PDA

View Full Version : Windows: No updates for Pirated copies.

Perspective
01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Microsoft is going to start validating copies of windows before allowing updates. Now all the people using illegal copies have a good reason to try linux! Other than that, they have the choice of using un-patched windows versions or paying a ridiculous amount of money for windows. I'm actually a little surprised it took MS this long to do such a thing, priracy has been a big issue for them.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/26/HNpiracycheck_1.html?source=NLC-TB2005-01-26

ober
01-26-2005, 03:26 PM
There are still ways to get around it.

RoD
01-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Yep.

FillYourBrain
01-26-2005, 03:43 PM
RoD, that was an insightful and well constructed answer. Thanks for everything you do.

oh, and you shouldn't steal. bad. bad!

Jez
01-26-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm sure none of the posters on this forum would dream of using pirated software.

VirtualAce
01-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Except MS themselves.

gcn_zelda
01-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Suggestion:

Buy Windows.

Kleid-0
01-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Now all the people using illegal copies have a good reason to try linux! I switched to Linux about 2 months ago (maybe 5 months, I don't know!). I've only tried Debian, but I really like it! So if you want to get Linux, try Debian, the installer could really make you mad though, because there are like 35 questions or something like that. Be sure to have a printed walkthrough, enjoy reinstalling about 20 times like I did, and once you have the power and success after all of that hard work, you can sit down and....do something cool on Linux.

YOU WILL LOVE LINUX, TRUST ME. If you're a gamer crazed bastard, switch to Linux because you won't have time for games, and you'll be doing something important, like compiling kernels.

Rouss
01-26-2005, 08:46 PM
I switched to Linux about 2 months ago (maybe 5 months, I don't know!). I've only tried Debian, but I really like it! So if you want to get Linux, try Debian, the installer could really make you mad though, because there are like 35 questions or something like that. Be sure to have a printed walkthrough, enjoy reinstalling about 20 times like I did, and once you have the power and success after all of that hard work, you can sit down and....do something cool on Linux.

YOU WILL LOVE LINUX, TRUST ME. If you're a gamer crazed bastard, switch to Linux because you won't have time for games, and you'll be doing something important, like compiling kernels.

Actually, if you want something Debian-like, get Mepis (www.mepis.org). It's easy to install, and it autodetects just about any hardware you can imagine... Wireless cards (even those that require MADWifi), wacom tablets, a lot of printers, etc. It's based on Debian testing/unstable, so it is pretty current program-wise. And if you do have problems, there is a great online community (www.mepislovers.org), despite the lame name.

Brain Cell
01-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Now all the people using illegal copies have a good reason to try linux!you mean "Now all the asian crackers have a good reason to get back to work" :D

Perspective
01-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Kleid-0: Ive been using linux for about 4 years now, though I just recently started using it exclusively about a year ago. I use Fedora Core 3 at the moment.

Cii
01-26-2005, 09:56 PM
i still switch to xp to play CS. ... like now. i cant seem to shake that off. but other than that, it's all good.

Shadow
01-27-2005, 12:09 AM
> RoD, that was an insightful and well constructed answer. Thanks for everything you do.
I'm tellin' ya. That time he actually made sense. You ain't seen nothin' yet. :D

RoD
01-27-2005, 12:11 AM
i was simply agreeing with ober, bite me.

Kleid-0
01-27-2005, 12:18 AM
> RoD, that was an insightful and well constructed answer. Thanks for everything you do.
I'm tellin' ya. That time he actually made sense. You ain't seen nothin' yet. :D rofl. Well there goes 50% Microsoft customers down the drain. I'm sure a lot of people switched from their bought XP Home -> pirated XP Pro, and they won't be feeling pro anymore, it's back to the green moving scrollbar :(

RoD
01-27-2005, 12:20 AM
dont laugh too hard care bear

axon
01-27-2005, 12:21 AM
all my MS software (Office, XP pro, .NET) is legit - but still free :) good all msdn academy :D