PDA

View Full Version : You're kidding, right?



Govtcheez
12-10-2004, 08:56 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/09/terrorist.laser.ap/index.html

Is this the point where we can all agree that they're really, really reaching?

exluddite
12-10-2004, 09:04 AM
The axis of Dr. Evil.

LuckY
12-10-2004, 09:16 AM
It seems extremely plausible in my opinion. I was just reading the other day in the New York Times something very similar. It seems that intelligence indicates that terrorists, in their hunger for new ways to murder people, will board aircraft and when in mid-flight wait for the pilot or co-pilot to have a pair of scissors in his hand. Once it's there the terrorist will scare him and make him run in the hopes that he will fall down and poke his own eye out, thus rendering him unable to land the plane.

Govtcheez
12-10-2004, 09:32 AM
> he will fall down and poke his own eye out, thus rendering him unable to land the plane.

I hear that every pilot in the country is getting a BB gun for Christmas as a similar tactic.

7smurfs
12-10-2004, 10:15 AM
It seems extremely plausible in my opinion. I was just reading the other day in the New York Times something very similar. It seems that intelligence indicates that terrorists, in their hunger for new ways to murder people, will board aircraft and when in mid-flight wait for the pilot or co-pilot to have a pair of scissors in his hand. Once it's there the terrorist will scare him and make him run in the hopes that he will fall down and poke his own eye out, thus rendering him unable to land the plane.
Why would a pilot EVER carry scissors in his hand during a flight?

Govtcheez
12-10-2004, 10:26 AM
What if he needs to make paper dolls?

To be serious for a second, I wonder how long we'll be forced to be afraid of everything.

prog-bman
12-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Pretty sure there will be a terror alert for the danger of kleenex. You know terroist could maybe shove it up your nose and down your throat and kill you

major_small
12-10-2004, 10:32 AM
To be serious for a second, I wonder how long we'll be forced to be afraid of everything.
when we first started this crap, I was wondering how long it would take until we all have to strip down and have an MRI done, then board the plane in hospital gowns and have our stuff delivered in another airplane following ours... of course all at our expense... until the same soccer moms that call for better security measures then feel like comlaining about security guards 'going to far'... wtf... if you want security, you have no choice but to give up some liberties... make up your mind and stop pushing the blame around.

another thing to ponder: if I tell you every day that I'm going to plant a bomb in your neighbor's car the next morning, you won't care, because it's just an idle threat.

then the neighbors car explodes
with a kid in the back seat.

guess what? you knew it was going to happen, so you should have told them. it's your fault now.

LuckY
12-10-2004, 10:37 AM
To be serious for a second, I wonder how long we'll be forced to be afraid of everything.
Well, I'd guess it will die down a bit at least until the next election nears. Perhaps we can vote old Jeb Bush in next time 'round.

But my real serious answer to your question: I don't think it will ever let up because the player haters in the Middle East will never stop trying to terrorize and murder USAmericans, ever. I heard a report where many of them have their women fly to America while pregnant and have their baby so it is a U.S. citizen then fly back to BFE with the little monster where they can properly train it to grow up and return for destruction (or maybe even to become president [highly unlikely, but possible], which reminds me, I hope people aren't so stupid as to really change our constitution so the Terminator can be prez; argh!).


Why would a pilot EVER carry scissors in his hand during a flight?
So he can cut his toe nails. What else?

Govtcheez
12-10-2004, 10:48 AM
> or maybe even to become president [highly unlikely, but possible]

I believe that to be President you have to be a natural born citizen AND have spent a minimum amount of time in the country (or on American soil, like embassies or military bases)

> I hope people aren't so stupid as to really change our constitution so the Terminator can be prez; argh!).

I've never really heard of a good reason not to do this, honestly. I don't know why people think the best person for the job just has to be born here.

LuckY
12-10-2004, 10:59 AM
I believe that to be President you have to be a natural born citizen AND have spent a minimum amount of time in the country (or on American soil, like embassies or military bases)
Yeah, and? They could be born here, go back home to be psychologically perverted, and come back as a 21 year old waiting 14 years for their 35th birthday at which point they'd be eligible for the presidency.


I've never really heard of a good reason not to do this, honestly. I don't know why people think the best person for the job just has to be born here.
Well originally I'm sure the founding fathers didn't want some British twit coming over and winning people over then trying to turn America into a monarchy. Being born in another country leaves a question in the mind of the public with whom their true allegiance lies. I especially don't feel that the constitution of our great nation should be changed solely because people want one man to be it's leader. The constitution means something to me and I don't want to see it tossed around like a wet paper towel.

