PDA

View Full Version : oh no not the belly !!!

Pages : [1] 2

Brain Cell
02-06-2005, 02:49 AM
Bieng a fat guy with a big belly isn't a big deal in my opinion. But when my whole body's fat is concentrated on the stomach area ... now THATS a big deal.

I searched plenty of sites on how to "reduce the belly's fat" but they were mostly fake or offer pills or other stupid stuff , so i thought i should come here and ask , and someone will hopefully give me an answer based on their personal experience.

I asked some of my friends about it and they said i should probably go jog outside on daily basis , but i have no time to do that. Are there any other ways to reduce my belly's fat? like give up coke and beer or/and fast food for example? maybe some home exercises?

My belly isn't visible when im wearing a t-shirt , but its getting bigger and bigger every week..... pretty scary :o

Scribbler
02-06-2005, 03:04 AM
Situps and crunches... lots of them :D

adrianxw
02-06-2005, 03:34 AM
When the body has more energy coming in then is going out, it stores the surplus as fat, (simplistically speaking). In males, the abdominal area is the first place it accumulates.

To remove surplus fat, you need to ensure that your energy use is higher then your energy uptake for a period.

Specific abdominal exercise will not burn the fat off any faster then any other form of exercise, but it will tone the underlying muscle which can sometimes give the impression of having greater effect.

jverkoey
02-06-2005, 03:58 AM
You're crazy Brain Cell. :D

Quit playing that cursed PS2. :rolleyes:

andyhunter
02-06-2005, 04:56 AM
give up coke and beer or/and fast food for example?

Aah, yeah. Beer has so many carbs it is not even funny. Someone should come up with a loaf of bread to beer conversion. I bet people would be extremely surprised.

Anyway if you are looking for a simple diet to go on take a look at the southbeach diet. It proclaims and actually does, 'get the belly fat first'.

The best thing about the diet is you don't have to give up anything you really don't want to and you should never be hungry on the diet. Simply increase your portion size until you are comfortable with it. With the realization that it will slow down the results.

SMurf
02-06-2005, 05:00 AM
A few years ago I thought it'd be a smart idea to hook up part of an exercise bike to a computer's power supply so that in order to keep on using the thing you'd have to do a good few km.

It's probably been done now, but I wish I'd had the sense to do it. :o
Although I dunno exactly how much power you'd need to generate, computers need a bit more juice than a lightbulb... :confused:

adrianxw
02-06-2005, 05:52 AM
Actually, I thought a little more about this. What you could do is follow the example of Andrew Fischer (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4170523.stm) and Angel Brammer (http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/readstory.php?id=5586).

Brain Cell
02-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Specific abdominal exercise will not burn the fat off any faster then any other form of exercise, but it will tone the underlying muscle which can sometimes give the impression of having greater effect.
But fat would be burned eventually , right?

all i want is to get completley rid of this silly belly , will situps help me accomplish that? (regardless of how much time it takes)

You're crazy Brain Cell. :D

Quit playing that cursed PS2. :rolleyes:
I'll quit it the moment you fall in love with chemistry :D

Anyway if you are looking for a simple diet to go on take a look at the southbeach diet. It proclaims and actually does, 'get the belly fat first'.
I'm checking their website. The site looks somehow confusing and fake but i'll see what i can find :)

A few years ago I thought it'd be a smart idea to hook up part of an exercise bike to a computer's power supply so that in order to keep on using the thing you'd have to do a good few km.
ROFL !!! you're a genius !!! but i don't imagine my-self cycling for 5 hours in a row :rolleyes:

Actually, I thought a little more about this. What you could do is follow the example of Andrew Fischer and Angel Brammer.
Man its not THAT big. You're supposed to tell me how to lose fat not how to make money out of my belly :rolleyes:

Govtcheez
02-06-2005, 08:04 AM
> all i want is to get completley rid of this silly belly , will situps help me accomplish that? (regardless of how much time it takes)

Spot training is a myth. If you just start doing a ton of situps, all you'll do is build up a layer of muscle under your fat. You'll just look bigger.

The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you're taking in, period. Exercise and eating well is the best way to do this. Eating small, regular meals will increase your metabolism, and so will exercising. Just make sure the stuff you're eating isn't garbage. Also, don't do one of the fad diets, like South Beach or Atkins. You're healthier in the long run to lose it the natural way.

