PDA

View Full Version : Programming Contest Ideas?

bookworm
12-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Hi,
There's gonna be a programming contest in our college soon. I wanna participate and would like to create something in the .net platfrom.
The problem is , I can't think of a program to create. Please help me ou, just pop your ideas, be it web applications or text editors, whatever...just say it....soon.
Thanks,
Bookworm.

whackaxe
12-04-2004, 04:02 AM
an automatic homework-thread deleting script :D bet that would please the judges (assuming they are teachers) :D

nickname_changed
12-04-2004, 09:56 AM
I think something that can solve a problem outside the IT domain, like a program that can calculate some simple definite integrals (for maths) or some sort of chemistry app with the table of elements and that can understand and parse those molecular thingies (don't do chem) would go down well with teachers, as not only would it be somewhat complex, but it addresses a problem you or your peers might face (and thus has some real world value).

Programmers are here to solve problems for businesses or for other people, and not just for the sake of coding. I think by recognising this in your application you would deserve a few bonus marks.

Zach L.
12-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Calculating definite integrals is not a particularly difficult task. Calculating indefinite integrals on the other hand, or even symbolic differentiation could be a little bit of a challenge, though.

B0bDole
12-04-2004, 04:00 PM
write a program that is your girlfriend, I've always wanted to code myself a girlfriend.

Dave_Sinkula
12-04-2004, 04:28 PM
write a program that is your girlfriend, I've always wanted to code myself a girlfriend.Reminded me of Girlfriend2.0 (http://www.jimpoz.com/jokes/girlfriend2.0.html).

xddxogm3
12-04-2004, 04:47 PM
girlfiend1.0 was the funniest thing i have read in a long time.