really want". I just take a break for a few days and looks for some new ideas to go back to.

Brain Cell
02-26-2005, 09:14 AM
gcn_zelda :
I wish that works for me.

but oftentimes its just that I am a bit of a nerd at heart and always am fascinated by computers in the end. So that helps me get back into the swing of things.
hehe yea i know what you mean. I'm not 100% nerd because i'm social and not unattractive :p

jrahhali :
Nice idea , i thought about once. I'll try to resist the temptation next time

drink alcohollol its not THAT bad. I don't drink alcohol anyway.

sand_man :
Seems like its natural then :D

GanglyLamb
02-26-2005, 10:33 AM
I have that feeling often but it doesnt last longer then a day usually, it doesnīt bother me or anything.

Except when im in school and we have programming class,and i have that kind of feeling then iīll just sit back and relax and catch up with the rest whenever i feel like programming.

Also i dontīt know why but usually i start programming in the evening, during the day i donīt feel like programming too much since theres a lot of distraction going on, but during the evening-night everything is quiet ( except for the thinking going on in my head ).

I think itīs a normal thing ;).

Lurker
02-26-2005, 11:11 PM
I found this out, too. I decided I don't want a career in computers. I don't think it's right for me - I am just too lazy. I don't want to think, and I'm not driven to WANT to finish a problem. Culture and language fits into my mind much better, and I've always been interested in the world we live in.

alphaoide
02-27-2005, 12:44 AM
I'm sure that everyone had this feeling before. But how long does it usually last?

I ALWAYS suffer from this , i get it too often to the point i think that programming isn't what i really want. It usually lasts from a day to 2-3 weeks. I don't feel like reading any book\tutorial , learning or programming anything during it. All i want to do is play PS2 , watch a movie , go out or do anything else that doesn't require any brains.

This doesn't only keep me away from programming and let me waste my time on other stuff ; i always find myself forgetting stuff and needing to review them wich makes my waste my time on things i've already learned. This feeling made me learn C in couple of months instead of 2-3 months. And apparently the same thing will happen with C++.

Do you get this feeling often? if so , how do you overcome it?

any help is appreciated

This could be serious. How could you live 2-3 weeks "avoiding" what supposely you'd love doing? I wish I had more time to read books on programming and apply it.
I think it's time for you to weight all your options. Programming may not what you really want. What makes you go back to it after hibernating? Is it just because you need to have a career someday and you see no other field as an option? If so, what can I say? It'll be suck having to do what you don't enjoy doing.

SourceCode
02-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Programming involves thinking, and lots of thinking leads to mental exhaustion, and over time, burnout. It's very normal to get sick of programming and not want to do it.

Most people agree that having balance is the most important thing to living a happy and productive life. Unfortunately I don't live by my own words, I often become obsessed with doing certain things, luckily they are productive things and not bad things.

Brain Cell
02-27-2005, 08:28 AM
I think i found out whats wrong with me. I'm depressed. I get this depression from time to time.

One of depression's symptoms , according to [url=http://www.utexas.edu/student/cmhc/booklets/depression/depress.html]this link[/urll] is "Diminished interest in and enjoyment of previously pleasurable activities-sex, sports, hobbies, going out with friends, etc." , so i guess thats it. I think its the reason i typed "blue member" under my name :(

What makes you go back to it after hibernating? Because i love programming. I even in enjoy it more when it goes more difficult , but currently i don't even want to look at my C++ book nor program anything.

uh .. well .. i feel real bad now so i better stop typing before i start saying stupid stuff.

Thanks for participating Gangylamb , lurker , alphaoide and SourceCode

PING
02-27-2005, 09:11 AM
i have the same feeling sometimes, when i don't feel like programming, or reading stuff related to it. it is usually when i have studied chemistry, coz i am still in school and learning up the reactions sucks bigtime. :) , but i get by this feeling in a day or two. usually i go to sleep, or listen to music, and dont try to think of anything related to programming at all. else i read up on jokes, or just turn off the comp and read a good novel or something..i just love reading Gardener's Perry Mason series..and reading does help to get past this "feeling".
and yes brain cell, i dont know how old you are, but if you are considering software engineering as a career, then you better be prepared for such mental exhaustion..coz when you are on a job, you dont get that "day or two" to get back to normal. you have to deliver you best and thats what yo boss expects :) take care .

