PDA

View Full Version : Have an idea?

B0bDole
12-13-2004, 12:10 AM
I have a break between semesters and I'm bored. Have an idea for a program but don't have the time to code it? I WILL!!

Just give me the idea, and I'll code it and you can have all rights to it, whatever, I'm just really freaking bored.

The possibilities are endless, but I rather not do a game.

So give me an idea

dagdarian
12-13-2004, 04:32 AM
What about a coffee program, "filter coffee from your floppy". you'd make millions. only kidding,

there was a guy looking for somebody to code a modified chess engine. I was going to have a go at it but didn't get the time, i beleive he was going to give 50 dollors to whoever made one. Have a look through the project/recruitment board.

B0bDole
12-13-2004, 10:35 AM
>but I rather not do a game.

And a chess engine is something that almost every programmer has done.

major_small
12-13-2004, 10:43 AM
make a game.

try coding some kind of physics simulator? maybe even a flight sim core?

Thantos
12-13-2004, 10:46 AM
A calculator that keeps tracks of significant figures for use in chemistry. It should be able to know when a number is a exact number and when its not. It should only keep the correct number of sig figs and should round correctly.

B0bDole
12-13-2004, 03:14 PM
>And a chess engine is something that almost every programmer has done.

edit:
And a chess engine and calculator is something that almost every programmer has done.

Govtcheez
12-13-2004, 03:17 PM
A sig fig calculator's pretty different than a regular one.

Rouss
12-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Try thinking of something that you might need or want.
Example, I wanted to organize my mp3s by artist... So I am writing a program to do that for me... Although it is written in perl (love regex in perl), I plan on writing a C version during the break... Right now I'm making a gui for it with gtk-perl... I imagine I might do the same with the C version.

Maybe you can take an older project you worked on and make a gui for it.
gtk.org/tutorial is a good place to start.

Just an idea.

Govtcheez
12-13-2004, 03:45 PM
That's not a bad idea.

Make me a program that goes through my MP3s and renames the files in a predefined format. Bonus if the folder structure is regulated, too.

c:\MP3s\Artist\Album\Track # - Song Name.MP3

Rouss
12-13-2004, 04:04 PM
My program/script goes through my downloads directory, renames all the files, stripping out special characters and whitespace, moves them to my All/directory. Then it takes a list of artists and which directories their songs belong in, checks every song for each artists, and if it finds one it makes a link to that song in the artist's directory.

So if I had a song "/Music/Downloaded/artist1 & artist2 - this song!!!!!!.mp3"
it would be moved to "/Music/All/artist1artist2thissong.mp3"
not pretty, still working on a better format
then I would have
"/Music/artist1/artist1artist2thissong.mp3" and
"/Music/artist2/artist1artist2thissong.mp3" as links to the song in All/
Great for keeping them organized to make it easy to play all music or just the ones I pick.
Of course, it only works on *nix machines because of the links, and a system calls.

To make it in the format c:\MP3s\Artist\Album\Track # - Song Name.MP3 would take a little bit more work... Having to know which song is which track on which album... Especially if the song only has artist and title.

I'm sure a windows version would be a good project for the break. And Govtcheez might like it, as well.

Perspective
12-13-2004, 04:05 PM
c:\MP3s\Artist\Album\Track # - Song Name.MP3

...and make it multi-platform so i can use it too :)

Thantos
12-13-2004, 05:24 PM
edit:
And a chess engine and calculator is something that almost every programmer has done.

A sig fig calculator's pretty different than a regular one.
Govtcheez is right. A calculator isn't that difficult but one that calculates sig figs is harder then a normal. Especially if you put in other features such as being able to put in things like "2.45*10^4" (or to make it easier: "2.45E4") or being able to tell the difference between "20" and "20."

Besides you are asking for ideas. Nothing says you have to do them but you could at least be greatful that people are trying to help you out.

Govtcheez
12-13-2004, 05:34 PM
> Having to know which song is which track on which album...

Most of them have ID2 or ID3 tags, so it could look at those. It's not like it has to look at CDDB or anything.

axon
12-13-2004, 06:00 PM
make a unix shell

Rouss
12-13-2004, 07:14 PM
> Having to know which song is which track on which album...

Most of them have ID2 or ID3 tags, so it could look at those. It's not like it has to look at CDDB or anything.

Right, I'll have to read up on accessing those. Probably not hard.
Thanks

major_small
12-13-2004, 07:53 PM
see how many digits you can (accurately) calculate pi to...

sean
12-13-2004, 07:55 PM
There's a mathematical series for pi - search the forums - we discussed it recently in GD. You could also do e?

