PDA

View Full Version : Programming for fun and profit



Aerie
12-14-2004, 05:41 AM
I'm curious, why did folks here learn to program?

Was it necessity, potential income, just for fun, inadvertant, or something else entirely?

adrianxw
12-14-2004, 06:15 AM
Laziness. The ICL mainframe at my uni back in 1977 could produce the statistical scattergrams I needed for a palĉontology project with a lot less effort from me then the manual method I had been using before.

sand_man
12-14-2004, 06:38 AM
For fun and work.
I dont actually work yet though I'm still a student.

Govtcheez
12-14-2004, 06:57 AM
I heard the famed adrianxw was a programmer, so I immediately started learning.

Prelude
12-14-2004, 07:14 AM
I didn't want to look stupid to my (ex-)boyfriend who programmed. Shortly after I found the joy in it and continued to do it for fun.

Govtcheez
12-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Didn't you say one time that one of your reasons for breaking up was that you were a better programmer and he was jealous?

kermi3
12-14-2004, 08:51 AM
All my friends were doing it.

ober
12-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Always had an interest in computers... figured programming was just one more step in mastering the beasts. Started for fun, playing around with little things and then I got to college and it kinda took off.

However, truth be known, it took me a while to catch on in my first Pascal class. My team members did most of the work. I still got like a 97 in the class cuz it was cake. I did eventually learn it tho. And then I found useful languages ;)

Perspective
12-14-2004, 10:32 AM
I went to fill in the "Rock Star" bubble on my college application and accidentally filled in "Computer Science"... go figure.

B0bDole
12-14-2004, 10:57 AM
>I went to fill in the "Rock Star" bubble on my college application and accidentally filled in "Computer Science"... go figure.

LMFAO

Prelude
12-14-2004, 12:47 PM
>Didn't you say one time that one of your reasons for breaking up was that you were a better programmer and he was jealous?
Something along those lines, yes.

Micko
12-14-2004, 12:59 PM
>Didn't you say one time that one of your reasons for breaking up was that you were a better programmer and he was jealous?
Something along those lines, yes.

Prelude is(n't) a guy!?!

Oh, my god!

:):)

Rouss
12-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Because when you're the only one in your hometown that can do it... (not a very big town by the way... Barely qualifies for townhood)... or wants to, whichever. It's a sign from God.

Actually I think it's fun. Hopefully I'll be able to do it for profit one day... Programming I mean.

Govtcheez
12-14-2004, 01:03 PM
> Actually I think it's fun. Hopefully I'll be able to do it for profit one day... Programming I mean.

If you're the only one in your area that does it, there's no reason you can't do it for profit now.

alphaoide
12-14-2004, 01:10 PM
I knew nothing about programming when deciding my major. I came from technologically backward and country, and I was still using win3.1 when everybody already uses win95. So when I came to US, I tossed a coin betwen majoring in music and computer science. You guess what the coin said. Anyhow, overtime I've found that programming is quite fun. Never regreted the coin made decision for me :)

Rouss
12-14-2004, 01:24 PM
> Actually I think it's fun. Hopefully I'll be able to do it for profit one day... Programming I mean.

If you're the only one in your area that does it, there's no reason you can't do it for profit now.

Yeah, but I'm at school now, far away from my hometown. When I go home I do spend some time helping people fix their computers. My last trip was filled with adware/spyware scans, installing firefox,thunderbird and what not...
That's a good idea though. I should find out if any business back home need some custom software... I tried convincing the grocery store in town that it should have a website, and that I could build it for them. But they said they didn't need one... You know, with most of the homes not having internet or even computers... Eh, what can you do.

jlou
12-14-2004, 01:51 PM
When I was deciding how to earn an income, programming was the best combination of being fun and being easy.

major_small
12-14-2004, 04:06 PM
...was the best combination of being fun and being easy.really...

I program because programmers are more l33t than networkers... those illiterate grunts...


idk... I just found logic very interesting at a young age, and then one math teacher suggested programming, but I brushed the suggestion aside. then I learned a little HTML and found it cool that now I could do those kinds of things with computers, and came to the realization that I already knew alot more about computers than alot of other people.

then I jumped into C++ and read tutorials up past classes, and had no clue what I was doing. then after a day of a formal C++ class, I was doing functions before they were doing variables, and by the end of the class I was touching on inheritance and polymorphism while they were doing basic functions.

since then, the science behind programming has kept me here... and I still feel sorry for everybody who just learns in class and never goes out of their way to try to get a better understanding of (any) language or how a piece of code we're taught works. people still get annoyed at me when I take 20 minutes drilling the instructor for answers on how a particular algorithm works and why it's better (or sometimes not better, for example or compared to orElse in Visual Basic.NET)...

nvoigt
12-15-2004, 12:33 AM
When my world domination plans failed ( bet that was you Prelude... always wanted that pesky world for yourself, didn't you ? :P ) I changed the means and subjugated some helpless machines instead. Way easier, way more fun *presses-Alt-F4-to-see-a-harmless-app-scream-and-die* muahahahaha...

novacain
12-15-2004, 01:48 AM
It was something where you worked in airconditioned comfort, got free caffeine and there was very little chance of getting blood/spew on your clothes.

nvoigt
12-15-2004, 01:50 AM
hm, I don't have aircondition and I don't have free caffeine. Very little blood up to now though...

