PDA

View Full Version : Attention all musicians…

Fordy
08-31-2001, 12:59 PM
Just wondering… I know a few on this board play guitar Doubleanti, Taylorguitarman (well I assumed so….) and of course the erstwhile Sunlight. I used to play in school – not seriously though just for fun. And I still goof around now and again.

I was just curious who else plays guitar or any other instrument?

What type of music do you play?

Have you published anything?

What’s your set-up?

ehsiq
08-31-2001, 04:20 PM
i play the piano , well, not very well but i am learning.
we had a black metal group with some friends some years ago
but i started listen to baroque music...
j. s. bach rules.

Fordy
08-31-2001, 04:22 PM
Black Metal to Bach - one hell of a diverse taste in music!!!

doubleanti
08-31-2001, 04:52 PM
jazz! mellow smooth jazz... i use d'arrio [spelling...] 10s... smooth, i'd get some 11s, but i only have three springs on my floyd-rose style tremolo... i don't hear much jazz which particular features the guitar... but when i hear that guy, you know, the one you see at your local guitar center, that plays all those smooth crazy chromatic doodling... and you're like 'gawk'... and s/he's got technical mastery, but doesn't show it off [like you might in, uhh, rougher, music...]... been playing since i was 12... i got my guitar at a computer show, ironically... and it only cost [my dad] eighty dollars... with a fender plush case... i realize it's not a jazz players guitar, per se, but i also play blues and rock too...

[edited once]

oh, i mean to say, the guitar i use right now i got at the show... my first guitar was a les paul style carlo robelli... we had to replace the neck pickup, but we redid the wiring for coil taps... i should replace the bridge pickup on my new one, er, 'new' that is... with a stacked humbucker... we'll see...

Fordy
08-31-2001, 05:00 PM
Ive got a beatup strat, and I use 10s. I find them quite heavy, and wouldnt want to go any higher right now. Some of the guitarists I love used fenders with high gauges (I think Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan did anyway), but it must have been hard going for them. I know from videos of SRV that the guy looked in utter pain when he hit those high bends and that he did have real problems with his hands due to his playing. Cool player though.....

Aran
08-31-2001, 05:01 PM
i play drums quite well for my age (15)... second best in my school (7-12 grade).

In fact, the junior who is 1st has a band (Man of Strength) that has been approached by a representative from a big record company... i don't know any further info though

I mainly do rock type stuff with heavier bass... swing is mostly annoying unless i can do something with a shuffle or quarter notes on the ride.

whatever.

doubleanti
08-31-2001, 05:22 PM
oh yeah... blues players use like, 12s or 13s with high action... i just can't take it... i remember reading an article in GW with BB King, and he said something like he felt like playing with toys when he used some 9s... that's nuts... oh, and i'm only 18 or so D'darrio packs away from getting the chair baby!!! :) i know my brother had an Ultimate Chorus one time and it was very clean... i just use whatever i can, but i know that i sound and play alot better when i use my dads gear though, their amps are always cleaner then mine... but wahtever, i have fun... it's rewarding...

hey fordy... where else could i get the springs for my tremolo? at Carvin or Guitar Center they are quite expensive... maybe a local hardware store??? thanks. oh, and my favorite band, of the newer stuff, is Soundgarden... well, early nineties at least, i don't like any of the new stuff i don't like how the sound has changed... it's funny because i don't end up playing what i like to listen to... but if i ever got an SG like Kim Thayil's, how would that sound?! well, sounds good man... see ya...

Fordy
08-31-2001, 05:35 PM
>>Carvin or Guitar Center they are quite expensive... maybe a local hardware store???

::Shudder:: I dont think anything from a hardware store would be alright on a floyd rose. They are tricky buggers to setup.

>>oh, and my favorite band, of the newer stuff, is Soundgarden

Oh cool - I tried to see them live in about 94. but the show got cancelled. I thought they died out after "down on the upside". Which was a pity as I quite liked that album. I also loved Alice in Chains.