Zach L.
12-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Make a program to accurately calculate 3 to any arbitrary precision.

Or write a program to figure out the question to 42. :D

Govtcheez
12-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Right, I'll have to read up on accessing those. Probably not hard.
Thanks
I really don't know how hard it is. It's just something I've wanted to do for awhile, and I figure that if he's offering... :)

major_small
12-13-2004, 08:21 PM
make a program that changes bits in random memory locations until your computer stops ticking

or create two programs that try to hunt eachother out and kill eachother by copying themselves into a memory location that the other is occupying... see which one wins, if either...

bithub
12-14-2004, 12:17 AM
Create a database. This is the sort of project that can be easy or hard depending on how high your standards are, and how much time you have to code. You can do something simple which just stores static sized data types into a flat file, or you can go as far as creating a database which can support the Structured Query Language.

Databases get more interesting once you start considering the ramifications of the database being larger than the available RAM, or once you start tailoring search algorithms to get you the best bang for your buck :)

Govtcheez
12-14-2004, 02:07 PM
So bob, when can I expect my MP3 sorter?

Thantos
12-14-2004, 02:20 PM
I did a search for posts by B0bDole with the word "code" in the post. I got back just a handful and not one of them had any of his own code in it. Makes you think....

dagdarian
12-14-2004, 02:21 PM
...and make it multi-platform so i can use it too :)

And perl is specific to Mac i hear

Thantos
12-14-2004, 02:21 PM
You heard wrong, very very wrong.

dagdarian
12-14-2004, 02:24 PM
sorry i forgot to the the [sarcasm] tags

Thantos
12-14-2004, 02:28 PM
;):p

dagdarian
12-14-2004, 02:28 PM
$os = <>;
chomp($os);

if ($os ne "mac")
{
die "blehblah.";
}

Rouss
12-14-2004, 02:52 PM
$os = <>;
chomp($os);

if ($os ne "mac")
{
die "blehblah.";
}

I like this better (although the regex is probably buggy)

$os = chomp(<>);
die "blehblah" unless ($os =~ /(.*n[ui]x)|(mac)/i);

B0bDole
12-14-2004, 04:11 PM
>I did a search for posts by B0bDole with the word "code" in the post. I got back just a handful and not one of them had any of his own code in it. Makes you think....

Two reasons
a) I don't ask for help with programs on this board (or any board for that matter), weird I guess.
b) I haven't helped anyone on this board, I believe I did under my old name, cgawd.
c) I don't know why you hate me but, for every second you hate me I love you for 3. :-p

edit: wait that's three reasons whoops

Thantos
12-14-2004, 04:23 PM
I don't hate you

Jez
12-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Or write a program to figure out the question to 42.

I believe that's been done. I take it to be a literary reference.

How about writing a text editor in bash?

Or a front end (UI) for my incredibly fast Game-of-Life engine.
Or an implementation of my fabulous probablistic chess engine (This one definitely hasn't been done before).

I have a thousand other great ideas for programs, mostly lurking in the dark recesses of my mind, although some have escaped and started to flourish on the backs of old envelopes. I don't know if I'm blessed or cursed.

algi
12-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Make something like a sheduler (I hope thats spelt right.) Something where you enter what your doing, when time, priority, that kind of thing

B0bDole
12-17-2004, 02:19 PM
I like that idea algi, thanks

Govtcheez
12-17-2004, 02:38 PM
I like that idea algi, thanks
:mad: You can already do that in a thousand programs - mine was actually something I don't know of another solution for.

B0bDole
12-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I want a custom scheduler!

Rouss
12-17-2004, 04:22 PM
:mad: You can already do that in a thousand programs - mine was actually something I don't know of another solution for.

If I ever get a windows version of mine working, you'll be the first person to know.

khpuce
12-27-2004, 06:55 PM
This is something I want to do when I have some free time. I don't know about you guys but whenever I found a good website, I copy & past the address in a text file (sometimes with a line of comment). But then the list gets so big that later I can't remember why I saved a particular web address or many times I just can't find the one I am looking for. So, I was thinking of creating a nice gui that will put the web addresses in different categories with some comments so that I can easily find the one I look for. I was also thinking about adding a shortcut that will take the web address directly from the explorer address bar, bring up my application automatically and put the address there in a predefined location so that I just enter some comments about the site and save it.