Hermitsky
12-15-2004, 02:51 AM
>Didn't you say one time that one of your reasons for breaking up was that you were a better programmer and he was jealous?
Something along those lines, yes.

incredible ...
i used to think programming is a job for man.

adrianxw
12-15-2004, 03:23 AM
>>> very little chance of getting blood/spew on your clothes.

Tip, avoid the medical equipment business. Been there, done that, stains on the T-shirt.

ober
12-15-2004, 08:41 AM
incredible ...
i used to think programming is a job for man.SEXIST PIG! :mad:

Actually, I know some very good female programmers. And one hot one ;)

VirtualAce
12-15-2004, 09:25 AM
I learned to program in order to create games. But that pursuit has led me into a lot of areas in programming. While I was at a college studying a totally different field I taught myself C/C++. Prior to college I had already mastered BASIC and realized that the language just didnt have enough power to do what I wanted.

But the pursuit so far has taken me from BASIC to C/C++ to assembly to Direct3D, sound programming (both DX and DOS), OS development, etc., etc.

I guess I like to know how the whole thing works so saying I'm in it just for games is not entirely true...as many of my posts here would indicate.

So far I've not done any of it professionally although hopefully that is about to change. Watching your code control really big machines and/or a manufacturing process is quite satisfying.

major_small
12-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Actually, I know some very good female programmers. And one hot one ;)stop hitting on prelude already :rolleyes:

dpro
12-15-2004, 11:33 AM
I learned programming actually fairly late in the game here, started when I was about 18 or 19. I'm about 25 now, so I've been poking at code for a while, but didn't become serious at it until recently. Computers always fascinated me, and so I found myself working with them as much as I could and finding that I liked programming... creating my own software very fun and intriguing for me. So anyway, I do it for the pay(professionally) yes, but I also do it because I like to program, its like learning a new language, and to me learning something new is always fun.

elad
12-15-2004, 12:10 PM
I couldn't figure out why the people in IT at work couldn't access the information we non-IT people wanted. So I started learning about their language(s)/tools. Eventually I found out about free compilers for C/C++ and started writing some simple stuff on my own. Now I understand a lot more about what they do and how I can better communicate with them, which is good because our business is becoming more and more dependent on digital information. On top of that, I've found that programming is a very satisfying hobby, though it won't replace my "real" job.

RoD
12-15-2004, 12:24 PM
All my friends were doing it.

you've never programmed a day in your life, ADMIT IT!

ober
12-15-2004, 01:18 PM
stop hitting on prelude already :rolleyes:Actually, I wasn't. So I guess that makes 2. I was actually referring to a girl I went to college with. GC can back up any claims I make.

RoD
12-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Getting behind ober is govt's specialty :P

Govtcheez
12-15-2004, 01:47 PM
> I was actually referring to a girl I went to college with. GC can back up any claims I make.

Damn straight. She's single again, too - I should give her a call.

ober
12-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Damn straight. She's single again, too - I should give her a call. :( I was looking forward to coming back to MI to party, too. Oh well, that's not too unexpected.

Lurker
12-15-2004, 02:51 PM
> I was actually referring to a girl I went to college with. GC can back up any claims I make.

Damn straight. She's single again, too - I should give her a call.

I saw your picture on the fajita thread - you think she'll WANT to go out with you :) ?

ober
12-15-2004, 03:04 PM
I kinda hope he just bans you for that. :)

Aerie
12-16-2004, 06:00 AM
Heh, some interesting stories here.

Mine's not as interesting as all that, I just want to know how to make these damned machines do what I want. Plus I'd like to be able to write games at some point. Wouldn't hurt the ol' resume, either.

Lurker
12-16-2004, 12:19 PM
I kinda hope he just bans you for that. :)

Just bad rep :( .

Brain Cell
12-16-2004, 12:33 PM
I got into programming because some people said i couldn't do it. Then i found myself hooked up and kept on learning. I enjoy the challenge\logic it has , too.

Govtcheez
12-16-2004, 12:49 PM
> Just bad rep .

I didn't give you any bad rep at all :mad:

Aerie
12-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I enjoy challenges/logic, too... hoping I can improve my cognition a bit by exercising the old brain a bit by learning this stuff.

Lurker
12-16-2004, 04:28 PM
> Just bad rep .

I didn't give you any bad rep at all :mad:

Oh....I assumed it was you who gave me bad rep on that post with the message "easy, i am serious" :rolleyes: . Please don't smite me....

7smurfs
12-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Well, my school is patheticly poor so I decided I migth as well teach myself something if the school won't.