PDA

View Full Version : Compiler question

Fool
08-31-2001, 01:43 PM
With MSVC++ can I only use it for C/C++? Will it recognize VB, Java, ASP, C# or any others?

-Fool

-KEN-
08-31-2001, 01:53 PM
let's think about this for a second. Imagine what they would have to do to make their compiler compile any lang. you could think of. and AT LEAST you'd have to write something along the lines of

-------LANG = C------

before each line of C code. It's a C and C++ only compiler. It will gag on any other language and wonder what you're smoking :)...If it could compile all languages, though - that would be cool.

Fool
08-31-2001, 02:14 PM
I'm just trying to figure out if Visual Studio would be worth the cost to me. What can VS do (student version)?

-Fool

-KEN-
08-31-2001, 02:19 PM
Be specific! MSVC and VS are two totally different things. With MSVC, you can only do C/C++. With visual studio you get a whole buncha compilers n stuff.

Fool
08-31-2001, 02:22 PM
If you would think before you post you would have understood what I'm saying:D

I'm trying to get a good compiler soon. In the next two years I'll be taking classes in C, C++, Java, VB, and more. I'm trying to decide if VS is worth the cost to me or should I just pick up MSVC (since I'll probably be on C++ the most). That's why I asked if MSVC could see any other langs.

-Fool

Fordy
08-31-2001, 05:52 PM
For a start, I dont think the Java element of VS is going to be up to much. You can download better java tooks for free (JDK, Jbuilder, JCreator).

Fool
08-31-2001, 06:00 PM
So which one do you guys think I should go with?

-Fool

Fordy
08-31-2001, 06:04 PM
Personally I'd get VC++ for now, Download the Java stuff and flat refuse to get involved with anything regarding VB (j/k)

As Dean has rightly pointed out once or twice, the complier world is about to change with the onset of .NET. So its not worth shelling out a fortune for VS when that is round the corner.

Fool
08-31-2001, 06:05 PM
You make some good points. I think I'll do that. Thanks!

-Fool

Witch_King
08-31-2001, 06:14 PM
If you continue to sit on your ass than you will miss your opportunity. Go and get them both. They are both free. Did you get the September issue of MSDN maganzine today? It has VS.NET Beta 2. You can use C, C++, C#, VB, J-script, and they are likely going to add another 13 languages.

Fool
08-31-2001, 10:14 PM
I don't have a DVD player on my PC. I bought it though, I'm just waiting for a friend to burn the program to a CDRW. And how do you figure that MSVC++ and MSVS are both free?

-Fool

Witch_King
08-31-2001, 10:18 PM
How could you not have a DVD? Everyone has one, infact I gave one away because I had too many. You will need something like 5 CD's. I don't think burning it to CD-RW would do any good at all. Go and get a 6 X DVD ROM, they are not too much.

Fool
08-31-2001, 10:20 PM
I think a DVD player on a PC is a waste. I've got a 50inch TV with a DVD and a 27inch with my PS2:D All my DVD needs are covered. I'm not too worried about it. I'll just stick with DevC++ for awhile.

-Fool

Witch_King
08-31-2001, 10:24 PM
You can have a computer DVD that is connected to TV output. Also, I watch movies on my PC all the time! I have movies that are not even out on video. Anyway, if you want you can email me your name and mailing address and I'll send you the introductory edition CD for MSVC++6

Fool
08-31-2001, 10:26 PM
Wow man, that is very cool of you. I'll shoot you an email in just a second. Thanks!

-Fool

Witch_King
08-31-2001, 10:36 PM
Your DVD needs are not covered because you have in you possesion the best damn compiler on earth, and you can't even use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fool
08-31-2001, 10:36 PM
LOL:D

-Fool