PDA

View Full Version : Instant Death

The Brain
01-03-2005, 01:22 AM
I saw this (http://www.webtender.com/db/drink/1343) recipie for a tasty beverage.. it is quite deliscious.

Instant Death
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:
3 oz Bacardi 151 proof rum
3 oz Everclear
3 oz Jägermeister
5 oz Water
1 dash Salt
Mixing instructions:
Put in all alcohol first and water last, then salt

RoD
01-03-2005, 01:41 AM
bleh ill take my everclear straight thank you.

Thnis is going into my bartender proggie

Govtcheez
01-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Good god that sounds terrible

Darkness
01-03-2005, 07:17 AM
i just take straight shots of hard stuff. but, that's just because im cool and you should look up to me.

Zach L.
01-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Just out of curiosity, why is it that people like to drink so much? I can understand in some specific cases, but I've never quite understood why people would generally want to.

"A pub? Ah yes... A place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence through the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable juice!" - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Govtcheez
01-03-2005, 09:41 AM
> Just out of curiosity, why is it that people like to drink so much? I can understand in some specific cases, but I've never quite understood why people would generally want to.

I like the taste, I like bars, and it's a nice way to unwind.

Zach L.
01-03-2005, 09:45 AM
>> I like the taste, I like bars, and it's a nice way to unwind.

Hmm... I think I wrote the question wrong. Its not so much a "why would anyone ever consume such $%^#?" as I agree that the taste (at least in some cases) is rather enjoyable, and it is a good way to unwind (though, such can easily be done without drinking in excess). What I don't understand is why people like to get completely smashed.

Note, I'm not criticizing anyone's choices or anything, I am honestly curious.

Cheers

Govtcheez
01-03-2005, 09:47 AM
> What I don't understand is why people like to get completely smashed.

Ah, I see now. I don't really have a good answer for that. Sometimes it's nice to not have worry about controlling yourself. My New Years was a good example about that. I don't do that very often - once every few months or so.

edit: Although I have no idea why someone would want to drink this "Instant Death" drink - sounds terrible.

The Brain
01-03-2005, 01:07 PM
don't knock it until you try it. ;)

Govtcheez
01-03-2005, 01:23 PM
With a name like that, how can I resist! :)

(Everclear's illegal in this state AFAIK, and I really don't like liquor, so I'll just pass, thanks)

axon
01-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Even though it does sound pretty nasty, I will try it as well :)

>>Everclear's illegal in this state AFAIK<<

I'm not sure if its illegal here, but if I need it I get SPIRYTUS - same strength :)

>>What I don't understand is why people like to get completely smashed.<<

what can I say, sometimes it just happens :p I don't understand people who get completely drunk, puke, pass out and then lay in bed for the next two days - now thats just stupid :) thankfully I don't have any of those side effects (well, maybe passing out)...

hk_mp5kpdw
01-03-2005, 01:48 PM
This reminds me... has anyone ever used those pills (forgot what they are called) you are suppossed to be able to take before you go out drinking? You know, the ones that prevent any hangover effects the next day. I was just curious to know if they worked.

Govtcheez
01-03-2005, 01:52 PM
I tried them once, but the night I took them I didn't drink much.

Didn't have a hangover the next day, though! :)

RoD
01-03-2005, 02:33 PM
you mean chaser? If you take them the way your supposed too they work like a charm.

hk_mp5kpdw
01-03-2005, 02:42 PM
you mean chaser? If you take them the way your supposed too they work like a charm.

Yes, that sounds like what I remember them being called on some radio/TV commercial. I never get drunk enough to really have bad hangovers, but I was wondering for people that do go out and get completely wasted/smashed if they had tried this and it helped them. So what's the deal, you take them a couple hours before going out drinking and then no problems the next morning?

Darkness
01-03-2005, 02:46 PM
i've been getting absolutely hammered like every night whlie i've been home. i do it for several reasons:

-i have nothing else to do
-i like altering my state of mind without having to smoke
-i say really, really, really funny things when im drunk
-i don't drink all that much at school...i usually just do work

and it's just all around relaxing and stuff.

RoD
01-03-2005, 02:47 PM
yea you pop em a set amount of time before you start, than one a few hours after u start and bammo, no hangover.

B0bDole
01-03-2005, 05:33 PM
>This reminds me... has anyone ever used those pills (forgot what they are called) you are >suppossed to be able to take before you go out drinking?

Hang-overs aren't really what bother me (no matter how bad). It's not remembering ANYTHING from the night before that really bothers me, I wish there was a pill for that. So many un-answered questions would be answered.

Darkness
01-03-2005, 05:42 PM
so you don't remember being my cheap date that one night? i thought you cared about me! I THOUGHT WE WERE IN LOVE!!