BMJ
02-27-2005, 12:08 PM
drink alcoholDo this.

dpro
02-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Do this.

Not so good if he is depressed though :p

Personally I'm diabetic so I choose not to drink, rather not suffer the often times weird side-effects. Its a choice that can be difficult, but thats my life and not yours :P. Anyway if you are depressed brain cell I hope all goes well.

But people go back to what they love, even if you can't stand it for a while, you go back because its fun and enjoyable at heart. Programming does lead to mental exhaustion, but it can be very rewarding as well.

PJYelton
02-28-2005, 01:37 PM
I have the same problem from time to time, can't tell you how many times I've had to relearn the same things over and over again. If it lasts more than a week what usually helps me is figuring out a completely new project to start. By getting my brain to work out the new ideas and concepts I want to use or learn almost always gets me excited about programming again.

Brain Cell
03-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Fortunately , i'm getting a lot better. Seems like i've been a bit too worried about important stuff i had to do ASAP (plus feeling short on time) , wich lead to depression. Now that i'm almost done , i can feel the love for programming flowing through my viens again ;)

I have the same problem from time to time, can't tell you how many times I've had to relearn the same things over and over again. If it lasts more than a week what usually helps me is figuring out a completely new project to start. By getting my brain to work out the new ideas and concepts I want to use or learn almost always gets me excited about programming againyup , thats EXACTLY how it is.

[quote=dpro]But people go back to what they love, even if you can't stand it for a while, you go back because its fun and enjoyable at heart. Programming does lead to mental exhaustion, but it can be very rewarding as well.]
It sucks to leave something you've been learning for a long while. I might hate it for a while , but i keep coming back because its the only thing i enjoy doing.

DrakkenKorin
03-01-2005, 03:23 PM

I ALWAYS suffer from this , i get it too often to the point i think that programming isn't what i really want.
felt the same way, except change weeks to months.

how do you overcome it?
easily - i changed my major.

i went to a career counselor and told him of my feelings of ambivelence about CS. so he asked me some questions, like describe such and such class...

then he asked me if i noticed how much time i spend describing classes. he told me that i spend about a minute to 2 talking about my CS classes, and between 3 to 5 describing my anthro classes.

he said it seemed like to him that i enjoyed anthro more and he ddint know why i was majoring in cs. ultimately the decision was mine and i switched majors.

so now i have a degree in anthropology and a minor in cs, both of which are rarely ever used in my profession - writing and administering contracts for the gov't - GO COLLEGE!

Jez
03-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Currently I'm at the "burnt out" stage. (Having just written the worlds fastest Game of Life program I feel I'm entitled to be).

Normally I go for a walk in the woods with my dog, or to the beach, get drunk (I don't do this too often) - getting out and away from screens is the best thing. Sleep is good too.

But then I get another idea which excites me so I always come back to some project or other.

Krak
03-01-2005, 08:56 PM
We all get like that Brain.

And depression may be the cause of it..but know that it's completely normal to get tired of programming and learning it... And so is depression, as a feeling. We all get blue..we all get caught in ruts some times...we all lose our patience with things...and we all sometimes just don't have the will to do things.

Don't think there's anything wrong with you, or that you're different. If it makes you feel any better, I've been through my share of horrible unmotivation and depression problems, that escalated into suicide attempts and all sorts of goofy stuff.

The best advice you can get is just: know that you're not alone in depression or unmotivation: whether it's consistent or just a mood....it's not unsual. Just take some time to do things you enjoy...be social...talk, get out...try to take your mind off things. Just because you want to program for a living(or maybe you don't)...doesn't mean that you have to always feel like doing it and be devoted to it all the time to be considered a programmer.

We all need our space, and we all need to just relax and reflect sometimes. Don't worry, be happy.:)

SpEcIeS
03-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Wow.. that was great.. :D Now I truly know that I am not alone.

Brain Cell
03-03-2005, 06:32 PM
heh , yea .. its good to know that we're not alone ;).

Krak :
Thanks for sharing that. :)
DrakkenKorin :
nah, i won't\can't change it. Computers are the only thing i'm good at. Its just the depressions and laziness i get from time to time.

ok this went too long , someone will probably think im trying to get people's attention or something , lol. Will a mod close this please?

thanks in advance ;)