>>but if i ever got an SG like Kim Thayil's, how would that sound

I remember an interview with Kim after Badmotorfinger, and he was saying how he got that weird sound on Slaves & Bulldozers - you know the feedback sound at the start. Anyway he said he put his guitar in front of an amp with full volume until he got a good feedback, and then he blew on the strings to get the sound he was after - weird huh?

doubleanti
08-31-2001, 05:56 PM
man! i never got to see them live!!! ack... i like AIC too... and i love STP as well... they are the last of the bands that have survived the era that i liked... i've always said that if i was five years older, then i'd have fit in just fine... [std refrence to flannels...] yeah they did break up... but it was with a bang so...

i love Chris' singing, he's so much like Robert Plant don'cha think? they did a cover of Communication Breakdown... it's soo weird!!! he sounds just like him... oh, i also love the singer from Heart... [ref to post on old board...]

yeah, too bad i suppose, i really want to try 11s...

nebie
08-31-2001, 06:28 PM
I have a beautiful sounding 12 string rickenbacker. It has a nice jangly sound

Fordy
08-31-2001, 06:32 PM
>>I have a beautiful sounding 12 string rickenbacker

I love the old bases they used to do.

doubleanti
08-31-2001, 07:07 PM
hey peter buck rocks! [uhh, speaking of rickenbackers...] i've never played one though... hmmm... REM is one of my other favorite bands... well i can't really list them or put them in any sort of order... [what musician can?...] oh, and i listened to physical graffiti recently, and you'd be surprised how much it was reminscent, after not having listened to custard pie for so long... hehe... rock on guys!

mithrandir
08-31-2001, 08:52 PM
I've been playing the guitar for about 2 years or so. I've just got a basic acoustic six-sting which I bash around on (can't afford anything else at the moment :()

Type of music...gee, anything from Bob Marley to Sepultura (pretty diverse tasts in music I know!). My favourite stuff to play is anything by Pink Floyd, Tool, and Rage Against the Machine (Tom is an underrated guitarist!)

Generator
08-31-2001, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Fordy
Just wondering… I know a few on this board play guitar Doubleanti, Taylorguitarman (well I assumed so….) and of course the erstwhile Sunlight. I used to play in school – not seriously though just for fun. And I still goof around now and again.

I was just curious who else plays guitar or any other instrument?

What type of music do you play?

Have you published anything?

What’s your set-up?

Ive been playing guitar for about 4 years now. I play punk/alternative stuff on my electric POS guitar (Washburn Oscarschmidt) and do alot of finger picking and song writing on the acoustics I have. Ive just bought a deadly 12 string acoustic, it sounds wicked. I need to find a band. If I could get into a professional band I would but im stuck working my desk job...for now.

doubleanti
08-31-2001, 09:34 PM
while generator starts his *cough* hair *cough* band... [just kidding... no offense... remember the Thimble!] i'll say that i think that Tom is rated quite well... where do you get your opinion of him? he was even a columnist for GW... i don't remember if he still is... haven't read it in a while... but nonetheless... that is interesting...

ooh!!! i love Piper... and i think the Wall is overrated... :p

iain
09-01-2001, 02:55 PM
i play electric and acoustic guitar. I have tried bass aswell but didnt like it. My main instrument is an Aria pro six string electric with floyd rose locking trem.

ehsiq
09-01-2001, 03:39 PM
hey fordy...
diverse taste in music?
taste in music is something that i do not want to discuse right
now...
still....try to listen to emperor..(not the vocals, the quitars and the
keys...divine music...try "anthems to the welkien at dusk")
also....
try bach...you cannot relax...it is too strong.
you have to look out for all the paranoic violins and violas....
they are hunting you for ever() once you hear them!

basilisk
09-01-2001, 03:57 PM
I play sax (soprano sax and alto) but havent played properly for a few years (was in a band at Uni) - music wise i like the stereophonics, super furry animals and radiohead

iain
09-01-2001, 05:00 PM
Radiohead, pink floyd, nirvana, 60's rock, 70's and 80' rock, dance, classical, blues. The only thing i refuse to listen to at a ll costs is rap!

doubleanti
09-01-2001, 11:40 PM
Piper yah! and the Doors i like too... and Soundgarden!!! uh... how about country iain? *giggles*... ahem... :) oh, and i love Fake Plastic Trees [by Radiohead]...