The Brain
01-04-2005, 06:27 AM
darkness>> does your altered state of mind help with night terrors at all by any chance

Darkness
01-04-2005, 09:09 AM
well i haven't had 'night terrors' since i was a child, now it's really just chronic 'i can't friggin get to sleep' (technically insomnia but i don't like the sound of that), and if i pass out then yeah, i guess in that case the booze helps.

and no, i don't take ambien when i've been drinking (actually, the past few nights i haven't been drinking at all and i've just been taking half-doses of ambien, and running between 2-3 miles a day at my old high school's track).

JaWiB
01-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Sometimes I wonder if people realize that they can actually die from drinking (and not just in car accidents). There is such a thing as alcohol poisoning! And besides that, your liver probably doesn't like it too much.

But I guess I shouldn't talk--I've never been drunk...

axon
01-04-2005, 06:11 PM
If I thought about everything that could make me die, what would I end up with??

RoD
01-04-2005, 06:23 PM
one crappy life story

MadCow257
01-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Really, your going to die anyways, and if you don't crash from drunk driving or overdose then it's not going to shorten your life that much (if at all).

Thantos
01-04-2005, 06:26 PM
[quote=rod]you mean chaser? If you take them the way your supposed too they work like a charm.[/quote[
Yes, that sounds like what I remember them being called on some radio/TV commercial. I never get drunk enough to really have bad hangovers, but I was wondering for people that do go out and get completely wasted/smashed if they had tried this and it helped them. So what's the deal, you take them a couple hours before going out drinking and then no problems the next morning?

Wait I thought chasers was another drink (usally soft) that you took after a drink. You know you chase one drink with another....

I can't really see how a pill would work considering that the major cause of hang overs is really just dehydration.

hk_mp5kpdw
01-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Sometimes I wonder if people realize that they can actually die from drinking (and not just in car accidents). There is such a thing as alcohol poisoning!

Yep, there is even such a thing as water intoxication (hyponatremia (http://altmedicine.allinfo-about.com/features/waterintox.html)). Drinking too much water can kill you just like drinking too much alcohol.

What are the symptoms of water intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. This causes the serum sodium concentration to drop (hyponatremia). When the fluid outside the cells becomes diluted, additional water enters the cells by osmosis, as the cells try to match the internal and external electrolyte concentration. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

Just about too much of anything can kill.

Wait I thought chasers was another drink (usally soft) that you took after a drink. You know you chase one drink with another....

I can't really see how a pill would work considering that the major cause of hang overs is really just dehydration.

Found this website (http://www.doublechaser.com/) explaining about the "chaser" pills and how they supposedly work. Here's a bit of info off of that site:

The primary cause of a hangover is congeners. These are byproducts of the fermentation process that gives alcoholic beverages flavor, aroma and color. These elements reach your bloodstream and trigger a reaction in your body. Tolerance to congeners varies. Some people suffer very little while others can't enjoy one beer or glass of wine without suffering from a splitting headache. Most people fall somewhere in between.

Our natural ingredients prevent hangover by attracting and absorbing congeners using activated calcium carbonate and charcoal. You can completely counteract the negative effects of alcohol abuse.

Chaser does not prevent intoxication or absorb alcohol. We recommend that you drink in moderation and drink responsibly. Two caplets last for three hours of drinking, or for up to six drinks. If you drink over a longer period, or more than six drinks, take two more caplets.

Govtcheez
01-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Sometimes I wonder if people realize that they can actually die from drinking (and not just in car accidents). There is such a thing as alcohol poisoning! And besides that, your liver probably doesn't like it too much.Holy crap, alcohol's not that great for me when I drink a lot of it? Goodness gracious! :eek:
Yep, there is even such a thing as water intoxication (hyponatremia).I've had that before. It's actually really scary; I didn't have it as bad as tissue swelling or anything, but you start getting cold from the inside out and can't get warm no matter how hard you try. I guess I've been closer to dying due to water than alcohol.
The primary cause of a hangover is congeners.I don't know that's it's the "primary cause", but impurities do hurt a lot, yeah. That's why people get worse hangovers from sugary drinks than, say, vodka, which is really pure if it's decent. I usually drink a bunch of water and take a vitamin before I go to bed, which helps a lot.

axon
01-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Gatorade (orange) works wonders as well.

JaWiB
01-04-2005, 07:42 PM
I wasn't saying anyone here specifically doesn't realize that alcohol can kill. I actually had in mind a story I read about a college student who drank a large amount of alcohol in a short time (at a party) and died from alcohol poisoning.

And yes, I'm aware that drinking too much water can kill you. But from what I've read drinking beer can also cause hyponatraemia, and it has more risks than drinking a lot of water...

MadCow257
01-04-2005, 08:27 PM
I was going to write a message but I might get injured...