Govtcheez
12-10-2004, 11:09 AM
> Yeah, and?

Relax, Mr. Touchy - when I read that I thought you were implying they'd just hang out in Iraq for 35 years, come in, and win our hearts. My mistake.

> Being born in another country leaves a question in the mind of the public with whom their true allegiance lies.

Hasn't Arnold been a US citizen for like 20 years? Besides, what about people who were born and moved here when they were very young? It's silly to think they'd have allegiance to somewhere just because that's where their mother's uterus was when they were born.

> I especially don't feel that the constitution of our great nation should be changed solely because people want one man to be it's leader.

I'm not saying it should be changed because of Arnold. I don't especially want him to be President. I just think it's an outdated amendment that's time has come.

prog-bman
12-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Ya. I guess it would not be so bad if they changed it to a non natural born citizen but put a limit on the age of it. Maybe something like if the were under the age of 10 or maybe less that wouldn't be so bad.
On another note would anyone else like to see younger presidents. I find it rather tiring that all these "old" men run our country. I think it would be nice to see like a 35 year old president. That sure would shake things up a bit.

LuckY
12-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Relax, Mr. Touchy
I'm not oversensitive or anything. The written word does not properly convey an author's emotions much of the time. By saying, "Yeah, and?" I simply meant, "What's your point?" because I was unable to derive one from your comment.


It's silly to think they'd have allegiance to somewhere just because that's where their mother's uterus was when they were born.There is a subtle but meaningful difference in what I said and what you're calling silly. I simply meant that in the collective mind of the founding fathers and the founding general public they could not be sure about what was truly in a foreigner's heart. Whether the public still feels that way only an election could determine, but I personally think that in this modern era it would be acceptable for a naturalized citizen (who meets other stringent requirements) to be a presidential candidate because, as you said, looking at the simple act of being born elsewhere without any other requisites is not an accurate gauge of who a person is or what his/her motive is.


I'm not saying it should be changed because of Arnold.
I didn't think you were, but thanks for clarifying. I did vote for him for governor, by the way, but I'm unsure as to whether or not I'd vote him in as president.


I just think it's an outdated amendment that's time has come.
It's actually not an amendment, but an article of the original constitution. I disagree.


I think it would be nice to see like a 35 year old president.
That'd be refreshing. Of course the last time a young (relatively speaking) president was elected, his brains ended up all over his wife's lap. Without the proper charisma and fanbase, however, I think our current conservative country would be wary of voting in someone who lacks experience. She'd have my vote, though.

Zach L.
12-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Hahaha! Thanks for that article Cheez! Thats the most amusing thing I've seen in a while (the sad part is that these DHS nitwits are serious about everything). They are really reaching for straws. :p

*edit*
Perhaps they can even come up with a new terror alert color for this thing. I'm sure it would be a great thrill for the holidays for them if they could go out and by a new colored light bulb.

no-one
12-10-2004, 12:29 PM
>Is this the point where we can all agree that they're really, really reaching?

no this is a legitimate threat... if i remember right the military looked into this for bringing down enemy helicopters... so did the russians...

but not sure its plausible for terrorists...

and further the president being a citizen is for a reason((i.e. our protection), and its an integral part of our constitution... dont be I am sillyI am sillyI am sillyI am sillying dumb asses and give congress the impression they can just change whatever they want...

and besides... if Arnold was president, that would me demolition man was prophecy...

B0bDole
12-10-2004, 12:40 PM
>http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en

well they can if they have 2/3rds majority on one side

like back in 1840-1860, that whole slavery and civil war thing-a-ma-bobber

edit:
hahah my clipboard sucks, but ill keep that link up there, because that new google thing is cool. but i'm reffering to what was said in previous post

Govtcheez
12-10-2004, 03:02 PM
> if Arnold was president, that would me demolition man was prophecy...

Eesh, that would be scary.

