PDA

View Full Version : Trivial questions - what to do?

Aerie
12-16-2004, 07:41 AM
I'm in the process of teaching myself C.

The problem is that, while I have a copy of K&R and C: A Reference Manual, I often have strange, trivial, or very abstract questions that are sometimes difficult to find answers to, even with the resources of this board and the almighty Google at my disposal.

Since these questions are numerous, and tend to breed quickly, I do not at all want to clutter up the C board with ~20 topics a day, each asking a different question which is, frankly, almost insignificant on its own. It's the collective nature of these questions which presents a problem. Add to this that I've some issues with staying awake for more than a few hours at a time, and learning becomes a slow business.

The question I have is this:
Would it be a good idea to make one "Aerie's adventures with C" thread, and just update it as new questions make their appearance?

I don't know if there's some unspoken rule of forum etiquette I might breach by doing this, nor whether it'd be effective for what I need, since I have no idea if people would soon get tired of answering nattering questions all the time and just ignore me.

So, would this be a good idea? If so, should I make a new post each day with the outstanding questions listed, just continually edit the original post, or something else entirely?

Does anyone have a better idea?

Any/all constructive input is welcome.

sand_man
12-16-2004, 07:44 AM
When you have a problem/question or a general group of them, then create a new thread. That is what the board is for. It's best not to reuse the same thread over and over because it gets too hard to read when the thread gets to long, plus it is kinda pointless.

Govtcheez
12-16-2004, 07:44 AM
I'd prefer the "Adventures in C" thread to having 20 threads a day. You could just post new questions in that thread. You may want to break bigger questions off into their own threads, though.

And no, you're not breaking any rules I'm aware of, but I'm glad you asked :)

Salem
12-16-2004, 07:46 AM
http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/index.html

Aerie
12-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the link, Salem, but the questions I have are more often than not questions which are not touched on by the exercises(at least, the ones I've gotten to) in K&R...

I'll keep that link in mind, though.

Aerie
12-16-2004, 08:13 AM
When you have a problem/question or a general group of them, then create a new thread. That is what the board is for. It's best not to reuse the same thread over and over because it gets too hard to read when the thread gets to long, plus it is kinda pointless.

I was thinking of retaining the old questions after they're answered, with the answers quoted - it would make a handy reference for 'trivial, stupid questions' that I could consult later, since my memory invariably fails me eventually.

Prelude
12-16-2004, 11:32 AM
> often have strange, trivial, or very abstract questions that are sometimes difficult to find answers to
Strange or abstract questions tend to be fun for us here. Trivial questions are never trivial to the asker, and most of us recognize that.

My recommendation is to do research first, then if you don't find anything, ask your question. If you think it's too trivial or that the frequency of new threads is too high, one of the senior members would be happy to advise you on where to go next through PM. Most of the time, you'll be asked to post a new thread so that others can learn from the question, but it may be that the question can be answered quickly through PM or by redirecting you somewhere that the answer can be found.

There's no rule against starting a lot of threads, but if you catch C+++C_foreveritis then people might be a bit annoyed with you. ;)

Aerie
12-16-2004, 12:02 PM
That sounds like a dreadful disease.

I actually am not much of a thread starter, unless I think the questions or comments therein are of genuine use.

Prelude
12-16-2004, 12:24 PM
>unless I think the questions or comments therein are of genuine use.
That's a dangerous attitude. Well, not really dangerous, but not very helpful. The only ones who can judge how useful questions and comments are, are the people who read them, not the people who write them. Take this common exchange for example:

How do I [something funky]? What I've been doing is [something really awful]. Here's my code:

[random includes]

void main()
{
[ugly ass code]
}

>void main()
This is wrong. [explanation why]

Whoa! I didn't know that, thanks a bunch [people who helped].

Cut to a similar scene on another forum:

y0 d00dz!!!!1 can u peepz he11p me w/ my [suspicious program, probably a lame hack that will never work]? i sw34r iz leegl, chek itz

[unnecessary includes]

void main(){
[god awful code]
}

thx in adv!!11

==<<!!--((d00dz0r |-|4><0R))--!!>>==

Hey man, void main is wrong, guy. [explanation why]

The moral of the story is that even though Prethanquzlem thought nothing of the same boring "void main is wrong" answer for the Nth time, and R. B. Noob ignored the post because it didn't answer his question, Interested Lurker got something out of it and spread the love.

Aerie
12-16-2004, 12:51 PM
Good point.

Zach L.
12-16-2004, 02:55 PM
If you can logically group the questions, that'd be good, but you don't seem like the type who'll be randomly flooding the board with random nonsense or stuff trivially found on Google, etc, so when you have a question, feel free to ask.

And of course, there is only one true reason why we avoid 'void main()': to escape the Salem Witch Trials. ;)

Aerie
12-16-2004, 03:08 PM
I'll try to avoid that, yes... lotta times, though, I'll find a trivially simple to find answer, and somehow obfusticate it in my head to the point where the resulting question takes hours just to interpret.

gcn_zelda
12-16-2004, 04:17 PM
>> Prethanquzlem

Let me guess...

Prelude, Thantos, Quzah, Salem?

Prelude
12-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Any resemblance to real people, places, or events is purely coincidental...

Jez
12-20-2004, 01:00 PM
"Aerie's adventures with C" sounds like a good idea. Especially as you write so well.

I have an idea that learners make better tutors than experts in many ways, especially when it comes to the trivial stuff that experts have long forgotten about.

sean
12-20-2004, 02:04 PM
That sounds like a dreadful disease.

And one we know only too well. Symptoms include lots of red, rectangular spots varying from dark red to a lighter, shinier red, severe temper tantrums, and inability to concentrate. Sexual side effects may occur.

sean
12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
"Aerie's adventures with C" sounds like a good idea. Especially as you write so well.

"The Compiler Monologues"

Aerie
12-25-2004, 07:22 PM

I have an idea that learners make better tutors than experts in many ways, especially when it comes to the trivial stuff that experts have long forgotten about.

Hee. Well, I can agree with you about the concept of beginners being good at offering lateral perspective to other beginners, at least.

I think I will give the 'Adventures with C' idea a try, since I've gotten a few good comments back about it.

After all, it'll be pretty clear all-round if it bombs.

Aerie
12-25-2004, 07:25 PM
"The Compiler Monologues"

Oh my god.
I can't decide if that's really brilliant, or just plain wrong.

sean
12-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Probably the first one. I'm always saying things that have a sexual connotation and not realizing it until I say something that really makes people laugh. In a nearby town called Eaton, the student body of the high school wanted to change their mascot to the beaver. It got quite far before someone put a stop to it. As this story was told in my class, it took a very detailed explanation from my English teacher that I wish I had never had for me to get the joke.

Govtcheez
12-26-2004, 08:20 AM
Oh Sean, you're so innocent :(

sean
12-26-2004, 08:21 AM
You should hear the stories back when I thought a Magnum was just a handgun...

Aerie
12-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Topic drift: not just a good idea, it's the LAW.

SourceCode
12-26-2004, 09:44 AM
I didn't read all the posts, but these are the best C tutorials I have found on the internet. IMO, this is better than K & R
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/cclass/cclass.html

That, along the comp.lang.c FAQ list, should answer hopefully all your questions. Note that the class notes are meant to accompany K & R but they can be used as a standalone to learn I think. The author, Steve Summit, being a veteran newsgroup user, is much like a forum user in the sense that he is very anal about doing things that precisely and conforming to the standards. His class notes are written very very well.