-KEN-
02-06-2005, 08:29 AM
First off: Yeah, limit yourself to very, very, few cokes or beers, and try to never eat fast food. Obviously you can "cheat" a bit, but I wouldn't. That in and of itself could potentially lose you a few pounds.

Then, of course, you'll need to excercise; there's really no way around it. Jogging doesn't take too long, saying you don't have the time is a pure excuse. Wake up 30 minutes early and go jogging.

edit: This thread is kind of funny, because I was just lying in my bed thinking about how I should start jogging daily again.

adrianxw
02-06-2005, 08:41 AM
>>> But fat would be burned eventually , right?

If you are using more energy then you are consuming, the energy must come from somewhere, so yes, it will come from your body's energy store, it's fat reserves.

>>> not how to make money out of my belly

A problem is only a problem until it's value as an asset is realised.

Salem
02-06-2005, 09:14 AM
> how to make money out of my belly
Have you considered sumo ;)

Darkness
02-06-2005, 10:10 AM
What govt said is pretty much what I was going to say:

> all i want is to get completley rid of this silly belly , will situps help me accomplish that? (regardless of how much time it takes)

Spot training is a myth. If you just start doing a ton of situps, all you'll do is build up a layer of muscle under your fat. You'll just look bigger.

The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you're taking in, period. Exercise and eating well is the best way to do this. Eating small, regular meals will increase your metabolism, and so will exercising. Just make sure the stuff you're eating isn't garbage. Also, don't do one of the fad diets, like South Beach or Atkins. You're healthier in the long run to lose it the natural way.

Thantos
02-06-2005, 12:28 PM
all i want is to get completley rid of this silly belly
A couple things to keep in mind:
-The human body needs to keep at least 3% body fat to maintain a healthy composition
-You may not have the genetics to get that "6 pack", in fact most people don't
-There is only one proven diet: Intake fewer calories then you expend

If you are in poor shape you might want to consult a physican that can help you with a starting plan. One of the worst things to do is to just "jump" into a heavy load of physical activites.

/me realizes he's talking about health stuff while eating leftover pizza

cerin
02-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Well, I've always been skinny and active I've never such a problem. If I were you though I would eat healthy food just to the point where you are satisfied(not full). Of course I would do some form of exercise my ideal choice would be swimming. As for being on the computer do something like curls with one hand while your not typing, and of course don't drink any beer. :p

Lurker
02-06-2005, 01:02 PM
My friend has some kind of tapeworm or something. He's short and thin as a toothpick, but eats candy and junk food 24 hours a day, constantly. It's almost scary. He is active, but not as active as some, well, chunkier people I've seen :) .

Bajanine
02-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Stay away from carbs! It is harder than it sounds but it does work. I mean ALL carbs. Just 2 full weeks with no carbs and you will be amazed!

And yes eating less or exersizing more or both is truely the only way to lose weight. Exersizing has the added benifit of releving stress also.

cerin
02-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Did you know you spelled exercising wrong?

Govtcheez
02-06-2005, 02:28 PM
> Stay away from carbs! It is harder than it sounds but it does work. I mean ALL carbs. Just 2 full weeks with no carbs and you will be amazed!

Don't listen to this. Eat a balanced diet. Carbohydrates, in moderation, are part of a balanced diet. They provide energy, which you should be burning off with daily activites and exercise. In the long term, fad diets DO NOT WORK for the vast majority of the population.

Thantos
02-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Stay away from carbs! It is harder than it sounds but it does work. I mean ALL carbs. Just 2 full weeks with no carbs and you will be amazed!
THIS IS HORRIBLE ADVICE! Your brain requires carbs to function. I have seen first hand the effects of carb depletion and it is scary. You ability to reason, think clearly, drive, control your emotions, and hell stand up stright will go right out the window.

Food just like pretty much everything else is all about moderation. Too much of anything can be deadly and too little of most things can be equally deadly.

SMurf
02-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Join an African music quartet. Tell them that you play the bongo drum and can bring it at short notice. Trust me, if you slap it enough times it will take the hint. ;)

Hunter2
02-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Alas. It seems there is no alternative for me than to go jogging/other form of easily accessible exercise. So generally, how long/how far/how often do you need to jog if you want to get into shape? I heard if you do 1 hour of exercise per week, you can stay in shape if you're already fit - but that was referring to aerobics and 1 hour of straight exercise, which I have neither the time nor patience to complete (in jogging) in one stretch.