> (i.e. our protection)

How?
There is a subtle but meaningful difference in what I said and what you're calling silly. I simply meant that in the collective mind of the founding fathers and the founding general public they could not be sure about what was truly in a foreigner's heart. Whether the public still feels that way only an election could determine, but I personally think that in this modern era it would be acceptable for a naturalized citizen (who meets other stringent requirements) to be a presidential candidate because, as you said, looking at the simple act of being born elsewhere without any other requisites is not an accurate gauge of who a person is or what his/her motive is.I was embellishing a little bit so I could use the word "uterus", I'll admit. Regardless, if you think that it could work, why are you against it?
The written word does not properly convey an author's emotions much of the time. This is a problem frequently encountered on here. I'll just take whatever you say in the best light possible and we'll use that.
I did vote for him for governor, by the way, but I'm unsure as to whether or not I'd vote him in as president.I'm pretty damn liberal, but I may have voted for him for governor, too (if I lived there, of course). He had some pretty terrible competition between Cruz "Giant Racist" Bustamante and the other freaks that ran. I'd probably have voted Coleman, though. :cool:
She'd have my vote, though.Hehe, sneaky sneaky

LuckY
12-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Cruz "Giant Racist" BustamanteHahahaha.

and the other freaks that ran.Come now, Mary Carey is not a freak. ;P

I'd probably have voted Coleman, though.HAHAHAHA!

Hehe, sneaky sneaky>:) Uh oh, looks like someone's paying attention.

Regardless, if you think that it could work, why are you against it?I'll tell you exactly why. I think about those old wig-wearing, grey-haired, balding founding fathers. I have the utmost honor and respect for them what they did for the world. I picture them sitting around in the capital, Philadelphia, and forging a document called the Constitution of the United States of America containing all the rights and protections they could possibly imagine, then I picture Arnold coming along and wiping his sweat off on it after a short workout (he's old now) and it makes me nauseous. Truthfully, I'm like most American's, in that the constitution is very meaningful to me and I don't think changes to it should be taken lightly. Should it have originally restricted the citizenship of potential presidents? At that time, yes. They were afraid of the Brits or the Frogs coming over and damaging our country. Is that fear still valid today? Maybe, maybe not. Will that fear still be valid in the future? Ahh, who's to say? Perhaps that's why they didn't set a time limit on that restriction (although they did permit anyone who was a naturalized citizen at the time of the signing of the constitution to become president). Maybe they put it there for a good reason and we should keep it intact. I can't guarantee myself that if a foreigner is ever elected president he won't do something detrimental to the people of our country and all around our planet. Nothing bad may ever happen, but just because you live in a nice neighborhood, it doesn't mean you should feel comfortable leaving your front door unlocked. That's just the way I feel.

Govtcheez
12-10-2004, 05:41 PM
> I can't guarantee myself that if a foreigner is ever elected president he won't do something detrimental to the people of our country and all around our planet.

Honestly, though - how could a foreigner screw up the country any worse than a natural born citizen?

VirtualAce
12-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Dunno we've screwed it up pretty good so far.

manofsteel972
12-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Why don't they just tint the cockpit windows? Or give the pilots some cool shades. With all the bright landing lights they should still be able to see even at night. Like it is a major thing that they couldn't think of a solution?

novacain
12-10-2004, 11:30 PM
On terrorism in the media....

http://opednews.com/wade_121004_santa.htm

"It is a pre-9-11 mindset to think that it is ok to have someone sneaking across our borders and “visiting” homes late at night, dropping off unmarked packages.”

"When asked if these packages were actually referred to as “presents” by the incarcerated, Mr. Ridge replied, “Yes, there is apparently no end to his twisted sickness”. "


If GWB can legislate to allow Arnie (non US born citizens) to be Pres, why not legislate so two terms is no longer the limit?

I find it hard to understand how ALL the errors in exit polls (and most machine malfunctions) are in GWB's favour.
From what I have been reading on the government protocols for certifing voting software and ensuring only certified versions are used, GWB could pass anything he wants.

Particularly with the people who are involved in Florida, Ohio and Diebold ect (given their conflicts of interests).

>>Well, I'd guess it will die down a bit at least until the next election nears.

Not if John Titor was right....

SMurf
12-11-2004, 09:06 AM
They were afraid of the Brits or the Frogs coming over and damaging our country. Is that fear still valid today? Maybe, maybe not.
Sure it is. I could quite happily pop over to your place and kick a trash can in. If anyone challenges me I can say "Butbutbut, I saw a terrorist in there! I was afraid they might blow themselves up and/or hurt someone, so I did it to scare the I am silly out of them, you know, "standing shoulder to shoulder"?. And to break my foot.

Ow." :p