Govtcheez
01-04-2005, 08:50 PM
> But from what I've read drinking beer can also cause hyponatraemia

Considering water's the major ingredient in beer, I suppose you're technically correct, but I think the person would either pass out or die of alcohol poisoning before ever getting anything like that.

hk_mp5kpdw
01-05-2005, 01:34 PM
> But from what I've read drinking beer can also cause hyponatraemia

Considering water's the major ingredient in beer, I suppose you're technically correct, but I think the person would either pass out or die of alcohol poisoning before ever getting anything like that.

Isn't alcohol a diuretic? That is, doesn't it make you pee? If so I would think it difficult (impossible?) to get hyponatremia drinking beer. It's kinda self regulating in a way: drink beer->more water->diuretic effect of beer->urination->less water. :)

Now maybe non-alcoholic beer... watch out!!!! :) :)

Govtcheez
01-05-2005, 01:42 PM
I subscribe to the "breaking the seal" school of thought. I think alcohol's only a diurectic if you let it be one by peeing the first time. Then again, "if you don't pee you won't pee" isn't stellar reasoning.

Let's test the theory sometime.

> Now maybe non-alcoholic beer... watch out!!!!

My boss at my last company drank that. He was ultra-religious and was totally against alcohol but enjoyed the taste of beer (I don't know how he developed a taste for it while being against drinking, but he was weird). He actually drank that swill for the taste. I dunno, man, I consider myself pretty open-minded when it comes to beer, but that's a little extreme for me.

gcn_zelda
01-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Sounds like Sean.

axon
01-05-2005, 01:56 PM
but Cheez, don't you drink beer for taste? I certainly do - I rather drink beer than pop - tastes much better to me.

Govtcheez
01-05-2005, 02:02 PM
I definitely drink beer for taste, but I can't imagine drinking, say, O'Douls for taste. For that matter, since it has almost no alcohol, I can't imagine why you'd drink it at all.

edit: I have 5 different kinds of beer in my fridge right now :)

Thantos
01-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Beer tastes pretty bad unless its with something like a nice rare stake. When I drink beer its to get alcohol in my system per and simple. I drink mixed drinks, wine coolers and the like, or some stright liquors if I want taste. Though I do draw the line at any dink that has a dumb sounding name (Like the one in the OP)

Govtcheez
01-05-2005, 02:39 PM
I know you've heard a thousand times before, but beer is an acquired taste. I started off drinking so I could get drunk, and by the time I realized you could drink to do something other than get trashed, I had developed a taste for it. Now, I love trying new beers just for the taste. There's a bar near me with a huge selection and whenever I go I'll try 4-5 different ones. Not enough to get me drunk, but to have a nice light buzz and get the experience of trying new tastes. There are beers that can go with almost anything.

axon
01-05-2005, 03:31 PM
I also drink beer solely for the taste.... I drink hard liquor to get drunk :D

oh cheez have you tried Moretti La Rossa? its italian, and its pretty decent. BTW, I've just done shoveling snow (we got about a foot) and I should make myself some hot beer with cinamon...mmmmmmmm

Govtcheez
01-05-2005, 04:04 PM
No, I haven't. I'm a big fan of American Micros. Actually, looking at my bottle collection, there's only one bottle up there that's not made in 'merica, and I wasn't even the one who drank it.

I've got a couple venison steaks I'm making up tonight. I'm going to be having them with a Harpoon IPA. Never had it before, but I'm upset that I only have one of them anyway. All of my other beer right now are whites (and some bud light, but that's "get drunk beer" not "enjoy with some steak" beer).

Darkness
01-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Eating venison and drinking beer? It was questionable before, but govt is officially awesome.

gcn_zelda
01-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I dunno. I never thought it was questionable.

Darkness
01-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey, I'm sorry. I signed up for this site like two years ago, and I don't know if I used it at all until a little while ago (if I did, I posted like once). So, in a way, I'm a newbie :)

axon
01-05-2005, 05:02 PM
warm beer (i told you I'll make it)...its on fd since their img tags work: http://www.flashdaddee.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=137076#post137076

-KEN-
01-05-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm with govt. I used to drink beer only to get drunk, but now I enjoy the taste of quite a few beers. Now I drink them for the taste, AND to get drunk.

Also, if I get drunk off of cruddy beer like Bud Light or Miller Light, I get so hung over in the morning.

Govtcheez
01-05-2005, 05:18 PM
A word to you youngins out there. Grocery shopping when you're hungry is expensive. "I'm going to buy lettuce and cheese" turned into "lettuce, cheese, Killians, a bag of chicken breasts, a few lean cuisines, and some muffins"

Govtcheez
01-05-2005, 05:39 PM
First beer of the night: Harpoon IPA (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/10097/311/)

I'm immediately suspicious because this beer has almost no head at all. The nose is pretty standard for an IPA, but smells a little watered down. It's hoppy but not. Pours a amber color, leaning towards yellow. Tastes how it smells; a watered down IPA. There are hops and then the flavor's just gone. No aftertaste at all. Also, NO LACING, which makes me upset. 4/10, and only because I love IPAs