Sebastiani
09-02-2001, 12:52 AM
Ah, the bravado of Ranchero Music with it's infusive rythm..the Cumbias and the Ballads, the haunting spirit of primitive indian and spanish cultures intermixed and interwoven in a sad yet happy tale...those horns! The accordians crying like babies and rough men singing high and crying "!Ai hai!", sometimes dressed in imperial looking uniforms decorated down the seams bright gold or silver!..."?Que Pasa Hombre? A si es!"
out from 'neath a broad sombrero!

When I was growing up in Houston, there was an insurgance of the Mariachi phenomena in our nehborhoods. Sundays and Wednesdays were the chosen days because of the Roman Catholic practice of attending church those days--so they were in the choirs - or weddings(also planned those days)- dinners and private parties, all times of the day one would notice several families on the block enlisting something like 6 brothers 5 uncles 3 nefews and 4 year old Juan Alberto Collazo-Gonzales on the miniature trumpet all out in their front lawns rehearsing songs that have been sung many times before. And they are faithfully reproduced with the candor and sharpness of the Conquistadore!

But I also like some blues jazz classical classic 80's music informal jams gypsy music homegrown bands(non-touring "old-friends" bands)...many others...

Unlike Stevie Ray Vaughn, I think Jimi Hendrix prefered "super-lite" gauged strings. He earned the nick-names "Slow Hand Jimmy" and "Smooth Hand Jimmy" (before he was "Jimi") back in '62 and '63! However, he was known to replace the lower few strings with super-heavy's for roadhouse blues and stuff.

I have some ancient stuff of him--can't stand it much anymore, though...

Fordy
09-02-2001, 03:41 AM
Unlike Stevie Ray Vaughn, I think Jimi Hendrix prefered "super-lite" gauged strings. He earned the nick-names "Slow Hand Jimmy" and "Smooth Hand Jimmy" (before he was "Jimi") back in '62 and '63! However, he was known to replace the lower few strings with super-heavy's for roadhouse blues and stuff.

Yeah? I didn't know that..
Jimi & SRV are probably my favourite guitarists of all time. Both genius's both died horribly.

I have some ancient stuff of him--can't stand it much anymore, though...

Yeah I've heard stuff from the early days and I didn't think much of it. I really like some of the stuff he did in the latter part of his short career (Angel, Midnight, Ezy Rider....)

Witch_King
09-02-2001, 04:11 AM
I used to play a harmonica when I was a kid. I also had a flute. One thing that I wouldn't mind doing is learning how to play the fiddle. haha.

Sebastiani
09-03-2001, 02:41 AM
Man my wife's family has some fiddlers and banjo players that can play very fast "Devil Down in Georgia" type stuff. But man - just TRY and talk about something with these guys! They just don't like to talk theory. Dialog:
Me:"So, Tim, I hear you ride bulls? That must be dangerous?"
Tim: "Well, I reckon- but I jist ride 'em. Hell-sometimes I gotta kick them suckers if they ain't buckin' high enough. "
Me:"yes, of course."

Harmonicas are fun, too. The only thing I can play on one is one little part in a Beatles song.

taylorguitarman
09-03-2001, 09:25 AM
Of course I play guitar. And a Taylor at that. My baby is a K414, entirely Koa. I've had that for about 3 years now and she's opening up quite nicely.
I originaly started as an electric player with a jackson/charvell mut guitar, playing hard rock. Then I got into a country groove for a while and picked up an american standard sunburst tele, along with a pedal steel guitar (talk about hard to play). My father is a big classical/acoustic player and bought me my Taylor for high school graduation and I've been playing acoustic, mostly, ever since. I still like to play blues though every once in a while.
I did put together a mut strat guitar from pieces that has humbuckers with coil taps on them. It looks ugly but plays beautifully. We've got about 20 guitars in our house so I've grown up rather spoiled.
My dad is a good friend of the builder so here's a plug.
check out www.olsonguitars.com we've got two of them.
I play mostly instrumental acoustic stuff like Kottke and Legg and a little bit of clapton (well, robert johnson to be technical). I have produced two of my own CDs that friends have regarded as good study music or bed time music. I listen to all sorts of music but it has to have good guitar parts in it.

