PDA

View Full Version : My new website !!

Brain Cell
01-09-2005, 09:01 PM
hello everyone,

I've just finished making my new website (or lets say my first REAL website). It mainly revolves around programming (C\C++ to be specific) so it'll have source codes , my own programs and my tutorials , and not personal stuff as the name implies.(I'ts still not 100% complete btw)

anyway , i wrote a tutorial on bad programming practices in C wich is located here :

http://www.mashhoor.ws/bpc.html

and i need some productive criticism on it. If you could find any misconception(s) or technical error(s) then please let me know about it . I'll give you credit . (although im almost 100% sure about what i wrote).

Also let me know if you think there are other "bad programming practices" that should be added to the list. (or adding more to an existing bad practice).

And finally , what do you guys think about my site's design in general? :)

Thanks for your time..

Kleid-0
01-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Hey that's pretty cool! I like your website's design. You might want to change the logo from Site Launched 10 01 05 to a really sweet logo. And then you're golden ;) . I really like how you share the source, keep it up soldier! :)

Brain Cell
01-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for your kind reply Kleid , it cheered me up :)

And that Site launched .. pic isn't actually my site's logo. I'm just putting it there temporarily untill i finish making the actual logo.

linuxdude
01-09-2005, 09:29 PM
why are your
#include &ltstdio.h> like the way they are?

Brain Cell
01-09-2005, 09:35 PM
oops , that shows as '<stdio.h>' in explorer. Thanks for pointing that out :)

i'll fix it now

*EDIT* fixed

sean
01-09-2005, 09:58 PM
why are your
Code:
#include &ltstdio.h>like the way they are?

In case you were asking what the &lt is, it's an "escape character" of sorts for HTML, standing for <.

Nice clean design, Brain Cell.

Thantos
01-09-2005, 09:59 PM
actually its not fixed. there shouldn't be spaces around < >. You fix it change &lt to &lt; and &gt to &gt;

Brain Cell
01-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks sean :)

actually its not fixed. there shouldn't be spaces around < >. You fix it change &lt to &lt; and &gt to &gt;
And i was wondering how to do it without spaces . Thanks.

ober
01-10-2005, 10:17 AM
It's kinda boring and there is quite a bit of white space. You should really try to dress it up a bit.

algi
01-10-2005, 01:04 PM
You're website is really good, it's the kind I like, it loads fast, isn't busy and doesn't have loads of detail in it. It's really easy to browze through without getting lost aswell

-KEN-
01-10-2005, 01:21 PM
It's kinda boring and there is quite a bit of white space. You should really try to dress it up a bit.

Hello my name is whproductions.com how are you.

Jez
01-10-2005, 01:29 PM
This is all about this tutorial. If you need to contact me to correct some errors/typos/misconseption

I think you'll find that's spelled misconception. Kind of ironic :)
There are a few other spelling mistakes too.

I like the style though, I would disagree with Ober, that clean style you have is easy to work with. ( and quicker to load if you're on dial-up I should say). I find animated GIF's and Flash etc just distract.

There are some places where the wording isn't too good, sentences a bit long. Because it's a technical page, try to keep it concise. My bible on this is "Writing Technical Reports" by Bruce M. Cooper. See if you can find a copy, it's well worth a look.

ober
01-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Hello my name is whproductions.com how are you.
I don't have a tutorial site, now do I? I don't expect a lot of repeat customers spending time reading and getting something out of my site. It is a business card. :fu:

gcn_zelda
01-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Nice, clean, concise design, Brain Cell. I like your lack of embedded music :P

It needs some pizzaz, though. Something to make it unique, something to make it not boring. Something like...

Fajitas!

Just add some style to it, and it'll be perfect.

Brain Cell
01-10-2005, 07:52 PM
I think you'll find that's spelled misconception. Kind of ironic
There are a few other spelling mistakes too.

There are some places where the wording isn't too good, sentences a bit long. Because it's a technical page, try to keep it concise. My bible on this is "Writing Technical Reports" by Bruce M. Cooper. See if you can find a copy, it's well worth a look.I went through the tutorial again to find about 4 spelling mistakes and fixed them, i hope there aren't any now.

btw , English isn't my native language , and i tried my best in that tutorial , but i'll see if i can make it any better. I'll check that book , too .. thanks

You should really try to dress it up a bit.
Just add some style to it, and it'll be perfect.I'm still learning CSS (and maybe learn javascript to add some interactivity) , so i'll update the design once im done. :)

Nice, clean, concise design, Brain Cell. I like your lack of embedded music :Plol , someone will surely find that offensive :p

It needs some pizzaz, though. Something to make it unique, something to make it not boring. Something like...

Fajitas!I wouldn't mind Govtcheez helping me on this one ;)

Thanks for replying ober , algi, Jez and gc_zelda :)

XSquared
01-10-2005, 08:53 PM
For practice #4, I believe that the newline character comes before the null character.

Brain Cell
01-10-2005, 09:37 PM
fixed . Thank you so much

Zach L.
01-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Smacking someone's forehead with a hammer can kill him , but that doesn't mean hammers were built to kill people.
Nice. :cool:

Oh... On #1, I'd beat in the point that 'void main' is not and has never been standard just a bit more. ;)

Philandrew
01-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Not bad for a first website, not bad at all :)

(I was honestly expecting a neon green background with white text and embedded, looping music...shoulda known better from these forums!)

Brain Cell
01-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Oh... On #1, I'd beat in the point that 'void main' is not and has never been standard just a bit more.
I forgot to mention that , thanks :)

PING
01-11-2005, 12:46 PM
nice site brain cell..try to add a bit of color.otherwise,its really nice.liked it.

Kleid-0
01-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey I like your new logo! Nice job!

Brain Cell
01-14-2005, 03:11 AM
Thanks Kleid.

I redesigned the site and made a better layout (i hope it doesn't look\feel empty anymore).

(refresh the page if you still see the old site)

ober
01-14-2005, 07:13 AM
110% improvement!! That looks great :)

SourceCode
01-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Very Nice!:) I love your layout. I have been working on my home page also but I am redoing everything using latex for my math symbols and after seeing yours I think I will redo the whole thing now. Your website is just so nice, I love it. I also like the color coding for the difficulty levels of the source code, that is neat:).