Perhaps you can do it for me ! :rolleyes:

andyhunter
12-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Jez:

Quote:
Or write a program to figure out the question to 42.

I take it to be a literary reference.

*GASP* *FAINT* *RECOVER* The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series? I know you've heard of it, come on.

Govtcheez
12-28-2004, 07:26 AM
This is something I want to do when I have some free time. I don't know about you guys but whenever I found a good website, I copy & past the address in a text file (sometimes with a line of comment). But then the list gets so big that later I can't remember why I saved a particular web address or many times I just can't find the one I am looking for. So, I was thinking of creating a nice gui that will put the web addresses in different categories with some comments so that I can easily find the one I look for. I was also thinking about adding a shortcut that will take the web address directly from the explorer address bar, bring up my application automatically and put the address there in a predefined location so that I just enter some comments about the site and save it.

Perhaps you can do it for me ! :rolleyes:
The :rolleyes: makes me think I'm missing something, but why don't you just, I dunno, bookmark them.

khpuce
12-28-2004, 10:26 AM
but why don't you just, I dunno, bookmark them.

Well I might me wrong but won't having too much bookmarks slowdown my computer? Even if doesn't slow down the machine, I think it still will be difficult to find the one I need from a big list. I am talking about a minimum of say 50 or more web addresses.

The idea I mentioned above is something I think will be helpful for my (or anyone else's I guess ) personal use. Also (I think) it will be easier to distribute the important addresses among friends.

But hey,...ITS JUST AN IDEA ! :)

Govtcheez
12-28-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm pretty sure bookmarks aren't going to slow down your computer unless you have a ton of them (not 50). As for organization, just label them well, and it should be no problem. I have a lot of bookmarks at home, and have no problem navigating them.

Sang-drax
12-28-2004, 05:38 PM
[I put my web addresses in a text file]
Are you serious?
No offence, but that's the weirdest thing I've read in a while.
A GUI to manage bookmarks in categories? Please use the built-in functionality in your web browser.

it will be easier to distribute the important addresses among friends
bookmarks.htm already contains all your bookmarks. If you're using IE, press File->Import and export->Bookmarks.

VMJC
12-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Make your own coding language :-p

khpuce
12-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Hmm...I didn't know bookmarking could be that helpful. Thanks Govtcheez and Sang-drax. I'll use the bookmark feature and hopefully shall find it convenient :)

IfYouSaySo
01-12-2005, 08:36 PM
How about a multi-platform distributed lock manager using multicasting. I know it's only a weekend project, but it's something at least.

JavaJones
01-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Actually, as someone with over 1000 bookmarks, I would find it *very* useful to be able to enter notes and description for each bookmark. Some functionality for instancing or linking bookmarks at bookmark-time would also be useful. For example I use many categories for my bookmarks, and sometimes a given site will fit into several categories. Do I bookmark it 5 times, once in each category, just to make sure I don't miss it? Usually I just put it in the one that makes the most sense to me at that time, but I've had plenty of cases later on where I'm thinking a bit differently, or looking for the site for a different aspect than I originacally categorized it for, and lo and behold I have a tough time finding it. Advanced search tools in bookmarks would also be useful. Even going so far as to be able to cache the 1st (or a user selected) page of a site and search on *that*. I do also find that the number of my bookmarks slows things down a bit, though I'm on a somewhat older machine. So yes I would find a 3rd party bookmark organizer a very useful thing. Ideally it would be implemented as a browser toolbar and/or plugin for mozilla/firefox and IE, and others eventually. A stand-alone program would be acceptable but not as nice.

Buuut, that's not the real reason I'm here! :D I imagine it's too late by now, the break between semesters is no doubt over, but I do have a couple of program ideas I'd love to see make some progress. Among them are a particular kind of digital camera review/comparison application (of special interest to me as I am currently shopping for one - and yes I'm already aware of the comparometer, etc. at imaging-resource.com), a system for bundling a media player and movie file together in a single executable, and a pluggable stand-alone benchmarking tool for graphics applications. If any of these general descriptions sound at all interesting, please contact me for details.

I have a great deal of thought put into some of my ideas, several of them written up in "design documents" which would hopefully make it easier for you to understand and implement. And of course this is not limited to B0bDole, either. I would love to hear from any interested programmers. In particular I think the bundled media player idea could be very useful, and you'd have a head start being able to base some things off of open source code in Video LAN Client, Media Player Classic, and the Xvid codec.

- Oshyan