Note:
I think it's sad that many players limit themselves to one sort of music. (most likely rock) What many young players never realize is that many of the great rock guitar players have spent time playing classical music along with other styles.
My father once told me if you want to become a great guitar player don't learn a particular style but learn to play guitar.

That well more than my two cents.

Aran
09-03-2001, 10:49 AM
Emerson Lake and Palmer all of the way, man!

you can't beat keith emerson's spectacular keyboards, carl palmers crazy rhythms on drums and don't forget about Greg Lake (who can sing the best of any male singers that where very popular that i know of (besides opera)).

right now i'm into Oasis, Our Lady Peace, and the early Smash Mouoth stuff (Fush Yu Mang).

Cheeze-It
09-03-2001, 02:43 PM
I diddle with the guitar...

("diddle" isn't a word...)

By the way, Nirvana is the best band ever...

Esss
09-03-2001, 04:06 PM
Ah, finally an off-topic subject with merit.

> Emerson Lake and Palmer all of the way, man!

Yes, but their later stuff is far better - 'In the Hot Seat' is worth buying for 'Daddy' alone. The Magna Carta tribute is great in places, especially where Wetton sings.

> and i think the Wall is overrated...

Gilmour is the master of that kind of slow, melodic almost-but-not-quite-bluesy solo that's all over the Wall (and which The Final Cut missed so badly). He's not a technical master, but just listen to 'The Fletcher Memorial Home'. It's for the same reason that Steve Rothery (circa 1987-1995) is one of the greatest guitarists in the world.

> What many young players never realize is that many of the great rock guitar players have spent time playing classical music along with other styles.

Very true. Listen to Steve Howe; there's an amazing combination of styles there. Steve Hackett, likewise.

Er, yes. Guitars. I have an Ibanez JEM (the Steve Vai model), an Ibanez RG-502 and a Tanglewood semi-acoustic. With a VG-8, Zoom 8080 and a Marshall VS-265. And a GR-33 coming tomorrow (hopefully). Plus an XP-10. Oh, I love musical instruments... I play mostly prog-rock/metal things, usually fairly esoteric; Dream Theater, Rush, the aforementioned John Wetton, IQ, etc.

novacain
09-03-2001, 11:01 PM
/*
Some of the guitarists I love used fenders with high gauges (I think Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan did anyway), but it must have been hard going for them
*/
Yea, but they tuned the strings down a half step to get the big bends.
Hendrix played right hand guitars upside down so he could get at the controls while playing.

Dick Dale (best known now for the sound track to Pulp Fiction)plays real heavy guages, saw him break picks playing live!

As for Gilmore, he is a great. Listen to the way he is all over a lick, yet silky smooth into all the bends.

No one has mentioned "Creedence Clear Water Revival".

I play guitar, have for 14 years. Have a handmade 'MATON' acoustic. The worn out ones are all on my walls including 12 string, electric and classical!

rick barclay
09-04-2001, 05:53 AM
I played guitar a few years before I got married. Gave it
up, though. I was strictly a blues jammer in the key of
C. Any time I tried to learn anything else, I'd trip all over
myself. I love electric guitars. They are sooooo sweet. The Blues
rulz. Check out the blues boy music station on your Real
player for the best blues in cyber space.

Aroung 1976 I was working as a construction laborer in
Williamsburg, Va. making $45 a day--more money than I had ever
made before in my life. One day with about $300 in my
pocket, I walked into this music store and asked the guy there
what he had in the way of guitars. He pulls out a 1957 Les
Paul electric and says, "This here's a good guitar." (Understatement of the ages.) The serial number was still
very legible, and it was mint. It had its original humbuckers.
I bought it for $250. Can somebody tell me what a guitar
like that might be worth today? And no, I don't have it. What I
did to it would make some of you musicians out there shake your
heads at my stupidity. I'll give you a hint--I'm left handed.
Anyway, after I ruined it, it was stolen by some junkie and
pawned in NYC. I think of that guitar often and wonder how
much cash that thing must have been worth had I taken
proper care of it.

rick barclay

Fordy
09-04-2001, 06:39 AM
>>1957 Les Paul

Not too sure of the exact price, but if it was still around in that condition today it would be worth a tidy sum (to say the least). Guitars like that are very desireable.

