PDA

View Full Version : question of the day

The Brain
12-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Whoever said, "I want to write spyware for a living when I grow up...?"

How many people here who are willing to admit have been tasked by their companies to write spyware...?

On the average.. how much does the average entry level spyware developer make..??!?

Stack Overflow
12-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Hello,

After reading this article, Sick of Spam? Prepare for Adware (http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,63345,00.html), it dawned on me. Maybe there is no salary for making spyware. After all, there are over 10,000 different types to protect yourself from. They get bundled with software, freeware, or any type of installation and bombard your computer after that. Just create them, and push them on the market.

- Stack Overflow

The Brain
12-29-2004, 01:42 PM
i'm seeing colleges offering intro to spyware/adware development comming soon... :rolleyes:

Aerie
12-29-2004, 07:56 PM
How very sad that I can see your prediction being true in my lifetime....

RoD
12-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Its already true in some colleges around here, spyware and stuff to that nature is cheap cheap cheap advertising for companies, and its not going to stop. They can utilize such a large percentage of the market at little to no cost.

sean
12-29-2004, 10:08 PM
i'm seeing colleges offering intro to spyware/adware development comming soon...

Well they used to teach email spam under Marketing. It'll just flow right into that.

dpro
12-30-2004, 12:22 PM
I am sure some of the people who write it are not necessarily given a choice, however saying that, I violently dislike spyware because I feel its un-necessary (well I don't care what brittney spears is doing now or whatever else pops up) but also many time they try to disguise it as something else and insult the user's intelligence.

My feelings aside (as they really won't change anything) its one of those things I am afraid we will have the deal with, people wanna sell you stuff, and they really couldn't care less if you hate them or not, SOMEONE is more than likely gonna buy the darn thing.

I can only support the anti-spyware people and try and contribute as best as I can.

The spyware developers probably make as much as a normal software dev, which would probably range between $30-50k per year.

Thankfully I work in a place which has no products to sell, so I have never and hopefully never will be asked to write such a thing.

pablo615
12-30-2004, 03:40 PM
My spyware bundling overlords keep me locked in a basement in Kansas. I have to churn out spyware day after day, and all they let me eat is stale cheetos.

On the plus side the health plan is top notch :D

I do think that a lot ofspyware is written by people who actually think they are helping. They think they are providing a valuable service by selling your browsing habits and such so that you only see advertisements that they assume you would be interested in. They fail to understand that all advertising is annoying, regardless of whether its something you would actually buy or not. Poor deluded fools think they are doing us a favor...

no-one
12-30-2004, 04:26 PM
>My spyware bundling overlords keep me locked in a basement in Kansas. I have to churn out spyware day after day, and all they let me eat is stale cheetos.
<

see even they realize your less than human, making that I am sillyI am sillyI am sillyI am silly.

The Brain
12-31-2004, 06:37 AM
IF anyone here does write adware or spyware for a living.. i understand that you have to put food on the table etc.. i was just have a couple of questions:

1) How did you end up in the spyware/adware development business

2) What types of spyware have you written.

3) Where do you see yourself in 5 years.

novacain
01-02-2005, 12:21 AM
I interviewed for a position that turned out to be for a scam company. Their major business was sending adverts that looked like invoices. Domain name registration was a big one. First aid kits another.
All linked to phished sites with false information/ regulations/ prices.

They wanted me to write 'security tools'. Got a hint of something wrong in the second interview and ran a search on their company directors (as multiple company names hid real activities). Found what they actually did and said no to the job.

Now I look again, they seem to be moving ahead in leaps and bounds.

http://domainwatch.org/

sean
01-02-2005, 12:28 PM
1) How did you end up in the spyware/adware development business

2) What types of spyware have you written.

3) Where do you see yourself in 5 years.

4) How do you live with yourself?

apsync
01-02-2005, 12:46 PM
<removed>

sean
01-02-2005, 12:54 PM
You didn't answer my question...

RoD
01-02-2005, 01:53 PM
simple, hes a undertalented self centered jackass....

mmm its good to be rod again.

andyhunter
01-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Lets put this all into perspective here. Most of us have morals and decide for ourselves what is right and wrong. Unfortunately spyware and adware are not illegal, so no laws are being broken.

Now you may not agree with the people who produce these things however that does not necessarily make them bad people.

RoD if someone came to you and said I will pay you $1 million US dollars to create this piece of spyware what would you say. Be honest. 15, 800 euros in 2 months comes out to around 8,000 euros a month. Which the last time I checked came out to around 11, 200 US dollars.

Lets all be honest with ourselves here.

RoD
01-02-2005, 02:50 PM
me personally? No, i wouldnt. Intrusion is against the law, and 99% of all spyware is intrusion by loopholes and user stupidity.

RoD
01-02-2005, 04:49 PM
While were on this topic, CNET recently had a battle of the software, if you will, to find the best spyware removal tool. They found right along with me, i use number 1 and 2 on a daily basis, twice a day. Along with AVG pro and Norton. Good for a read, i think they did a very nice and fair review.

http://www.download.com/Spyware-Obstacle-Course/1200-2023_4-5135091.html?tag=navtop

novacain
01-03-2005, 12:34 AM
They missed HijackThis. Harder to use though.

>>Most of us have morals and decide for ourselves what is right and wrong.

I can afford to have morals at the moment. If I couldn't?

>>Now you may not agree with the people who produce these things however that does not necessarily make them bad people.

The companies who PRODUCE these things do so ONLY for profit.
(as opposed to those who are paid to write them because they need money or experience)

They make a profit violating my privacy and stealing information about me (I would not otherwise disclose to them).

I think that makes them a bad company (people).