PDA

View Full Version : Company Name

RoD
02-10-2005, 03:55 AM
For a few years now i have been building pc's for friends and relatives, but in the past few months its started to grow from a mild hobby to a downright source of income. It used to be i got a build, repair, etc once a month, maybe a little more, at most. Now its to the point i have 8 computer systems to build this month.

Ive recently aquired a state tax ID #, and set myself up with two wholesale accounts through reputable suppliers. Now im getting ready to actually pay someone to host a site, and its looking like im actually going to be moving my work into an office in a busy city about 20 minutes from me.

In other words, its gone from a hobby to...well a business. The problem is, i cant come up with a name for it. I'm just bad at it. Below are a few ones i came up with just laying on the couch. If you have one that you feel is good enough to earn you some $ then plz pm me, dont post it.

i'm not really looking to pay for one or use exactly what is posted on these forums, im just fishing for ideas.

High Voltage Computers
Dream Machines
No Limitz PC
Xania Systems

none of them are incredible or anything, just looking for input.

CornedBee
02-10-2005, 05:01 AM
I like High Voltage Computers. Sounds like fun! *zap*

RoD
02-10-2005, 05:34 AM
lol

i cant sleep for crap so ive just been sitting thinking bout it. i kinda want something that people know how to say, but have never heard of it. Thats kinda why i liked Xania the best. Its not a real word, or thing (i made it up, hope its not), it just IS. Kinda grabs ya imo. Like

Xania PC
Xania Systems

plus www.xaniapc.com is available.

Brain Cell
02-10-2005, 06:47 AM
I don't like to make up names for people , so i'll give my opinion on the name's you've suggested :

>> High Voltage Computers
too long , i don't like it.

>> Dream Machines
i don't like this either , sounds ... umm .. err... gay ??

>> No Limitz PC
DO NOT use a name like this. Its really lame. (and again , its only my opinion ;))

>> Xania PC
>> Xania Systems
Nice :). Short , easy to remember and sounds professional.

Good luck with your company :)

Govtcheez
02-10-2005, 06:56 AM
> No Limitz PC

This is the worst name ever. Is Master P building PCs now?

ober
02-10-2005, 07:01 AM
Xania... riiiiight... because if you say it outloud to someone, how are they going to spell it?

My suggestion is to use an acronym that no one understands, but is easy to remember.

Example: KAS (kick.......... systems), CRAP (computer repair and performance), etc.

SMurf
02-10-2005, 08:07 AM
...Although CRAP would lose you prude or religious business. ;)

Isn't there a company name generator on Google somewhere? You know, takes your name, favourite colour, etc...

kermi3
02-10-2005, 08:41 AM
...You should also probably look into whether or not you should try and make your company an LLC or something - to protect yourself from being sued.

ober
02-10-2005, 09:31 AM
...Although CRAP would lose you prude or religious business. ;) It was just an example ;)

RoD
02-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Good suggestion guys. As for a name gen the only one i actually found was costly.

major_small
02-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I like Xania... but in marketing, I would try to make a big deal out of the X in Xania... kinda like "Sketchers... it's the 'S'"

try something recursive:
PHP = PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
GNU = GNU's Not Unix

xxxrugby
02-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Xania Systems looks good for me.

RoD
02-10-2005, 07:47 PM
yea im really starting to like that name honestly.....

-KEN-
02-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Haha you're going to become bankrupt.

Might as well call yourself "Totally Unreliable Computers" or "Dime A Dozen Digital."

axon
02-10-2005, 08:08 PM
I don't like xania...too made up; there is no meaning behind it. Plus you'll be building computers and not systems. Thirdly, it reminds me of Pierce Anthony's Xanth series :p

Jeremy G
02-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Heres my idea free of charge (cause IM too lazy for PM)

Since you do fix/build systems I think you could use a variation of a common computer accronym Foobar or Fubar.
Fubar Systems
Fubar'd Systems
FooBar Systems
Foobar'd Systems
No Sys Foobar
NoSysFubar
unFubar

etc. lots of potential.

novacain
02-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Good one RoD!
Best when you can take something you enjoy and make a living out of it.

Remember that you will have to support any systems you build/repair and factor that into your price. I found I spent 90% of my time answering 10% of my customers problems. So make sure its the right 10% (the ones who will generate more work by recomending you).

I'm all for calling it something descriptive based on your market like

'Reliable PC Repairs'

Then again naming is not my strong point exibited by the fact I have 'Novacain (for) Computers' registered (as well as a few others including 'TechNoFear Software').

RoD
02-10-2005, 09:52 PM
i can only scan posts atm, but ive decided.

FUBAR PC's

I'll be pm'n the maker later, i absolutely love that. Thank you.

XSquared
02-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Are you serious? F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition PCs? You sure about that?

major_small
02-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Are you serious? F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition PCs? You sure about that?

read the FAQ (http://faq.cprogramming.com/cgi-bin/smartfaq.cgi?answer=1044651050&id=1043284351) :D

RoD
02-10-2005, 11:24 PM
actually its beyond all repair.

RoD
02-11-2005, 03:06 AM
As much as i do like that name, you make a very good point x lmao. As hard as i try i cannot come up with something good for FUBAR to stand for and i wont be able to be honest with the customer who asks what fubar is heh.

Ken, thnx for the support, you've been great. I wouldnt so much call it a living i have no intentions at all to make it my sole income, not anytime soon. I like Xania the more i think about it. Who needs meaning, wtf is Newegg or Dell, or Xoxide or the others? Ok dell is prolly a last name but you see my point.

Hmm, if anyone else has any to shoot out plz do. FUBAR was good for a laugh but i put some serious thought to it and....bad plan.

ober
02-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Ok, seriously. Drop the Xania thing. #1 no one will know how to spell it when you say it, and the whole "X" thing is getting far too overrated.

axon
02-11-2005, 11:19 AM
how about R.O.D PC ? :D insert your own meaning there - I can't think of anything clever atm, maybe Reliable Optimal unDestructable Pc :D

XSquared
02-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Then someone will probably take a sledgehammer to their PC and sue him for false advertising. :p

axon
02-11-2005, 11:44 AM
actually I was just kidding - you shouldn't use words such as "optimal" or "reliable" in any formal document or name - phrases like that have different meaning to different people.

XSquared
02-11-2005, 12:41 PM
I figured that you were kidding. Thus the ':p'.

Salem
02-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Really Original Designs

Place names can be quite good (Eg. Wind River Systems http://www.windriver.com/, Green Hills Software http://www.ghs.com/). A good one may suggest a useful company logo to go along with it.

Davros
02-11-2005, 12:55 PM
There's nothing worse than having a company name applicable to one thing, then wanting do another. If you called it Xania PCs, then wanted to sell something else, it would be inconvient.

Systems is sooo 90s & meaningless. Just Xania is better.

IMHO

LuckY
02-11-2005, 12:58 PM
"Your Personal Computer Builder"
See, it's a play on words. Either "personal" can refer to the type of computer the builder builds for his customers ("that builder built my personal computer [PC]") or it can refer to the relationship of the computer builder to his customers ("that guy is my personal computer builder").

RoD
02-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the input. I ran this on a few different forums, friends, etc.

I'm going with Xania PC's. Thanks again everyone.