>>it was stolen by some junkie and pawned in NYC.

Its heartbreaking when some scumbag steals something you cherish and disposes of it in such a casual manner.

btw, how did you know he pawned it? Did you manage to trace it or are you guessing?

Cheeze-It
09-04-2001, 09:16 AM
Hey rick barclay,

1957 Gibson Les Paul Custom on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1461802718

Current price: 2,550.00 (reserve not yet met)
Number of bids: 12

I'm sure that's depressing.

Govtcheez
09-04-2001, 09:20 AM
That's depressing to me, static, and I don't even know the first thing about guitars. I don't have a ton to add here, except to say that the current CEO of Gibson went to my school (www.kettering.edu) and donated a very nice acoustics lab recently.

rick barclay
09-04-2001, 12:00 PM
>btw, how did you know he pawned it? Did you manage to trace it or are you guessing?<

No. I know who stole it. The chance of revenge never presented
itself, and I really have no proof, only someone's trusty word.

>1957 Gibson Les Paul Custom on ebay:

Current price: 2,550.00 (reserve not yet met)
Number of bids: 12 <

My guess is it's an obvious fake. And it most definitely isn't
all original. In the very, very first place, I would never put
an early Les Paul up for sale on EBay. I'd go to Lloyd's of
London or Chrisitie's or Sothby's to have it appraised.

That thing on EBay strikes me as a fake, though, serial
number or not, and it's the same type of serial that was on
the guitar that I bought. It looks way too new. You could
tell mine was old just by looking at it. And there's no way
in my humble thoughts that an early Les Paul is going to
sell for a motley Twenty-five hundred bucks.

Another thing that gnaws at me about that EBay guitar is the
style. That's not a 1957 style. Mine had no pick guard, only
two pick ups, and no ivory inlaid fret board. I mean, we're
talking 1957 here. Via Con Dios. Peter, Paul, and Mary music
was the thing. My guitar was very business-like, just a plain
varnished blond cherrywood (I think) guitar. To offer $2,550.
for something like that is an insult. I've been told by one
self-styled musician that I probably threw away $50,000.:eek: !

rick barclay

Pendragon
09-04-2001, 05:45 PM
Owch. That's a lot of money for a guitar.

My fourpenneth...
Flautist by trade. Oboeist/Clarinetist/Bassoonist/Pianist if required in my local orchestra. Guitarist only in my now soundproof bedroom. Synths with new local band. GDB on repairs.

Marillion, Meat Loaf, and Mozart. Brilliant.
Progressive Rock, Rock and Classical.

Aran
09-04-2001, 06:03 PM
were you/are you an ELP fan?
also, where you caught up in the Oasis craze? i just discovered thm recently and listen to their stuff alot now.

rick barclay
09-05-2001, 06:51 AM
>Owch. That's a lot of money for a guitar.<

It's not the guitar, per se; it's the name behind the
guitar and the age and condition of the guitar. Les Paul is given credit
for inventing the electric guitar. I might be wrong, but
the year he invented it was near 1956. That makes any
documented 1957 Les Paul guitar very early in the production
scheme and consequently potentially very valuable both
monetarily and historically, certainly worth more than
$2550.00, or whatever that fraud on Ebay finally sells for, IMO.
That guitar looks mose like a 1967 model than 57.

rick barclay

rick barclay
09-05-2001, 06:59 AM
>were you/are you an ELP fan?
also, where you caught up in the Oasis craze? i just discovered thm recently and listen to their stuff alot now.<

Yeah, ELP was great--and LOUD. I liked Oasis, but I
never thought they were anything earth shattering.
Nobody in my crowd liked the Beatles, either, at first.
But when Sgt. Pepper made the scene--now that's what
I call earth shattering.

rick barclay