Govtcheez
02-06-2005, 03:57 PM
stuff
First, go to a doctor. They'll be able to give you better advice than people on an internet forum who don't even know what kind of shape you're in.

Second, I cannot possibly believe you lack an hour of free time a week.

Thantos
02-06-2005, 03:58 PM
The new recommendation is one hour to 90 minutes of aerobic exercise per day to maintain.

Hunter2
02-06-2005, 04:54 PM
First, go to a doctor. They'll be able to give you better advice than people on an internet forum who don't even know what kind of shape you're in.

Second, I cannot possibly believe you lack an hour of free time a week.Of course, I'm just too lazy to go see a doctor :) Which is part of the problem. And I don't lack an hour per week, it's just that I don't know if 1 hour spread over a week is any different than 1 hour all at the same time.

@Thantos: Ouch, that's a lot of exercise.. looks like I'm doomed to eventual obesity.

Thantos
02-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Well that new recommendation came out last week or the week before. I heard about it on the radio.

Govtcheez
02-06-2005, 05:02 PM
> it's just that I don't know if 1 hour spread over a week is any different than 1 hour all at the same time.

Yes. You burn the most calories once your heart rate gets up to a certain amount and stays there for awhile.

Bajanine
02-06-2005, 07:51 PM
I also mispelled relieving okay really it was just a typo!

It's not as if I suggested you should quit carbs for life, just for a short period of time.

Thantos
02-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Two weeks without carbs would be very bad.

DrakkenKorin
02-06-2005, 08:25 PM
LIPOSUCTION.

and with all the fighting about carbs (a la atkins, south beach, the zone, etc. etc) you should probably read up on them a bit more.

none of these diet plans say to completely abandon carbs (i.e. intake of 0 carbs). what they do say, however, is that the intake of carbs should be limited to (depending on diet) 20 to 35 grams/day during the first few weeks of the diet, and then slowly add them back in.

everyone probably knows that it is easier to convert carbs into energy for the body. however, when the intake of carbs is reduced, the body has to resort to using stored energy reserves (i.e. fat).

also, these diets help those who suffer from Acanthosis Negricans.

(had to do research for this for a presentation for my medical anthropology class).

sean
02-06-2005, 08:43 PM
how to make money out of my belly

OMAHA, Neb. -- A Web-page designer who auctioned off the use of his forehead for advertizing space is letting it go to his head.

Andrew Fischer, 20, of Omaha, who put his forehead for sale on eBay as advertizing space, recieved $37,375 on Friday to advertise the snoring remedy, SnoreStop.

Fischer will display the SnoreStop logo on his forehead for one month.

"I look forward to an enjoyable association with Andrew -- a man who clearly has a head for business in every sense of the word," SnoreStop CEO Christian de Rivel said.

"People will always comment on something out of the ordinary," Fischer said in his sales pitch. "People like weird."

But there were limits: He refused from the outset to be the conduit for any message or product deemed tasteless of unacceptable in traditional advertizing formats.

I recommend selling quarters of your stomach.

Brain Cell
02-06-2005, 09:15 PM
-You may not have the genetics to get that "6 pack", in fact most people don'ta 6 pack would be cool , but i'm not aiming for that. I just want my stomach to look "straight".

Don't listen to this. Eat a balanced diet.thats part of the problem , how would i know if my diet (or lets see the food i eat) is balanced?

Have you considered sumo ;)
I recommend selling quarters of your stomach
you guys think in a REALLY different way. :rolleyes:

ok now lets get some things straight, basically all i have to do is :
- Spend more energy than i take.
- Eat healthy balanced food.
- Give up fast food , pizza , beer , dew and some of the other good stuff :(

What if i just eat less food than usual? my body would start burning fat to compensate , right?

Do you guys know any website that has a list showing how much carbs that different foods have?

Thantos
02-06-2005, 09:18 PM
thats part of the problem , how would i know if my diet (or lets see the food i eat) is balanced? You go to a doctor that will help monitor your progress

What if i just eat less food than usual? my body would start burning fat to compensate , right?

