PDA

View Full Version : Salsa

Zach L.
01-11-2005, 07:17 PM
No... Not dancing... Food.
How do y'all like your salsa? Hot :D? Medium? Mild :mad:?
Somehow, mild salsa seems to really defeat the entire point... And it always tastes like tomato paste.

Yeah, I'm down to my last half jar of hot 505 Salsa, and there isn't another jar for 2000 miles. :( Truly the best stuff. :)

This concludes my random, fragmented thoughts for the moment.

Govtcheez
01-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Voted hot, but it's actually like halfway between medium and hot. I always thought hot things (hot sauce more than salsa, though) taste too vinegary the hotter they get. Like with a lot of those gimmick hot sauces - sure, they'll burn a hole in your throat, but they taste like ass.

But oh yeah, salsa - I'm not choosy, but I like a little more spice. :)

edit: wow, i can't spell for crap

MadCow257
01-11-2005, 07:23 PM
How do y'all like your salsa? Hot ? Medium? Mild ?
Medium, not too hot were it's uncomfortable, not too mild were it's bland.

Zach L.
01-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I don't like excessively vinegary stuff. (Though I can never get scrambled eggs to taste right without Tabasco sauce... perhaps that says more about my cooking skills, though.)

The 505 Salsa has it right:
- Flame Roasted Hatch Green Chiles :D :D :D
- Tomatoes
- Jalapeņos
- Garlic
- Lime Juice
- Salt

They didn't just put in tons of vinegar.

Govtcheez
01-11-2005, 07:27 PM
> perhaps that says more about my cooking skills, though

Or maybe it's the magic of hot sauce! :cool:

> They didn't just put in tons of vinegar.

Yeah, like I said it's usually more with hot sauces (Da Bomb or The Final Answer or those crazy ass things). I guess I've never really run into it much in salsas.

Kleid-0
01-11-2005, 07:32 PM
I like mild, it's still a little spicey ;)

gcn_zelda
01-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Food, I like it medium, but dancing... Hot's the best way to go :P

kermit
01-11-2005, 07:35 PM
I had a friend who was got me some sauce from a Thai store - the first bottle was free, I guess to hook me in ;) and then I had to pay after that. I got another friend hooked on it, then he got his dad and brother hooked on it... Anyway, it was nice and hot, but not vinegar-ish. That was nice. Then I went to the store to get some one day, and there was sauce all over the outside of the bottles, and the bottle I got was bad when I opened it. I tried with another bottle later, but it was the same story. That kind of sucked. You could put that stuff on almost anything...

~/

MethodMan
01-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I like mine hot, but I dont usually like big chunks of vegetables.

And I agree with Govtcheez, some hot sauces taste like absolute crap.

sean
01-11-2005, 09:21 PM
If it's mild, it's gotta be really chunky. If it's hot, I like it straight. Generally, I'm also somewhere between medium and hot.

Zach L.
01-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah... Its gotta be hot, but in the absence of a decent flavor, it is no good.
The green chile is definitely essential to a good salsa, though. ;)

Yoshi
01-12-2005, 02:01 AM
As hot as it gets.:D

It is not salsa when it's not hot.

Aerie
01-12-2005, 06:46 AM
Wasabi.

Mystic_Skies
01-12-2005, 07:58 AM
I just got back from New Orleans and I have to say I like it HOT! They have table set up in different places where you can sample around 20 different hot sauces that actually all taste different. Of course I felt sick the rest of the night after that.

Kleid-0
01-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Wait, is this a discussion on hot sauce, hot salsa, or hot sauce and hot salsa?

Govtcheez
01-12-2005, 08:06 AM
If Zach just wants it to be about salsa, it's up to him, since it's his thread, but I'd like to talk about both, if it's cool with him.

sand_man
01-12-2005, 08:07 AM
I like it hot but lately I've been getting IBS :)
lol

Darkness
01-12-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm a pansy, I really can't eat spicy food, and there's no option on the thread for 'i just eat the chips'

Govtcheez
01-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Is mild salsa even too hot for you? All I can usually taste with mild is tomato chunks and maybe a little but of pepper.

Zach L.
01-12-2005, 10:20 AM
If Zach just wants it to be about salsa, it's up to him, since it's his thread, but I'd like to talk about both, if it's cool with him.
But of course... Any hot sauce is fair game. :cool:
Which reminds me... My grandfather (in southern Louisiana) makes this awesome habenero hot sauce. Adds great spice to anything.

It is not salsa when it's not hot.
How true, how true. :)

Govtcheez
01-12-2005, 10:33 AM
In that case, anyone have any preferred hot sauces? My personal favorite is Cholula; a good little kick and it's got a great flavor. Also, the hot sauce I used in my fajita thread is great, but I can't remember the name. It also doesn't taste very good on anything but Mexican food.

ober
01-12-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm more along the lines of medium. I like to taste my food and if my mouth is numb, I can't hardly do that, now can I?

-KEN-
01-12-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm a medium man as well. Sort of spicy, but a bit on the blander side. I really just like the tomato more than anything.