It depends. Say you burn 1500 calories a day but take in 2500 calories. If you drop to 2000 calories you'll still store fat

caroundw5h
02-06-2005, 09:43 PM
but i have no time to do that thats your first problem man. "if you wanna change some things in your life your gonna have to change some things in your life.

You can start off by doing cardio. start simply by running place for 5 minutes followed by basic situps and cunches. 2 sets of 30 each. Make sure you feel the crunch in your stomach when you work out. If you have predisposition to getting fat - like eating too much - then lower your intake.

just remember you don't need to have a six pack, but to even get a flat stomach you need to combine cardio, with ab workout and a diet low in fat as well - espeacially since men store their fat in their bellies. its really no biggie. JUST DO IT!! :D

Brain Cell
02-06-2005, 11:28 PM
okey i'll see what i can do about it :)

Thanks for sharing your opinions everyone

nvoigt
02-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Some additional hints: ( may be personal preference )

Stop eating 2 warm meals, especially meat, a day. If you prefer something warm when you come home, stick to veggies. It will have a visible effect on your belly plus buying less meat and more of the green stuff will have a positive influence on your supermarket bills.

Moderate:
Don't plan on keeping away from one sort of "bad food". It won't happen. You like chocolate and coke or chips and beer ? Great. Do not try the tactic of "I don't buy it, so I won't be tempted to eat it". There will be parties, you will visit a friend or someones birthday comes around or something similar and all that stuff you lusted for for weeks will be there. You might not be able to withstand a combined assault on your willpower. Try the contrary. Get a bar of chocolate. Get a bottle of beer. Put it in the fridge. Do not drink/eat it. Beat your own personal devil sitting on your shoulder talking of sweetsness and alcohol. It's way easier to say no if you have to do it everyday at home.

You can measure your success by asking yourself if that beer in the fridge is still good. If you don't know and don't really care, it's time to cheer.

Also, don't give up on one thing completely. Your friends order pizza ? Fine, have a small one. You like coke ? limit yourself to one drink a week. Don't try that coke light stuff. It tastes like crap. I'd rather drink water for 6 days and have a great tasting coke on saturday than drinking that light crap for seven days.

Don't miss out on the things you like. Just stay moderate with everything, which might mean you have to lower the intake a good bit.

Govtcheez
02-07-2005, 09:48 AM
> thats part of the problem , how would i know if my diet (or lets see the food i eat) is balanced?

Check out the FDA's food pyramid. It's not perfect (I've heard it's being revised) but it's a good guideline.

> What if i just eat less food than usual? my body would start burning fat to compensate , right?

That depends - if you drop the calories too fast your metabolism could go into starvation mode and your body will save everything it can as fat. Eating one big meal a day will do this. That's one of the reasons breakfast is so important; it gets your metabolism up and going right away.

ober
02-07-2005, 10:33 AM
One thing that should be mentioned: I've gone through the South Beach diet and it's not just about the diet itself and eating what they tell you to eat. It is more of a mindset and a change of lifestyle.

Examples: Instead of eating white bread, eat wheat bread. Cook with oil instead of butter. Drinking water instead of soda. Eat beans instead of corn. And there are a ton of other things about veggies that people should know. Like... did you know that corn and carrots are almost pure sugar? Did you know that cooking certain vegetables too long can reduce the nutrients in them?

It is stuff like that, NOT just cutting out the carbs. It is knowing what is healthy and learning how to prepare foods that will help you. I don't suggest the 3 step plan... just learn what you need and stick to it. Sure, the pounds won't fall off overnite, but if you stick with it, the pounds will start to disappear.

And always remember to exercise, even in moderation. ;)

axon
02-07-2005, 11:17 AM
If the below has been posted by someone else, sorry, I'm in school, no time to read all the responses.

My advice, drop the beer and do lots of cardio.

InvariantLoop
02-07-2005, 01:03 PM
If you want to lose weight you need to work out your whole body. Im speaking from experience. i was only 140lb 5 months ago. i started taking creatine, vitamins and protein shakes to get some weight and even though i gain weight and im now steady at 160lb with 16% body fat, my work out was not complete so right now im sitting here with a little belly. Lesson learned, when you work out you need to work out your whole body, as for the 6packs, they are developed in the kitchen not in the gym.

Brain Cell
02-07-2005, 01:14 PM
by the way guys , i drink non-alchoholic beer so what tempts me is the taste of the beer not the alchohol :)

nvoigt , following what you said is very difficult for me , especially the part where you said i should eat viggies more. While i can do everything you said the whole week , i wouldn't on week-ends. Especially when me and my friends go to (or order from) a pizza place. Pizza have a special place in my heart (or lets say my belly :p) and its the only fast food thats too tempting to give up or just eat little from.

I remember when i went to a GYM couple of months ago , people there told me to stop drinking coke and beer. I stopped drinking for one month (not even a single coke can). So i can control my self in the drinks side , but on the foods side its a little bit harder.

Govtcheez :
Thanks for suggesting that , i'll check it.

And about breakfast .... my college classes start from 1 PM everyday , thats why i mostly sleep to 12 PM , skip breakfast and eat lunch. I don't know if this is bad , but i'm sure its not good. So here's another bad habit thats hard to give up ;)

Ober , im checking the south beach diet and so far it seems interesting. I don't know if i can stick to it but its worth a try.

thanks for the advice axon :)

InvariantLoop , yea thats i hate about it . The fact that they're developed in the kitchen :(

I used to eat fast food almost daily. Now i stopped that and started to eat home-cooked stuff and eat little on dinner. I'll start changing my food style slowly and i'll hopefully get used to the new and "healthy" one :)

ober
02-07-2005, 01:51 PM
They say that if you normally drink 1-2 sodas a day and you give it up for a year, you'll lose 15 lbs. doing nothing.

EDIT: and like I said, you don't have to do the SB diet strictly, just learn a lot from it and you'll be good.

Govtcheez
02-07-2005, 02:02 PM
> And about breakfast .... my college classes start from 1 PM everyday , thats why i mostly sleep to 12 PM , skip breakfast and eat lunch. I don't know if this is bad , but i'm sure its not good. So here's another bad habit thats hard to give up

I don't know that it's important to do it at 7 am or anything, just when you get up. Have something good when you get up to get your metabolism rolling, that's the important part.

ober
02-07-2005, 02:33 PM
True dat. If your day runs from 12PM to 3AM, adjust your eating schedule to fit. "breakfast" at 12:45PM, "lunch" at 4PM, "dinner" at 8PM ... or something like that. It is better to eat smaller meals more often, but I was just giving you a guideline for the "3-a-day" meal plan.

Brain Cell
02-07-2005, 02:50 PM
that sounds like a good idea . I usually eat a small sandwich when i wake up , and i guess that doesn't count as breakfast.

I think i'll start eating breakfast when my next term starts :) (few days left)

Thantos
02-07-2005, 03:50 PM
On the sleep note: They have done studies and have found most people are healther mentally and physically if they follow the sun pattern. Basically if you are getting up at noon and going to sleep at 2am then over an extended period of time your health may decline.

Interestingly enough most major commercial disasters occur in the time of 2am to 4am

Dissata
02-07-2005, 10:16 PM
-You may not have the genetics to get that "6 pack", in fact most people don't

Thats interesting, I've never heard that before, where'd you hear/learn that from?

I would think that since a six pack is simply large abdominal muscles you would have to simply strengthen them as you would any muscle to get them to become defined

sean
02-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Who wants a six-pack when you can have a keg?

Maragato
02-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Thats interesting, I've never heard that before, where'd you hear/learn that from?

I would think that since a six pack is simply large abdominal muscles you would have to simply strengthen them as you would any muscle to get them to become defined

This isn't true. Well I have been practicing exercises since I know my self as a person and Ive allways been very thin in fact I'm a eternal 4 pack, the upper muscles basicly doesnt show up, even I doing countless abdominals everyday.

nvoigt
02-08-2005, 01:29 AM
nvoigt , following what you said is very difficult for me , especially the part where you said i should eat viggies more. While i can do everything you said the whole week , i wouldn't on week-ends.

That's my point :) I don't think you need to keep your diet 24/7. That creates stress and lust for that things you will never allow yourself to eat. It's way easier to tell yourself not to eat that pizza on tuesday when you know you will have one on saturday. If you live healthier 24/5 it will go a long way compared to 0/7. :D

Obviously 24/5 is not as effective as 24/7, probably not even scaling 1:1, but 5 is better than 0 and it will show. You won't get Mr. Universe till friday, but you can start right now and at least not grow a bigger belly until you decide what the right way is :rolleyes: